My name is Joseph and I need help. :/

Options

Replies

• josepb
    josepb Posts: 27
    Options
    I used to eat fast food a lot too. I'll still cheat once or twice a week. I've now learned to love the taste of healthy cooked meals and prefer it over fast food.
    I'm 19, add me if you want!

My biggest problem is that I can't cook. I'm pathetic. I have trouble combining more than two ingredients, out of sheer laziness. I get that from my dad, so.. :/

I'm lazy too, I still live at home and my mom cooks the most in the house but I'm sure you can learn to make simple things like a salad! I've asked my mom to cook healthier meals so that's helped, but yeah I should probably learn to cook real meals too... lol :p
    I'm lucky my college has healthy stuff like stir fry, I buy that a lot at school.

I live at home as well, going to college, but I'm basically on my own when it comes to food. I have so much trouble with my appetite. I can prepare a meal for myself, but I get into trouble when I struggle to give myself the proper amount of nutrition. And I have absolutely no clue how to prepare meat, which is what I feel like my body needs more of. I get frustrated, jump in the car and drive to get fast food. It's a brutal cycle. :(
  • liftandcycle
    Options
    I live at home as well, going to college, but I'm basically on my own when it comes to food. I have so much trouble with my appetite. I can prepare a meal for myself, but I get into trouble when I struggle to give myself the proper amount of nutrition. And I have absolutely no clue how to prepare meat, which is what I feel like my body needs more of. I get frustrated, jump in the car and drive to get fast food. It's a brutal cycle. :(

im 21 and a female... do you like chicken? do you know how to make it? the only meat I eat is chicken (shrimp some times) and I can teach you how to cook it... its super simple... i always eat clean.. whole grains, chicken breast, I also eat protein bars to help me with my chocolate cravings... I sometimes combine my protein bars with almonds., awesome stuff... I have a cheat day once a month that helps me.. being healthy doesnt mean being bored with cardboard meals... I make myself all kinds of awesome foods when I want to.. when Im lazy im repetitive.. lol my point is.. it doesnt have to be hard, if you need tips just message me...
  • tigerbabe2
    tigerbabe2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome Joseph and best of luck :P
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    I used to eat fast food a lot too. I'll still cheat once or twice a week. I've now learned to love the taste of healthy cooked meals and prefer it over fast food.

My biggest problem is that I can't cook. I'm pathetic. I have trouble combining more than two ingredients, out of sheer laziness. I get that from my dad, so.. :/

I'm lazy too, I still live at home and my mom cooks the most in the house but I'm sure you can learn to make simple things like a salad! I've asked my mom to cook healthier meals so that's helped, but yeah I should probably learn to cook real meals too... lol :p
    I'm lucky my college has healthy stuff like stir fry, I buy that a lot at school.

Hmm I also cannot cook meat for the life of me, thank god for my mom. Do you have to do your own grocery shopping too? Maybe get those microwave weight watcher meals for when you're too lazy to make anything? Maybe acquire a taste for sushi, can be high in sodium but its just kept in the fridge. Subway is fast food and can be good once in a while, I dont get cold cuts, usually chicken and stay away from the white bread. Some fast food places have salads, get those instead but be careful with the dressing?
    I don't know if any of that helps you, but I tryyyy!

Anyway, when I first started my working out I still some bad foods, just in smaller portions, then gradually ate healthier. My weakness is chips though, and Thai Express. o_o
  • josepb
    Options

Hmm I also cannot cook meat for the life of me, thank god for my mom. Do you have to do your own grocery shopping too? Maybe get those microwave weight watcher meals for when you're too lazy to make anything? Maybe acquire a taste for sushi, can be high in sodium but its just kept in the fridge. Subway is fast food and can be good once in a while, I dont get cold cuts, usually chicken and stay away from the white bread. Some fast food places have salads, get those instead but be careful with the dressing?
    I don't know if any of that helps you, but I tryyyy!

Anyway, when I first started my working out I still some bad foods, just in smaller portions, then gradually ate healthier. My weakness is chips though, and Thai Express. o_o

I'm interested to see how far this quote chain can go...

