What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options
Hi Ive been obese my whole life but I always had a thing for running my fav runner is Flo Jo. Every since I joined this site Ive gained back my love for running even though I'm 268lbs I can ya know...run with a good pace. Well...my pace but I'm still learning and training. When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?

Replies

• nataliespq
    nataliespq Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I see anyone run, overweight or not, I think, "I wish I was doing that!" When I see an overweight person run (& I've seen some heavy people at the gym have a good clip on the cardio machines) I am impressed with their motivation. It takes me awhile to get into the cardio groove.

Good for you! Keep on running!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome! My running path doesn't always have a lot of other joggers on it, but when I see someone who's heavier out there jogging - or anyone out walking, biking, jogging, really - when I'm driving, I always think, "way to go!". :smile:
  • nikkiej2012
    nikkiej2012 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Well i think its a good start(sometimes i walk/run..mostly walk though) i am just starting to get in to the swing of things and learning how to control my breathing and learning a good stride...i am over weight 2 and sometimes i think the same way as you..but to answer your question i think that there doing something good for their self's ..and MORE POWER TO THEM!!

well good luck with your running :flowerforyou: ..right now i am doing the couch to 5k program..but i mostly do tapes from my local library..
  • MelsieK
    MelsieK Posts: 72
    Options
    One thing I've learnt over my years struggling with my weight, is that we seem to be the only ones who worry about our actual weight when it comes to running, being in the gym, going to gym classes etc. I've got a mate who is a body builder, and when I was at my heaviest he would often train with me at the gym. I asked him about it one day, the whole what you do think of the overweight in gyms etc. His response was he'd rather train with someone who was overweight and really wanted to be there, than train with someone who was thin but couldn't give a crap if they were there or not. And same goes for when he saw someone on the treadmill, out riding, running etc.

So I say go run, have fun and enjoy yourself :-)
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm slow, but I am a runner now. I have been for a little over 6 months now and I can go for 77 minutes straight when I used to not even be able to go for 5 minutes.... I could probably do more but that's all I tested out lol. I am slow, I probably FAST walk as fast as I run, but I do it!

I am bordering on the "obese" line flirting with it. I started running however 10 lbs or more above the line.

I don't really run where people watch if I can help it, but I am proud of myself. I ran/walked a 5k last Thanksgiving. I am hoping to run my first full 5k when I find one that suits my scheldule.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I miss Flo Jo! She was an olympian when I was a HS sprinter. She was such an inspiration to me, too!

I'm still chubby and I'm still slow...but I'm faster than some, even faster than some who are smaller than I. It's all good! Get out there and run, if that makes you feel happy and healthy. Screw what anyone else thinks! :drinker:
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I think good for them!!!

I started running at 340+... anyone can do it... anyone at all of any size.. you just gotta start slow
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome! I saw a pretty heavy runner going along this morning on my way to work. All I could think was (and I'll be honest I was a BIT surprised too) "Woo, look at her go, way to go"

Also running gets easier as the weight drops, just something to look forward to - and it also makes you all the tougher for running while carrying more weight. You're probably working it harder than those people giving you those "looks"
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm always a little self conscious when I go running, but a few weeks ago as I was running, I heard some people cheering. I like to think they were cheering me on, and not making fun of me for trying.
  • Laurawash30
    Options
    WHO CARES WHAT THEY THINK!!! I LOVE RUNNING , I RUN ,MY KIDS RUN.... DO IT FOR THE LOVE OF THE RUN!!!! YOU WILL GET TO A WEIGHT BEFORE YOU KNOW IT THAT YOU WILL NOT EVEN CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK!!! PUSH THROUGH AND YOU WILL BE OK!!!
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think good for her and keep it up. It's funny how the world is still like high school, and there are people who take joy in making fun of others. Hopefully, your secure in yourself and shrug off the looks. Keep it up!!!!!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    . When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?
    I think that it is probably 99% all in your mind...I teach a running class, and most people I know have the utmost respect for any overweight person running....It is not easy, so why scoff at somebody fro whom it is an even harder effort...

Maybe try not to assume what people think about you - ignore others, stay safe and enjoy every run!
  • lovelynn99
    lovelynn99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think that overweight runners like myself are amazing!! They are working to lose weight. They aren't sitting on their couch taking weight lose pills, they are getting out there and working for this. It can be hard. I LOVE it!! So my answer is I love the idea of overweight people running!
  • kayhatlen
    kayhatlen Posts: 46
    Options
    I think that anyone I see working out hard is doing a good thing for themselves. I always say to myself way to go for trying so hard. I'm hoping that people will think the same when they see me sweating my butt off from a hard workout. It's taken me almost 3 months to get to the point where I can jog a little now. I was so happy last week when I made myself do it. Keep taking care of your self! :smile:
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When I see an overweight runner I tend to think two things first that it is good to are doing something to improve there health. Second that I hope they are doing all the proper stretching and resting when need be, Running is hard on the joints with more weight
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    When I see an overweight person running I think "Damn, look at them go. Good for them for doing it!"

Sincerely.
  • babyblooeyes
    babyblooeyes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    All I really think is oh man her poor knees.

In all honesty it isn't good to run at that weight because you will damage your knees even if you aren't feeling it now.

As much as I want to run I only walk because I want to spare that major joint for as long as I can.

Maybe I will have a go 50 or so more pounds down.

Good for you for trying and imagine how much easier it will be after you have lost the weight.

Theresa
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty cool, I was one back in the day. I still think I am overweight though. I think it's great because when I was heavy heavy I pushed myself to do it and their are others just like I was.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    When I run a 5k, a lot of folks pass me who are older and/or weigh more. And I think it is GREAT. I want to run like them!!! You should do what you love! That is what will keep you moving.
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I admire them. I wish I could get into running. If I was you, I would run by them, give em a big smile and say Hi!
    I say "good for you, I'm proud of you!!!":flowerforyou: