Headaches and exercise...?

Options
I have found that when I exercise at the start of my day, I end up with a terrible headache before noon. If I exercise later in the day or in the evening, it doesn't happen. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to avoid these?

Replies

• Jules_1111
    Options
    Hmmm. Are you eating and drinking enough?
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Are you eating and drinking enough?

Agree with that question. In addition, how much caffeine do you consume?
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I hate headaches! Do you drink water during and after exercise? Could be dehydrated??
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    try warming up properly and drinking water before and during exercise. Taking advil also helps.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I'd bet either you're not getting enough to drink before and during your workout, or you're working out before you've really eaten. Dehydration and low blood sugar are two sure-fire headache triggers, at least for me.

If you're going to work out early and don't want to eat first, try drinking a protein shake first, and make sure you get plenty of water throughout your workout. Hope that helps!
  • barbdills
    Options
    i suffer from migraines and i tend to get exercise migraines. i bought peoppermint oil and use it on my temples before i work out. the peppermint smells great and helps with migraines. i havent had an exercise migraine since i started using it.
  • chevysarah
    chevysarah Posts: 188
    Options
    I find if I work my upper body more I have more headaches.... I need to stretch way more afterwards!!! Maybe make sure you are stretching enough.
  • SharClark40
    Options
    You're right - I am not really eating before I work out and I drink a little before and during the workout (it only lasts half an hour!) but I drink the most of it after the workout. I eat my breakfast shortly after the workout, but the headache doesn't usually come on for a couple hours, but then it's there the rest of the day.

My caffeine intake isn't out of control - I'll have one 12 oz black coffee in the morning and then one or two cans of Zero-calorie soda throughout the rest of the day.

I wonder if I need to drink a Protein shake - I was wondering if my protein intake isn't enough - either before or after. That's something I hadn't thought of. Slim-Fast shakes don't count as protein shakes, right?

Thanks so much, everyone for your suggestions! I'll try a few different things and if all else fails, I'll just do my workout AFTER work instead!

:happy:
  • JNick77
    Options
    You're right - I am not really eating before I work out and I drink a little before and during the workout (it only lasts half an hour!) but I drink the most of it after the workout. I eat my breakfast shortly after the workout, but the headache doesn't usually come on for a couple hours, but then it's there the rest of the day.

My caffeine intake isn't out of control - I'll have one 12 oz black coffee in the morning and then one or two cans of Zero-calorie soda throughout the rest of the day.

I wonder if I need to drink a Protein shake - I was wondering if my protein intake isn't enough - either before or after. That's something I hadn't thought of. Slim-Fast shakes don't count as protein shakes, right?

Thanks so much, everyone for your suggestions! I'll try a few different things and if all else fails, I'll just do my workout AFTER work instead!

Stupid question, how are your sinuses? Once and a while I get a really bad headache when doing heavy lower body lifting. It tends to have something to do with some sinus congestion. Not sure if it's allergy season or just some random BS. Also, what's breakfast consist of for you one days you lift?
  • SharClark40
    Options

Stupid question, how are your sinuses? Once and a while I get a really bad headache when doing heavy lower body lifting. It tends to have something to do with some sinus congestion. Not sure if it's allergy season or just some random BS. Also, what's breakfast consist of for you one days you lift?

My breakfast is usually something like a fried egg (no butter) on a piece of 45-calorie toast with mustard, or two pieces of the same kind of bread with a teaspoon of Nutella on each. Right now my sinuses could be playing a part, as well as other various issues causing my headaches. I didn't exercise this morning and I still have a headache, so not sure what's up with THAT. Oy.
  • JNick77
    Options

My breakfast is usually something like a fried egg (no butter) on a piece of 45-calorie toast with mustard, or two pieces of the same kind of bread with a teaspoon of Nutella on each. Right now my sinuses could be playing a part, as well as other various issues causing my headaches. I didn't exercise this morning and I still have a headache, so not sure what's up with THAT. Oy.

So you're having roughly 100 - 150 calories for breakfast? Seems low... Especially after a workout.
  • Chloes_Momma
    Options
    I get a very bad throbbing headache when I exercise whether it be lifting or cardio. I have to take prescription pain killers because tylenol and ibprofen just don't work. I have been to my doctor about this and we ruled out the hydration and calorie intake issues. I get plenty of both. I have had to do a catscan and mri and we are still trying to figure out the problem. Right now I just workout like usual and come home and I get a headache within 15 minutes of stopping whatever exercise I was doing. Anyone have any ideas what that could be?