New to Biking Question for Ladies, may be TMI

Options
bcl003
bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
I recently bought a used Specialized mountain bike from a friend's wife who is a pretty avid mountain biker and I feel silly asking this but here it goes:

I road the bike for like 10 minutes and the seat hurt me so badly!! I mean it really hurt me because I had trouble sitting on my work chair the next day because it hurt so much, and sex lets just say forget about it for a couple days. So my question is how do I keep this from not happening?? I know its not good to go with a bigger seat because of how much circulation it can cut off, but I really don't know what to do, please help.

BTW I use to ride as a kid all the time and I so don't remember it hurting this much.

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    You will get used to it in a day or two of riding. Biking shorts are a great thing too. They may feel uncomfortable and odd, but if you are going to be doing much riding, you will want to invest. You just sat on muscles and soft tissues you haven't been used to. It too will pass.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need a good pair of cycling shorts. My favorite brand is Shebeast, but there are lots of good ones. Even with the shorts, it will take more than a few miles to get used to it. But it does get better!
  • bcl003
    Options
    Ok I will definitely look into the shorts and then I guess I will just have to suck it up and deal! Thanks for the help!
  • KC4800
    KC4800 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Also, try to not take the full shock of a bump in the road or trail, with your weight full on the seat. Try to transfer a portion of the weight onto the pedals and it will save your hind quarters from bruising. Just a friendly tip. If you see something that looks like it might hurt, stand up on the pedals briefly and absorb the shock with your legs instead.
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In addition to the biking shorts you can purchase a seat w/ more padding (cushion). They make seats with a memory form type of material and gel padding. That might help with the initial soreness. I know lots of women that use these during spinning classes, because the seats are very uncomfortable.
  • eksb
    eksb Posts: 93
    Options
    It gets better! Good shorts and a good seat, make sure your bike is fitted properly. The first rides are the worst! They sell chamois creams to keep everything comfy. I haven't tried it but I hear it works wonders.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem with regular bikes. I can only go so long on a regular "horned" seat bike. The hubs bought me this one when I wanted to start getting healthy. I LOVE LOVE it!! No pressure!!

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_080W408082110001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-110052124-2
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    let me ask this, is it your sit bones that hurt or other parts? If it is sit bones, that goes away, if it is other parts, then the seat might need adjusting
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have a mens seat so I have the canal down the middle and my weight is on the hip bones.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I use a good gel seat on my mountain bike. Makes a huge difference.
  • bcl003
    Options
    let me ask this, is it your sit bones that hurt or other parts? If it is sit bones, that goes away, if it is other parts, then the seat might need adjusting

Both, my sit bones were not as sore as the others though. How do I adjust the seat? Do you mean in height?
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have the SAME problem with regular bikes. I can only go so long on a regular "horned" seat bike. The hubs bought me this one when I wanted to start getting healthy. I LOVE LOVE it!! No pressure!!

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_080W408082110001P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=32-110052124-2

Here's the pic...
    seat.jpg
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I went from butt soreness to avid cycler over the course of last summer, and I can say without a doubt, DO NOT get a seat with more cushion! The cushion actually makes it hurt worse.

What is happening with your butt is that the muscles are getting used to "clinching" the seat. A harder saddle is actually better in the long run. You just have to make sure that you ride with a little bit of consistency. It will go away. I promise!!!!!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options

Both, my sit bones were not as sore as the others though. How do I adjust the seat? Do you mean in height?

More likely for/aft tilt, make sure the seat is level..also, heed chelsoOo's warning about padded seats, some of the most comfy seats are very hard...such as the Brooke's line of seats.
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm afraid you're just going to have to get used to it. I would recommend that you use a special bike shorts with seat padding, and also, upgrading your saddle can be a good move. Good luck.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I went from butt soreness to avid cycler over the course of last summer, and I can say without a doubt, DO NOT get a seat with more cushion! The cushion actually makes it hurt worse.

What is happening with your butt is that the muscles are getting used to "clinching" the seat. A harder saddle is actually better in the long run. You just have to make sure that you ride with a little bit of consistency. It will go away. I promise!!!!!

Yes...a cushy saddle means that material displaced by your sit bones ends up wadded up under your girl parts. The harder the saddle, the better off your privates will be.

Padded shorts help, as does chamois butter/cream. Also, is this bike even the right size for you? If the bike is too big, then you are going to be forced to stretch too far forward, taking your weight from your sit bones and rotating it onto your pubic bone. Sore sit bones are good and eventually they toughen up. Sore pubic area...that will NEVER toughen up, but you can do permanent damage to nerves, which can definitely harm your sex life and urinary function.

Does the saddle have a cut-out? These can really help--especially for us girls. I tried ONE saddle without a cut-out. I knew in a matter of a mile that it was a no-go.

Is the saddle the right size? Too wide or too narrow mean that it's not going to properly support your sit bones. Get your sit bones measured, then go for something ~20mm wider (allowing 10mm of space on the outside of each sit bone).
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    And for god's sake, NEVER do a noseless saddle. You never realize how much that saddle nose is necessary for steering and control of the bike until it's gone--especially on a mountain bike. Your thighs control your bike just as much as your hands/arms do.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    As was mentioned above is the bike the right size for you and then having a proper fit.