Anyways, I seem to have a mental diversion to anything that deems itself "healthy". The problem isn't necessarily that I need to eat organic healthy stuff, I just need to eat practically anything except for fast food. I have no connection to my food, it all goes in my hands and directly into my mouth. I sound like such a fatty right now. om nom
  • AttyMomOf3
    AttyMomOf3 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Joseph,

I am old enough to be your Mom, so I may not be the MFPal you are looking for. My best advice is to make gradual changes that you can learn to live with forever. You can buy pre-made food that is much better than fast food and you just heat it in the microwave. For example, pre-cooked chicken breast, the frozen veggies that are single serve portions and come "lightly sauced." Keep granola bars with you (look at the label for the lowest in sugar, highest in fiber), so you will have healthy snacks available when you feel hungry (and you will be less likely to go to the drive-thru). I did not learn to cook growing up, but taught myself as an adult. Try some simple recipes and learn from your mistakes. You sound very determined to me!! I wish you every success!! If you decide to have some Mom-age support, feel free to add me. :)
  • juliexiuu
    Options
    We should probably stop talking about food... >__> haha
  • josepb
    Options
    And now I'm hungry, of course. Oops.
  • princeypu
    Options
    i know all about having walls to climb over and i have discovered that if you stop thinking that its such a huge wall to get over in the first place.. things seem easier and then you can focus on how simple you can really make it.... Getting already prepared whole chicken is always an easy option... so you don't have to worry about cooking... and fast food is not entirely horrible as a last option but what is horrible is the frys/hashbrowns... getting a burger and a drink that isn't soda is a good way to start off..... after about a week or so.... see if you still have fast food cravings.... you prob won't....

your body also need to readjust to not eating fast food which has way too much preservatives and additives that are addicting... you also have to keep that in mind.... Try to always have healthy snacks on you like pretzels/ apples/ protein bars/ cereal bars/ and stay busy.... that always helps me keep my mind off food.... see if you can discover a new hobby :)
    good luck....
  • juliexiuu
    Options
    Just don't get in the car! Too late to munch anyway, well it is here at least.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I am twenty years old. 6'2". Large frame. I weigh uncomfortably too much. Not terrible but not where I'd like to be.

I am addicted to fast food. I have it once a day. That's seven times a week too many. I'd prefer to remove fast food from my diet entirely. I'm also trying to do the C25k for the fourth time.

Everything was great for a single week. I exercised, ate well and felt fcking fantastic for the first time in a long time. A week later, I'm back in the same place. I feel dejected, exhausted and emotionally dead. I know I keep setting myself up for failure, so I'm asking for some serious help. I'm trying to read a book on willpower at the moment.

I've wanted this for a few years now. I'm ready to do whatever it takes. I'd like your help.

I prefer to talk to people around my age, since our bodies and minds are currently at similar points in our lifespan. You can message me whenever, I'm better at being supportive than I am at achieving my own goals, sadly enough.

You're all awesome. <3

Uh I may look like an older sister to you but well I understand what you're going through, I've been like that for the nth time before & until now I still love fastfoods (who doesn't love McDonald's, honestly?) One thing I realized is that you have to do it one step at the time, meaning gradually. First thing I did was to avoid (not eliminate completely) sodas, juices & iced teas and just focused on water. Then as for exercise I did the one that I enjoy most which is dancing. Then soon I started learning the right portions and added another exercises to my workout until I got to this stage in my life. I'm 33 & have a 26 inch waistline now & the last time that I had this waistline was way back when I was 12 years old.

Based from what you're saying here, it seems like you did it all at once which is why now you feel exhausted because your body is starting to rebel. My advice to you is do it one step at a time, find an activity that you enjoy & never push yourself especially when you're still new to working out. Give your body some time to adjust. As for fast foods, my suggestion will be to lessen it like say 5 times a week instead of the usual 7 days. Then as your body is adjusted to it, then make it around 3-4 times a week until your body is adjusted to healthier foods. See your main focus right now should be developing that habit. More importantly, do it not just for your weight but for your overall health.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

just because you are hungry doesn't mean you have to eat
    show your body who's boss
  • LilRiver
    LilRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok. I'm totally old (gasp) at twice your age (i don't feel that old! ha!) but had willpower issues for *years* so I get that part of the struggle.

What helped me and may help you is getting rid of as many choices as you can. Since you're struggling most with food (and fast food), maybe start there. There's a whole psychological thing going on with it - essentially (and totally bastardizing some smart grad student's theories) every time you have to make a choice, your brain gets a bit tired, and it makes it harder to make the next choice... especially if that choice requires effort and/or more choices. You default to what's easiest instead of to what you want and there goes the willpower. So, you need to make healthier food choices *easier* than fast food choices.

Once you figure out how to cook chicken, or whatever, cook a couple of them at the same time. It's just as easy to cook 3 or 4 chicken breasts as it is 1. So put the leftovers in the fridge - they'll last a few days and you'll have an easier thing to grab than going to get fast food.

Foodwise, what's helped me, is having easy healthy snacks that I can make into a simple lunch. Not the healthiest thing, but better than fast food when I'm up to my ears with work (i work from home) and don't want to deal with cooking or making a mess (I hate doing dishes!). My two favorites are hummus with falafel chips (not healthy! but a bit healthier!) and/or sliced carrots (I even buy them sliced so I don't have to deal with it) and some yogurt. The other is cheese, apples, & peanut butter. I love apples & cheese and apples & peanut butter. Again, not the healthiest of meals, but I get some fat, protein, & carbs with less calories than some drive-thru junk. So try to think out some of your favorite snacks and how you can expand them to get a bit protein, fat & carbs, and then just make sure the stuff is in the house.

Good luck! And don't freak out about cooking meat - it's not that hard and once you get it down you'll be so far ahead of so many guys your age (and even mine! ha!). Grilling is even easier if you have access to a grill. Bonus: fire!
  • josepb
    Options

just because you are hungry doesn't mean you have to eat
    show your body who's boss

I WILL NOT GIVE IN.
    I think it's working.
  • josepb
    Options
    Just don't get in the car! Too late to munch anyway, well it is here at least.

Would you be mad if I gave in to it? ><
  • josepb
    Options
    i know all about having walls to climb over and i have discovered that if you stop thinking that its such a huge wall to get over in the first place.. things seem easier and then you can focus on how simple you can really make it.... Getting already prepared whole chicken is always an easy option... so you don't have to worry about cooking... and fast food is not entirely horrible as a last option but what is horrible is the frys/hashbrowns... getting a burger and a drink that isn't soda is a good way to start off..... after about a week or so.... see if you still have fast food cravings.... you prob won't....

your body also need to readjust to not eating fast food which has way too much preservatives and additives that are addicting... you also have to keep that in mind.... Try to always have healthy snacks on you like pretzels/ apples/ protein bars/ cereal bars/ and stay busy.... that always helps me keep my mind off food.... see if you can discover a new hobby :)
    good luck....

It kind of makes me sick how I'm physically addicted to fast food. It's evil.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yea the first step is to realize that you are addicted. It sounds like you are. I know it's not a fun word. But hey if it's true, it's true. *shrug*

Once you are ready to say "yup, I'm addicted" Then the next logical step is to say "Okay, so how do I get UNaddicted?" And that's the same for all addictions, really. Somehow you have to get to a point where you don't crave it anymore. Either cold turkey or slowly wean yourself off. In this case, I don't think cold turkey really makes sense because you don't necessarily have to never eat fast food again. We all have some fast food from time to time, it's just wise to have it way less than how often you currently have it. :P

Make tiny steps that you can accomplish right now. You don't need to make big changes all at once. Small things. Easy things. I always say that if you don't know how to accomplish something, just start with something small that you DO know how to accomplish, and worry about the rest of it later. Over time it will come to you how to get the rest of it done.

I would recommend using the blog feature on MFP to keep track of your trips to get fast food and how you felt about it. Then you can record how often you end up going in a given week, and start from there with trying to decrease how often you go in a given week.

Anyways I know this is vague but it's how I got past my emotional/psychological bumps in my roads. The most important things are to 1. Believe you can succeed 2. Always think positive 3. Never guilt yourself 4. Always be proud of whatever you can accomplish, no matter how small.

Not necessarily in that order. :P
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Only if you lend me your technicolor dream coat
  • mybiketrip
    mybiketrip Posts: 239
    Options
    Hey Joseph. I'm a runner and cyclist. Feel free to add me for support and questions.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Joseph, just making this post showed how much dedication you have to getting healthy! It is good you made the first step and admitted you are addicted to fast food. I had the same thing happen with me but with sugar :ohwell: It is going to be hard to get off it but, from your post, you know you can do it.

Feel free to add me if you want support :flowerforyou: