What's similar to P90x Recovery formula

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    It's mostly high glycemic carbs for a reason.

Why to shuttle nutrients to your muscles and increase MPS? Or to rapidly replenish glycogen stores when it isn't necessary unless you have another glycogen depleting event shortly upcoming?
    Okay:

1. What are high glycemic carbs?
    2. What is MPS?
    3. What are glycogen stores and how does it help/hurt the muscle building process?

Ready go! :P
    1: HFCS works well
    2: Muscle protein synthesis
    3: Glycogen is stored in muscles and your liver. When it's depleted during training chances are you may begin catabolizing muscle for energy.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Okay:

1. What are high glycemic carbs?
    2. What is MPS?
    3. What are glycogen stores and how does it help/hurt the muscle building process?

Ready go! :P

High GI carbs are carbs that when tested in an isocaloric state on fasted subjects have been been shown to spike blood glucose levels higher then other carbs

MPS = Muscle Protein Synthesis

Glycogen is stored glucose and used for energy. Thus if you were to deplete it all and you had another event shortly upcoming you'd want to rapidly replenish them, other then that, no need to rapidly replenish stores and certainly not within mins of finishing your workout

Hm... so high glycemic carbohydrates are like SUPER CARBOHYDRATES that make it so you can have super intense workouts. Or get fat. Depending on what you're doing. Maybe not super related to the recovery drink?

MPS is good. We like that. Grow muscle faster, less pain - always a good thing. It sounds like this is what we're concerned about, right? This is what makes me sore the day after a workout, when my muscles grow back. My understanding is that the recovery drink gives my body the appropriate nutrients to take the protein I ate today and turn it into muscle cells. Does that sound right?

Glycogen is stored energy...... doesn't sound like that has anything to do with the recovery drink, just energy in general. Sounds like you get that from like... food. That sound right?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and a banana.

Or chocolate milk.
  • StoryGirl9
    Options
    I love the recovery formula myself, but as I am vegan and sugar free for the month, I am not using it. I do miss having it as I feel like it helps me not get the munchies after I work out (currently doing P90X2). That being said, you could really do anything with a 4 carbs/1 protein ratio. Low fat chocolate milk is a good alternative. I am currently using the vegan tropical strawberry Shakeology after my workouts, but I know that is even more $$. Really, listen to your body. Are you completely drained, shakey, cranky after workouts? Then you probably need something. The post with the recovery drink from the nutrition guide might be one place to start.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I love the recovery formula myself, but as I am vegan and sugar free for the month, I am not using it. I do miss having it as I feel like it helps me not get the munchies after I work out (currently doing P90X2). That being said, you could really do anything with a 4 carbs/1 protein ratio. Low fat chocolate milk is a good alternative. I am currently using the vegan tropical strawberry Shakeology after my workouts, but I know that is even more $$. Really, listen to your body. Are you completely drained, shakey, cranky after workouts? Then you probably need something. The post with the recovery drink from the nutrition guide might be one place to start.

Why a 4:1 cho:pro ratio?
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options

i thought that was the recommended 'post-workout' basic ratio...? no? and if a recovery shake isn't necessary, then why do we read this all over the place?
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You don't need any post workout recovery formulas... In fact its these formulas that keep people fat in the first place. Do your workout and have your next meal whenever it is!
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Yea, I read somewhere about the 4:1 carb to protein ratio too. I blend and drink the following after my workouts:

15g soy milk
    40g oatmeal
    100g banana
    1 Tbsp peanut butter

This gives me 60g of carbs and 15g of protein.
  • earnestfarley
    earnestfarley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I personally would not purchase it. For recovery, I use BCAAs (Monster Amino) and protein. Often a cup of milk with 1 scoop of protein in it. If you are taking in carbs, then even a sports drink will do the job, after a workout the body uses carbs immediately as fuel, so it won't go to fat. Post workout 20grams protein and 40 grams of carbs should be the limit.
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I use herbalife. The protein and carbs are about the same as in the p90x recovery drink, but instead of whey protein, it uses soy and has less cholesterol so it is better for you.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    In my opinion recovery drinks have their place, THEY do help you to recover IMO & they do help with next day pain, which can impact on your ability to push to the max on your next round. A good one is Endurax R4 but there are others, chocolate milk has the 4 parts Carbs to 1 part protein which is recommended.

That said & done I no longer use a drink due to cost, I now use L - Glutamine powder & take 5g twice a day with my whey shakes & try to get more sleep & drink plenty of water, if you think you are drinking enough, drink some more it all helps.

Russ
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    Just eat food. If you like having it in shake form, that's fine. I find having a shake-like drink after a hard workout is easier than trying to mow down a big hamburger or something. Yes, I get hungry after busting my *kitten* on Plyometrics, and I almost always have a ton of calories available because of it (yesterday I burned over 800 doing Plyo). So, I grab some yogurt, milk, and various fruits and slap them in a blender. I do it because it's tasty, easy, and I have the calories.... but there's no need to specifically eat directly after a workout. Studies have shown there's no magic window to when you eat versus how you recover. The body just isn't that well timed.

Yes, if you're going to go for a 5 mile run after Plyo, by all means, please, load up with some sugary stuff so you don't bonk. But if you're going to have a meal or two before the next workout, don't worry about it. You should be getting enough protein through out the day that you don't need a special protein drink... again, eat some real food, and it'll come. Chicken breasts, fish fillets, even a burger, some yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, beans..... it all adds up really fast. Most people eat plenty of carbs, so they don't need to worry about what they burn during their workouts.

If you like the P90X drink and you don't mind paying for it, that's fine. But there's no real magic to it.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have never had their recovery drink. My chiropractor (who is also a fitness trainer and into clean eating) advised me that their recovery drink is full of sugars and junk.

I use soy milk, whey protein isolate, and frozen berries to make my own after workout drink. (can't eat bananas).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

i thought that was the recommended 'post-workout' basic ratio...? no? and if a recovery shake isn't necessary, then why do we read this all over the place?

To sell supplements and misinterpretation of studies, the 4:1 ratio comes from a study done on endurance athletes
  • awaters2879
    Options
    Good question Witney.

i'm a p90x fan, but BB supplements are mediocre. p90x is not magic...it's just structure. the beachbody 'coaches' etc are going to tell you supplement xyz is awesome and push them because they have a chance to benefit from the sale.

i just want to throw it out there of why you see so much marketing for beachbody supplements lately. there's a giant multilevel avenue via the coaching benefits. i will even say that i noticed this trend as i did newer BB DVD's. 'buy the recovery drink, buy the select tech dumbbells, buy xyz' etc. etc. all i am saying is that i have personally recognized a more aggressive marketing campaign by BB, and supplementation is big business. the same can be said for when you go into a vitamin store, they're going to push all kinds of things on you. just be skeptical of any source, and any recovery formula.

it is more important to eat well balanced meals that fit your plan throughout the day. do the things that equate to hard work and you will come out with greater satisfaction and knowledge of what it takes for you to reach your goals. believe in yourself and you will be blown away at what you will accomplish. it is great that you are doing a program with someone. keep each other going.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm doing P90X right now and I have been for a while. I HIGHLY recommend the recovery drink. If you're going to buy anything from beachbody, at least get the recovery drink, lol. You can get multivitamins and protein bars anywhere, but that drink is one of a kind. If I don't have it after my workouts, the extent of how sore I get is completely ridiculous. I tried to replace it with L-Glutamine powder and some vitamin supplements, but it just didn't cut it. I love the recovery drink and I recommend it. And that's all I have to say about that. *shrug*

I agree, P90X Recovery Formula really does keep the soreness away. When I use it, no soreness the next day. That's the only Beachbody supplement I use.

PS: cute kitty
  • Marquettedominos
    Marquettedominos Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There is nothing like a tall glass of chocolate mile after a workout.
  • krocker69
    Options
    There was a website I found that says there formula is almost the 4:1 ratio as bb formula. I use it cause it's cheap, after my insanity workout I use a 1/2 cup of oats, 1 tablespoon of whey protein, a medium size banana (6-7 inches) and enough water to fill a tall class (about 2cups). I blend it for about a min, it sometimes comes out grainy cause of the oats but I don't mind chugging it after my workouts and I hate the taste of oatmeal. I'm still alittle sore but I'm almost done with week 3 of insanity and I'm still kicking haha. So instead of $50 dollars for 25 servings like bb it comes out to $10 for 25 servings.
  • Jester1920
    Options
    I see a lot of scandalous stuff in this thread.

I'll break it down to common sense.

If you can adjust your diet quickly enough, or can listen to your body's needs and fuel your body appropriately without the supplement, by all means.

The P90X recovery isn't a bad suppliment, but I wouldn't recommend using it for a long time. Creatine isn't the best for you, and while it does help you with things like, muscle soreness, increasing muscle mass(kinda.... fills the tissue with water mostly....) quickly, but every day use isn't great for your body.

This recovery is a carb drink(mostly sugar) with some vitamins and creatine in it(in a nutshell). The creatine can/will definitely help you early on keep up with this work out. No denying it. You can get fast results, and it will help you keep up with the work out. But, once you have results, you should reduce the amount and stop using it all together. It's not necessary, and messes with your body a bit(pulls water into your muscles).

So.... if you want the same thing.... you can drink a cup of chocolate milk and a gatorade with creatine in it. You get about the same effect if you take a multivitamin daily.

You can also get the same effect by eating a whole wheat sandwich with non processed meat, veggies, pickles, and a creatine infused glass of cranberry juice as well and be extremely healthier in every way.

The result most are getting from this supplement is probably the creatine. Do some research on it. Basically, it pulls more water to your muscles and helps keep it there. This will make you more thirsty, and you will gain weight quickly at the start(water weight). Your muscles will be a bit puffy as well(women beware, you will gain a few pounds, and your muscles will seem bigger in a hurry. This could just add definition, and it could add a little bulkiness. You are thus warned.), so those macho guys will love the stuff and swear by it. It's not a miracle substance. But it by all means does help those who are out of shape(a little or a lot), have a metabolism that's a bit sleepy, or those guys that want to bulk up quickly.

FYI, P90X is not a builking workout....... It is a VERY good work out, geared toward getting lean, strengthening, and balancing your body. But if you want to get big, P90X isn't the work out for you.
  • _danjo_
    _danjo_ Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling like I really worked out extra hard with P90X, went for a run, or woke up a bit hungry (I work out first thing in the morning, before 5am), then after my workout I'll have a glass of chocolate milk. Then I have a regular breakfast about an hour later--usually egg white/spinach/feta scramble--and I'm fine until 10 or so. Sometimes I'll have a banana/strawberry/spinach smoothie with a scoop of protein powder, but that doesn't last me as long.

Some days I'm more sore than others. The legs and back routine gets me every time, but the others not so bad. I expect to be kind of sore--it reminds me that I'm working hard. :happy: