Whey Protein
    BCAA's
    Fish
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds... cottage cheese, greek yogurt...

Edamame are really good, 8g of protein in a 90 calorie pack. Peas are good too, 5g protein in a 2/3 cup serving.

^^^^This!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    fish, chicken, shrimp, eggs, peanut butter, and greek yogurt are all good sources
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, turkey lunch meat, eggs, bacon and greek yogurt.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    as I cannot be paying out for expensive powders and bars.

I buy Now Foods Whey Protein Isolate powder (unflavored) the 5lb jug costs $62 which works out to $1.30 per serving (when Super Supplements is having a sale, I can get the jug for right around $30). 105 Calories and 25 grams of protein, 1g sugar, 1g of carbs.

It's really not that expensive.

i also eat PB, cottage cheese, string cheese etc.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i eat it :-)... ok ok.. eggs, chicken, cottage cheese,whey, kashi products.. i'm missing some

oh, peanut butter!!! love that $H!T and other assorted nuts.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for lunch, berries, 2 scoops, almond milk and blend. 50g of protein.

I have a multigrain ciabatta roll with 2 scrambled eggs, ham, reduced fat swiss and that's like 50g of protein (and 500 calories).

I also have a protein bar and my hunk of meat with dinner.
  • tessaahmad
    Options
    greek yogurt, egg whites, chicken bacon
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake for lunch, berries, 2 scoops, almond milk and blend. 50g of protein.

How much almond milk do you use? 8oz? 12oz? Does your shake get super thick? Mine is already pretty thick with 8oz soy+1 scoop+berries
  • willafan
    willafan Posts: 101
    Options
    almonds, almond butter, cottage cheese, greek yoghurt- hardboiled eggs are great too. If you are someone who's not afraid of more exotic food, check out quinoa and chia seeds- together or seperately.
  • davessweets
    Options
    I do a protien shake every day..usually right after i work out just because it helps burn fat faster.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    soup beans, peanutbutter, yogurt, fish ect...
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I wish I had that problem. I'm almost always right on target or over in my protein. I eat smart ones or lean cuisine for lunch, and those are usually 15 or so. Then with dinner, I have some meat, and it usually makes me go over.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I had my first protein shake today. I was nervous about how it would taste, but it turned out to be delicious!!!

8 oz Dole Pineapple Orange Banana Juice
    1 scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Powder

Shook it up in my blender bottle... tasted like an orange julius!

260 Calories, 33g Carb, 3g Fat, 28g Protein

I may reduce the amount of juice next time I make it.
  • mochi1965
    mochi1965 Posts: 12
    Options
    I have a hard time getting enough protein each day. I'm eating plenty of carbs and healthy fats, but I don't know how to get protein besides eggs and a hunk of meat with dinner. What do you eat?

I had that same trouble a while back. i did two things that seem to work for me.
    first, i went on a fact finding mission. i checked out as much of the things that i like to eat and some things i never heard of to know what gave me the most protein to low calorie ratio. for myself i look for things that are around 17-23g protein to 250-300cal per meal.
    second, because i eat 4 meals a day i try to get as much of my protein from food in the first three meals of my day and use the last meal to make up the other nutrients i need. this is working for me so far. so try figure how much protein and calories you need each day and go from there. i hope this helps. :happy:
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Just to add in some more smaller options here are a few more to consider: Lentils, Quinoa, seeds, tofu, soy stuff, and beans.
    I'm not a vegetarian. I had to try and find some more for my husband who liked to skip meals. His favorite is "cliff builder bars" with 22g in one bar and beef jerky.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem you do, but nowadays not so much. I eat between 80-140g of protein everyday. What I try to do is eat 5-6 times, 15-20g of protein each time. I always try to eat protein in every meal. Looked at my diary to get an example:

Post workout (15g protein):
    soy milk
    banana
    peanut butter
    oats

Breakfast (23g protein):
    2 eggs (or 1 egg and 1 egg white)
    lettuce
    2 slices of bread
    onion
    light mayonnaise
    sea salt
    curry powder
    (I made an egg salad sandwich with the above)
    freshly squeezed orange juice

Lunch (12g protein):
    2 slices canadian bacon
    tomato
    1 slice bread
    lettuce

Dinner (38g protein):
    4 oz top sirloin beef
    with a fresh salad

Snacks (10g protein):
    Almonds
    Cereal with soy milk

For a total of 98g of protein. A lot of carbs I know, but I'm eating my carbs for breakfast and lunch, not for dinner. You could also, like a lot of people said, use protein powder, which I do on occasion when I am just not in the mood to eat.

Hope this helps! Sorry if it's too detailed but when I was looking for the answer to this very same question I had wished someone would have posted a sample meal plan so I could have an idea how to spread it out.
  • earlinej
    earlinej Posts: 1
    Options
    Greek yogurt is good for protein
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Lean meats (chicken especially since it's very lean and very high protein), beans, greek yogurt, hard boiled eggs, protein supplements, and my protein bars that are super tasty.

Protein is one thing I can't do all in one sitting usually, so I try to eat at least 20g in the morning, 20-30 for lunch, and 30-40 for dinner.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You need to find out your lean body mass (LBM) first, and it also depends on how lean you are as to how much protein you require to maintain that LBM.

Generally speaking, 1g of protein per lb of LBM is a good estimate. Non-lifters need less, lifters need more. Folks that are heavier (more obese) need less, leaner folks need more.

Also you should always get your protein sources from whole foods BEFORE you start consuming protein shakes. I always try to get my protein from whole foods first. In fact, I look for ways to NOT drink a protein shake.