sweet potato recipes!! help!

Options
i just bought two sweet potatoes and i want to make them into fries or something else yummy but have no idea where to start. what are some of your guys' favorite recipes? are the skins edible or do they need to be peeled?

Replies

• AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The skins are edible.

You want fries? Cut the potatoes into thick sticks, spray a pan with non-stick cooking oil spray, heat the oven to 425, season the sweet potato sticks, spray them a tiny bit with non-stick, toss to coat lightly and evenly with non-stick spray and seasoning and bake until crisp.
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    I have a yummy sweet potato bread recipe that I put in the recipe forum. Do a search in the recipe section and see if you can find recipes there =)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Rosemary-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
    Low Calorie Recipe

By Fitness and Freebies

Roasted potatoes with pine nuts seasoned with garlic, rosemary and parsley. Serve as a side dish to accompany a poultry entree.

Recipe Ingredients

2 pounds sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
    1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
    3 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2-tablespoon dried
    2 tablespooons chopped parsley
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    Recipe Directions

Sweet Potatoes In casserole dish, combine sweet potatoes, garlic, rosemary and olive oil. Toss to coat. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, turning occasionally.

Just before serving, sprinkle with pine nuts, parsley, salt and pepper.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I usually boil and mash. Boring, I know.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Orange-Lime Sweet Potatoes Happy Thanksgiving
    Healthy Thanksgiving Recipe

Recipe Ingredients

Butter-flavored vegetable cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup lime juice
    Salt and black pepper, to taste
    Recipe Directions

Sweet Potatoes Spray medium skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Saute onion and garlic 3 to 4 minutes.

Add sweet potatoes and juices to skillet; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Cook, uncovered, until sauce is thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Nutrition information per serving:
    Recipe makes 6 servings
    Serving size: 1/2 cup
    Calories: 95; Fat: 0.3g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 9mg; Protein: 1.7g; Carbohydrate: 22.3g; Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 Fruit, 1 Bread

See also:
  • carissa317
    Options
    When I make sweet potato fries I peel the potato first, then cut into fry size. coat very lightly with EVOO, a little sprinkle of brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake for around 30-45 minutes (depending on personal prefrence, the shorter amount of time the crunchier the fries.) at 425 degrees.
    I have also heard of using honey greek yogurt as a dip, I tried it and I thought the potatos were good enough by themselves!
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I probably have the most boring recipe. I bake them and eat them. They are excellent for fuel for long distance running.

When I did a half marathon last fall - my fuel in the morning (breakfast) was a large sweet potato.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Dice em, olive oil, onions, salt pepper, garlic, lemon juice. Oven for 20 minutes at 375 or until soft.
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Microwave for about 5 - 7 minutes until soft, then transfer to a hot oven and bake until skin is crisp - about 15 - 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Slice open, add 1 pat of butter to each side, sprinkle with cinnamon (and nutmeg if you like) and enjoy. Very simple and delicous. I eat the whole thing. I prefer the skin crispy though... I make this a meal sometimes.

Or, once baked, remove the pulp, mash with some honey sweetened greek yogurt and add cinnamon. Return to skin and enjoy.
  • mirfan25
    mirfan25 Posts: 45
    Options
    This is sooo simple yet soo yummy :
    - Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into bite sized cubes
    - toss in large bowl with olive oil, pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
    - roast in oven on a baking sheet (arrange in single layer) at 375 until well roasted - potatoes will shrink somewhat and brown (turn potatoes once in a while to get all sides well roasted).
    - Once cooked, take out of oven and let cool to room temperature, then throw potaoes in a large salad bowl and mix in freshly chopped parsley
    - put in the fridge untill cool (this is meant to be a cold potato salad)

I've been making this for a long time and usually serve as a side for company or at BBQs - should be made early during the day to give time to cool down - but everyone who's tasted it has loved it and asked for the recipe (and always surprised to find it's just plain sweet potatoes - the combinaision of roasting and then cooling makes then taste almost "caramelized' hard to describe..)

enjoy :-)
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :)
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Up until yesterday I had never had a sweet potato that wasn't part of a pie :tongue:

I hate cooking, so I peeled it, zapped it in the microwave, then sprayed it with "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" spray. I then sprinkled it with cinnamon. Fast and easy, and so good! I can't wait to buy more sweet potatoes!

Also found this link where people have shared some yummy sounding recipes: http://www.thekitchn.com/-good-questions-293-156909
  • gimmewellness
    gimmewellness Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i Love them as simple as a baked potato!!!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I make my fries with the skin on.

I like seasoning them with salt, pepper, cinnamon, and either chili powder/cayenne pepper. Very interesting flavor combination.
  • megntranr
    megntranr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe, but have you had the sweet potato tater tots from Alexia? YUM
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • polrbear
    polrbear Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just fried some today in extra virgin coconut oil, seasoned with salt and pepper. Very, very good. Sweet potato and coconut flavor work well together.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing is to make a sort of thai inspired soup... I cut up half a sweet potato into fairly small pieces.... skins and all...pop it in the microwave with some water and chicken broth base...a ton of mixed veggies... like sugar snap peas... peppers etc... and then a bit of coconut manna, green curry, and garlic chili sauce...you can add mushrooms too..and for protein, .. chicken or a veggie burger patty... i love black bean burgers :)... I add some salt pepper and dried basil..... i know it sounds strange...bit it is SO tasty! And the sweet potatoes as they cook soak up the coconut curry taste! :) It's very savory.... :)
  • _HollyMarion
    Options
    Bump.