What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options

Replies

• jlkennedy88
    Options
    It sounds like you might be battling your own inner demons here too - and worrying you don't belong or what others might (and most likely are NOT thinking!). Remember when you pass others on the trails that they are out there working out for their own health just like you! And, remind yourself that you ARE a runner! Most everyone out there exercising themselves isn't casting judgment on you - they - (myself included) is just focused on the next pole, crossing, drive or whatever the next mini target is and mentally pushing themselves forward too.

When I'm not running (say driving home) and I see anyone out running it motivates me to lace up my running shoes when I get home myself. You are motivating others!!

Remember - you are a runner. Own it.
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm obese I admit it! I'm a BIG girl but I run on the elliptical and I mean RUN! My fat is flappin and I wear spandex to keep everything pretty tight so that it doesn't fly off (although that would be AWESOME) I get looks sometimes. Especially today when there was no school and all the tiny little high school girls decided to come "workout" at the gym (yeah they would run for about 5 mins and spend 40 fixing their hair and makeup) I even get my arms going (I don't use the one with the moving arm things I just run full bore on the regular elliptical) I think anyone who is honestly trying deserves credit and my appreciation because I KNOW how hard it is!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i have seen some overweight runners on the treadmills at the gym and i NEVER have thought "wow they shouldn't be doing that!" i actually think quite the opposite. honestly i find the overweight runners quite the motivation, especially when they're running alon longer than i am! (yeah maybe a bit slower, but you go girl or man!)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am big myself, but whenever I see overweight runners I think, "there is a person trying to get healthy!"

Edit: I plan to start jogging soon, maybe when I lose just a bit more weight (for mobility reasons), and I know it can be tough, but try not to even pay attention to the other runners. I am not saying this is your problem, but I know I can't be the only one: when I am self-conscious I tend to think everyone is noticing me and saying or thinking bad things about me. The truth is, no one probably really cares that much, and if the do, I probably won't ever see them again anyway. If you want to run, I say do it! Don't let their opinions dictate your health.
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I say GO FOR IT!! It takes a hugs amount of determination and confidence to get out there and move your body in that way. I'd love to tell you to ignore anyone who gives you funny looks, but I know that's hard. Know that you are doing the right thing for your body and naysayers be damned! Starting to run has been the best thing I've ever done for myself. I began over 45 lbs ago and haven't looked back. There are bigger people that pass me and there are smaller people that I can lap. Your endurance and speed doesn't have everything to do with your size. Be proud of yourself for getting out there!! YOU ARE AN ATHLETE!!
    -Andi
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I admit I used to be all self conscious about it, but now I really don't care. I think most people aren't really focusing on any of us as much as we might think. I say get out there and do what makes you happy and healthy :smile:
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    There are beeyatches and a-holes in every group of people, including runners, but the majority of us are nice people, just like the majority of the world. Here's what I think when I'm out running: Everyone who sees me either feels a kinship with me (because they run or exercise too) or is jealous of me (because I am out running and they know they probably should be). It makes me happy, so who cares if I'm right? If a couple of rude people wonder why I'm still fat when I run or think to themselves that I am slow, so what? Seriously, I am out there a lot (I have run four marathons and countless training miles) and when I see really heavy runners, I just think "Good for you, dude" or "Go get it, girl." Totally proud of them all. Welcome to the society.
    p.s. Flo Jo kicked *kitten*--RIP.
  • CandiceLHughes
    Options
    I get so excited when I see heavier people run. I'm fairly thin - in a normal weight range and have never been overweight (very close to it, though, via BMI). I LOVE jogging and generally jog 5 miles a day now. Anyway, when I see someone "heavier," I want to give them a high-five or encourage them. Sometimes I just want to run next to them haha. I never do because I don't want them to feel self-conscious or awkward while I embarrass myself. Maybe THATS what people are thinking when they see you!!! Anyway, most people, I think, are encouraged to see others getting active and fit. THAT is what is important - and if people ARE looking at you with dirty looks, then just ignore them. They don't matter. Stay strong and do what you're doing.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I like runners of all shapes and sizes.
    It's important to remember people don't pay as much attention to you as you think they do.

