MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• kblu0816
    kblu0816 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Ok runners...I've been wanting t oget back into it but it's just too F*&#ing humid and hot!!! PLUS even though I have been working out inside with videos and such I noticed a bad thing....my feet hurt in the morning and I mean like I sprained something or my arch is screaming (I have a high arch). I normally workout in the evenings since that is the only time I can. This weekend I'm going to try and workout during the day and then walk around but I'm afraid that I'm going to need orthodics. I'm only 22!!! Someone or anyone have any input??
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ran my little tail off last night!
    Got home from work and ran my couch-2-5k group. Not bad, only at week 3. Afterwards my housemate and I ran a full 5k. About half way through we ended up getting caught up in a thunderstorm - it completely changed the run. It started hot and humid, ended cool, wet, breezy - perfect weather IMHO.

My 5k time still sucks terribly - 40 minutes (I could almost walk that fast!), but at least I know I can do it on sunday. Then again, I was mostly jogging because it was my first time on the course - still - beginning to think I'll never be a fast runner, haha.

Running another 5k tonight, and another tomorrow, both extremely hilly courses. Then rest saturday and race sunday.

Also found an iphone on the side of the road. Gotta take it to the at&t store and see if they can find the owner. Tried turning it on and seeing if there is a home number but its locked and I can't get in. Boo!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    - Msarro, your 5k time does NOT suck, it's awesome!! there is so much to be said for running 3 miles at a time without walking, I think it's amazing :flowerforyou:
    -kechie- enjoy your rest day dear
    -and hello and happy running to you all

I ran 7 miles this morning and so far so good :wink: I am hoping to be relatively pain free today and tomorrow so that I can get back on my long run schedule for Saturday
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Good morning!
    Had my tempo run today -- 7 miles (5 at 8:38pace)
    Did 1 mile warm up
    2.5 miles at 8:41 pace
    2.5 miles at 8:34 pace
    1 mile cool down.

WOOHOO!!! I finally finished a tempo run without stopping!!!! My confidence has been restored :bigsmile: ! Happy day!

Emmyleww -- was thinking about a note you wrote -- when I put 6.5 easy miles -- that doesn't mean i think they are easy. The training plan I use from runners world has four types of training -- tempo runs, speedwork, long runs and easy runs! So by no means do I think 6.5 miles are easy -- I just did them at the suggested "easy" pace! :bigsmile:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Good morning runners. Went to the track and ran 2.5 miles. I wanted to run 3.5 miles but I stopped running when I felt the little twinge in my shin. I thought I should not really push it. I have also found that running around the track by myself really stinks! I have no one to push me or talk to so I can set the pace however. I did my 2.5 miles in 28 minutes.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning Runners! :smile:

Been a long time since I stopped by here. :embarassed:

Anyone ever feel like the more they run the more they regress??? I feel like I'm dragging butt every time I go out. :explode:

Good job on the morning runs! :drinker:
  • msarro
    Options

Anyone ever feel like the more they run the more they regress??? I feel like I'm dragging butt every time I go out. :explode:

When's the last time you took a break for a few days? Sounds like overuse/fatigue.
  • Emmyleww
    Emmyleww Posts: 278
    Options
    WOOHOO!!! I finally finished a tempo run without stopping!!!! My confidence has been restored :bigsmile: ! Happy day!

Emmyleww -- was thinking about a note you wrote -- when I put 6.5 easy miles -- that doesn't mean i think they are easy. The training plan I use from runners world has four types of training -- tempo runs, speedwork, long runs and easy runs! So by no means do I think 6.5 miles are easy -- I just did them at the suggested "easy" pace! :bigsmile:

Great job on the tempo run!:drinker:
    I did think you meant 6.5 miles was easy. It's all clear to me now. It just sounded so lackadaisical and I was jealous. You know, you could have let me keep thinking you were a superhero. I would have never known.:laugh: I do appreciate the clarification though. It does make me feel a teeny tiny bit better.
  • jabdye
    Options
    Wow -- and to think I just knocked myself out of super-hero status :grumble:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options

Hey Shannon:smooched:

Absolutely! I am running 3 days a week now. Instead of 4-5 and I feel GREAT. Plus, I am seeing consistent inprovement in my times and I'm losing 0.5 a week without trying. Go figure!

:heart: -Kechie.
  • msarro
    Options
    Hot on the heels of the 5k on sunday, I'm considering running another 5k on the 30th of this month. The local zoo is hosting one, and its got some really cool features. Namely - you're running through a wildlife reserve, and zoo. Plus there are two points where I'll be running through a creek which both sounds wonderful yet painful.

