Food for one....

Options
So it is just me and my 7month old son, so when I need to make dinner or lunch I'm basically cooking for just me. I'm tired of eating plan old boring things. Anyone have any easy dinner ideas that are good for one person? I defiantly do not mind left overs, I just hate having tons of left overs then end up going to waste.

Replies

• KitchenCourses
    Options
    I'd recommend using ingredients that are already perfectly proportioned, like bell peppers or potatoes, then stuffing them with whole grain warm salads to bake them off. You can also try making batches of larger meals or meals for four (like soups or healthy pasta dishes) and freezing one-serving portions. Here's a blog post I did on the topic for reference: http://kitchencourses.com/ask-rachael-meals-for-one/
  • NurseCarolyn2014
    Options
    You could also make a dish that serves 4 and freeze the leftovers in individual serving sizes. That way you have healthy freezer meals that probably aren't loaded with sodium.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You could also make a dish that serves 4 and freeze the leftovers in individual serving sizes. That way you have healthy freezer meals that probably aren't loaded with sodium.

I agree.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I live alone at school, so I'm a big fan of getting the individual filets of frozen fish. Salmon, tilapia, cod...easy to put over rice or a bed of spinach, or with steamed frozen veggies..! The filets thaw within minutes, so don't have to think about it far in advance.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Must admit, living alone, I am hitting the same issue. I end up having fish, rice and veggies and to be honest, that gets pretty boring after a while. Either that or I have a baked sweet potato with cottage cheese and veggies. I try and avoid pasta and bread, as wheat doesn't agree with me that much, and I have never been one of those people naturally into cooking, so... I used to make big stews, but the combo of beans and veggies used to really do a number on my gut so I quit those. I really must look through a cookbook with simple but interesting recipes for a single pescetarian.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I cook for one half the time, due to conflicting work schedules. I am a freezer junkie, so every time I buy meat, I freeze it in single portions. I even do this with cheese, veggies, sauces, etc.
    Thing like the frozen tilapia fillets work great as well.
    You do have to think out your menu a little in the morning and take whatever you want out of the freezer, but it saves you from making way too much.
    (It also helps stop me from over eating, which I so love to do!)
    If you are worried about recipes, most sites, like allrecipes.com, let you alter how many servings, and will adjust the ingredient amounts for you.
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Orrr, since that gets boring....:P
    I'm the queen of one-skilet cooking! Throw some onions in to caramelize, then protein (chicken? ground beef? tofu?), whatever vegetables you have, sun dried tomatoes, garlic....endless combo possibilities! Takes a bit of prep time, but it's worked well for me as a lone eater. Plus there's never a big mess, since you're making it all in one big pan.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm the queen of one-skilet cooking! Throw some onions in to caramelize, then protein (chicken? ground beef? tofu?), whatever vegetables you have, sun dried tomatoes, garlic....endless combo possibilities! Takes a bit of prep time, but it's worked well for me as a lone eater. Plus there's never a big mess, since you're making it all in one big pan.

I shall try this. Not sure what a skillet is, I have a wok, not sure how close that is to a skillet, lol.
    I better look it up.
  • momo2011Tuck
    momo2011Tuck Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Thanks! Love this idea! I wish I was more of a cook! haha But I think I could handle this.

I love all the ideas! much appreciated!!