I cant stand skinny ...women..that insist on walking slowly side by side and blocking my way.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I always think " You go girl/guy. Do your thing." It is great to see anyone out there trying to get in shape
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I think "good for them". I wish I could see there progress in a month if they keep this up. Any actual runner would only encourage you not shut you down. I'm sure there are those stuck up, I'm better than you because i'm thin girls but were not all like that. :)

I'm jealous, I HATE running. I wish I could get into it.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive been obese my whole life but I always had a thing for running my fav runner is Flo Jo. Every since I joined this site Ive gained back my love for running even though I'm 268lbs I can ya know...run with a good pace. Well...my pace but I'm still learning and training. When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?

I think "You go!! Let me grab my shoes and I'll join you!!"
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think to myself "way to go -- keep at it" If I actually get close enough to speak to that person, I'll tell them to have a good run, or some other form of encouragement. I'm just glad to see someone take responsibility for their health and get out there!

There is this great website bendoeslife.com, about a young man who lost 120+ pounds by deciding he had had enough and just started running. The video on youtube (my 120 pound journey) is one I keep on my favorites just to encourage myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I once saw something that said:

"No Matter How Slow You Go You're Still Lapping Everyone On The Couch"

Keep it Up!!
  • micfreud
    micfreud Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was at school I loved sprinting. I was one of the fastest, if not the fastest, even though I carried excesss weight. When I got to high school, I never joined the athletics team because I'm not particularly competitive. One day in PE lesson we had to run a relay and I was running against the junior captain. After the race, which I might add I flogged him, he came over and asked how I could run so fast because I was a fat piece of s**t. Always loved to run but stopped after I got married and piled on the weight.

Started running about 4 months ago at 66lbs over target goal. Most days do at least 5k (always under 30mins including 5 min walking warm up). Listen to the radio, conspiracy theories, make others jealous. Was told at work that someone had seen me running with my lucious legs.

When I see people heavier than me (still 28lbs to go) running, I want to congratulate them, but don't want to embarras them. For me my goal was initially to run 2 minutes without dying. Then it was 5km, then 10km. Now it is just to pick up the pace. Next goal is 5km in 17minutes.
  • chrissismone
    chrissismone Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Honey I would give anyone who dare scoff at my the middle finger and keep it moving..I work out hard and I run hard..its notice in a good way..don't let anyone make you feel anyway other than freaking great as you are..don't doubt your self and don't magnify a issue that isn't one.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive been obese my whole life but I always had a thing for running my fav runner is Flo Jo. Every since I joined this site Ive gained back my love for running even though I'm 268lbs I can ya know...run with a good pace. Well...my pace but I'm still learning and training. When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?

I may give people the stankeye eye while running, but only because I'm tired or in pain. Or they are faster.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm both jealous and pretty damn impressed!
    I used to be a runner, now I'm in such bad shape I can only go for about 5-10 minutes most days, so I am too embarrassed to run outside. Those looks are probably more of a "she's bigger than me but can still outrun me? @&*$!". Ignore them and do your thing!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a good pair of well fitting running shoes and GO! I run walk. I do it and I have a GIANT butt. If they don't like looking at it, too bad. I can't run more than a 1/2 mile right now without stopping to walk, but that is how you improve. Poco a Poco...little by little. I am 305 lbs! So there!
  • belindawilli
    belindawilli Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone of you...I was never much of a runner, but love to walk...I had a friend who watched a 10K and it had a lot of older people and she said it was embarressing watching them old people run,(flad jingling everywhere) so I told her at least they were out there because they had a love for something even if it took them a while to get to the finish line(just as it takes me now that I have started running or jogging at the age of 56(my first one) and I don't care what anyone says if you love something, fat(hate that word)skinny, old or young you are doing it for you not for those people who have snide remarks or looks for you...you be who you are and don't worry about those people who have negative things to say...we are winners because we are trying to be the best we can....
    Belinda:flowerforyou: great marvelous runners, walkers and joggers keep up the good work!!!!