The biggest downside though is the whole course is on the side of a mountain, which means nonstop hills. But still, animals and water!!! :laugh:

If anyone else is in south east PA...
    http://runwildatlvzoo5k.com/default.aspx
  • ldbenincasa
    Options
    Hey folks! I have been having a fair amount of pain in my left hip lately, in the front, near the groin area. I asked my personal trainer about it (she's not a runner), but she thinks it is probably hip flexor pain. She reccomended rolling it and stretching. Of course, I always stretch after my runs. I did roll it Tues. and today. I can run on it and it actually doesn't bother me too much during a run (downhill hurts some), but it really gets stiff and tender when I walk, especially if I have been sitting for a while. I have been increasing my mileage lately, but carefully; no more than 10% per week, as I prepare for my first half in Oct. I really don't want to rest more than a day or two, since I have the half coming up and have been working so hard to get ready for it. On the other hand, I don't want to push it too much and have an injury that prevents me from running at all. Any thoughts?
  • jabdye
    Options
    Msarro -- I checked out that zoo race -- looks amazing. Too bad it's 6 hours from me or I would join in!!! Keep signing up for races -- it will keep you motivated to continue your training. Good luck!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

Yep! That is why I only run 3 days a week. My usual schedule is Tues, Thurs, and Sat. It keeps me from getting injured and great for cross training on other days!!
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! :flowerforyou:

Haven't posted in a while, but I've been around and and have been running!!! That's what it's all about right?:happy: Anyway, Over the weekend I was in the mountains of NC and ran along the Blue Ridge Parkway for 4 miles and it was beautiful and HARD! Those mountains!

Last night I did a quick 3 miles, and tonight I'm going to at least 4 on the treadmill. Too hot outside here in Nashville.

Still debating on whether I should sign up for a 10k in Oct. Nervous!

Cheers! :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    First treadmill run in ages!! It was raining this morning so my buddies and I decided not to head out at 5AM. :wink: So I ran 4 miles on the treadmill, then swam 650 yds. My kiddos are back to school so now I can get back to my Y routine! :bigsmile:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options

don't be nervous -- if you can do 4 miles in the Blue Ridge, you'll have no problem with a 10K on flat land (we drove through those mountains last week)

heading out now for my first 10K run in more than a month...send oxygen please, to my attention
  • msarro
    Options

don't be nervous -- if you can do 4 miles in the Blue Ridge, you'll have no problem with a 10K on flat land (we drove through those mountains last week)

heading out now for my first 10K run in more than a month...send oxygen please, to my attention

If you're in need of oxygen, it may be better to send it to the attention of your running buddy :)
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Hey folks! I have been having a fair amount of pain in my left hip lately, in the front, near the groin area. I asked my personal trainer about it (she's not a runner), but she thinks it is probably hip flexor pain. She reccomended rolling it and stretching. Of course, I always stretch after my runs. I did roll it Tues. and today. I can run on it and it actually doesn't bother me too much during a run (downhill hurts some), but it really gets stiff and tender when I walk, especially if I have been sitting for a while. I have been increasing my mileage lately, but carefully; no more than 10% per week, as I prepare for my first half in Oct. I really don't want to rest more than a day or two, since I have the half coming up and have been working so hard to get ready for it. On the other hand, I don't want to push it too much and have an injury that prevents me from running at all. Any thoughts?

I'm in physical therapy for the exact same thing...even the same side!
    Mine is NOT an injury...yet, just an imbalance in leg muscles. I have way overdeveloped my quads and my glutes, hips, hamstrings are lagging.
    I was also having mobility issues with it so my PT did the most horrible painful *massage* on it yesterday....I'll try to explain...the physical therapist buried her fingers into the front of my hip/groin and put all her weight onto it while I had to fully extend then bend my leg ....I've had 4 children...this was the 5th most painful experience of my life! She did 3 reps...I can't remember the name of the muscle,(not an obvious muscle like hip flexor) but it lays across the pelvis and mine was in a huge knot...so the shoving it against the pelvic bone while moving my leg *broke up* the knot...I'm getting queasy just writing about it, that's how much it hurt, but....I have mobility in my left hip that I haven't had in years! It's amazing!
    She said it's fine to continue running, but I MUST< MUST<MUST!!!! stretch everyday, minimum 20 minutes a day. She has given me some great new stretches as well as exercises to build the lagging muscle groups.
    Apparently I am very tuned in to my body which isn't a bad thing, but when I start getting one area out of whack, I immediately begin compensating which creates other issues. I'll be checking in with this PT every 6 months for a body alignment check/form spot because she has helped me so much! And I've been amazed at how just a little form tweak completely changes everything.
    I would recommend a session or two with a physical therapist. They can give you great suggestions, exercises and stertches. It's worth every penny IMO!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

btw~ cycle yesterday, 2 1/2 mile run today with cycle and circuit trining afterward. Going for 7-10 tomorrow....we'll see how it goes!

Becky
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    jess's kids are back in school...watch out--this woman will be doing an ironman in no time!! haha!:laugh: