Negative Net Calories

Options
Brand new to MFP, feels good to exercise again. I'm confused by having a goal of 1200+ net calories. I ate a healthy breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack. Im still very short on reaching net calories. In fact, i am negative net calories right now. Do I eat more during lunch? I feel if I eat more, I feel it's gonna have fat or sodium so I'd rather just stick with what I'm doing. Suggestions??

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Some more fat wouldn't be a bad thing. Especially if you get it from things like nuts, olive oil, avacados, etc.

I would also eat more protein at lunch and breakfast (like an egg with your cereal or tuna fish with your crackers).
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    To put this simply.... Your net calories is the amount you have left for your body to function, to repair muscle after workouts, to fuel your brain, to build new bone, and to do all the other million things your body does besides move around and do what you tell it to ... if you eat only 1300 calories and then burn them all off plus more, what is left for your body's needs?

Eat more for both breakfast AND lunch, and have a snack before your workout, then you won't find yourself trying to stuff down a bunch of food at night. :smile:

BUT. Make sure your calories-burned estimates are accurate - sometimes they tend to come in really high. Your best bet is to get a good heart-rate monitor; if that's not in your budget right now, then try adding back 1/2 to 3/4 of your exercise calories and adjust it after a few weeks if you need to.
  • corbettcd
    Options
    I think my stationary bike is overestimating my calories burned. Ive been doing two 30 minute sessions and it tells me I burn between 650-850 calories each time. Research online shows the average 30 minute bike ride burns around 300-350 calories. What sounds more right?
  • USMCConditioning
    Options
    I think my stationary bike is overestimating my calories burned. Ive been doing two 30 minute sessions and it tells me I burn between 650-850 calories each time. Research online shows the average 30 minute bike ride burns around 300-350 calories. What sounds more right?

if there are variables, like incline, or resistance, then somewhere closer to 600 sounds more like it.
  • angelique_inspiration
    Options
    I think the one on here is wrong. I'd go with the one on the net or try checking a couple of different sites to see how accurate that is.
  • corbettcd
    Options

if there are variables, like incline, or resistance, then somewhere closer to 600 sounds more like it.

The bike says there are inclines but they are very easy. I don recognize any more difficulty during the inlines.