how do you potty train a boy?

Options
Jersey_Devil
Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
i have no clue, only dealt with girls till now. how do you potty train a boy? I just tossed some cheerios in the toilet trying to explain to him your supposed to aim at the cheerios but i think he thought it was more funny than anything else. lol.

Replies

• frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Wait until they are 10, it's pretty easy when they reach that age! LOL.
    You can teach him to sit and pee.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Run a trinkling stream of water from the sink while he is standing there.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Cheerios worked for me. Well, my SON, that is. Or put a full square of toilet paper on the surface and tell him to sink it.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My ex would take our son in the bathroom and show him to pee in the potty...once he got comfortable with the idea of the potty, we put him in regular underwear all day. He had 1 or 2 accidents and he decided that he'd rather pee in the potty. We'd put him in pull-ups at night, just in case; but after about a week, he didn't even need those.

ETA: it took MONTHS to get him to the point where he was comfortable with the potty...we were beginning to think we'd need to buy him Depends, LOL :bigsmile:

Our daughter was so much easier...once we figured out that she liked the fake tattoos...it took about 1 week to get her totally potty trained.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    aww the fake tattoos. lol.

yeah i don't think standing up is happening yet...although these cheerios are making my aim better. lol. i think ill have to get him to do it sitting down first.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    Cheerios worked for me. Well, my SON, that is. Or put a full square of toilet paper on the surface and tell him to sink it.

for you would be impressive. lol
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Be more involved with him. Every time you go, take him. He will want to copy everything you do....and this just follows suit. After a while, just stop putting diapers on until it's time for bed. Eventually, it all clicks
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was a little kid our dog peed inside. My dad grabbed the dog put her face in the pee spanked her then threw her outside. It worked she stopped peeing inside. I'm not too sure you can do that with a kid though. You might get in trouble. I mean if you do try it don't tell nobody shhhhh!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    How old is your son, if you don't mind me asking?
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Wait until they are 10, it's pretty easy when they reach that age! LOL.
    You can teach him to sit and pee.

10? Are you flicking nuts?

Oh, one more thing...when I one is over, let him run around with no skivvies...
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    aww the fake tattoos. lol.

yeah i don't think standing up is happening yet...although these cheerios are making my aim better. lol. i think ill have to get him to do it sitting down first.

Make sure you get a potty seat with a splashguard! :smile:
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Since you are man, show him.

Boys have to be alot older usually to potty train than girls though so keep that in mind.

It helps if it is summer and you can just let him run around without diapers/bottoms so he is more aware of himself peeing. It might be messier but it works quickly.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I taught my son to pee sitting down, he just turned 6 and only started standing to pee like 6 months ago. And we just sat him on the toilet until he peed and made a big deal about it. We started at 18 months and by 2 1/2 years he was done...good luck!
  • Jersey_Devil
    Options
    up until now I've allowed him to flush..today was the first time i actually tried to get him to go cause lately he's been telling me when he needs pull-up changes
  • karleestar
    karleestar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Nothing worked for us until we found the Three Day Potty training method online, it worked after 3 days and he hardly had any accidents...he was also closer to the age of 3 when we used it :smile:
  • chandra38
    chandra38 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. However, mine has the peeing down just fine. Doesn't ever pee in his pants, just refuses to poop on the potty. Says "he can't know how". I hope he gets it down fast, though. I'm through with pull-ups!
  • jalapenos
    jalapenos Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Do it in front of him.... My hubby did that and it worked. Then our son started telling everyone " I pee like daddy!" LOL
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Just got my little guy potty trained completely in the past month. Did the Elmo potty chair, but just put the top of it on the "Big potty" so he could sit and do it (it has a little guard so they don't spray everywhere). We did stickers- we had more luck with #1 in the potty, than with #2 - that took longer. #1 got a little smiley face sticker on the calendar every time he had success- he'd get to pick the sticker. with #2 - got a Cars 2 Calendar (from the $1 store) and a pack of BIG red stickers with the Cars 2 characters - and he gets a "poop" sticker each time, and an m&m. So, he's pretty excited about that now- and has a full calendar of stickers. it took a while for it, but working great now! the cheerios will be for later - when aim is a concern. ;) that's how we did with my nephew - aim at the cheerios, or the toilet paper. My friends crack up at the poop stickers- and the calendar actually hangs in the bathroom - but we clapped and made a big deal out of each time he did it - until it worked!
  • sjcjsmith
    Options
    At first my son would stand on a stool next to the toilet with daddy...Then we Placed a bowl of Fruitloops in the bathroom...Everytime he is going to go, throw a few in the toilet & make it a "game"..trying to hit the fuitloops and sink them....It worked great for us. the colour from the fruitloops makes it fun too.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Start by teaching him to pee sitting down....otherwise you'll be cleaning it up forever. He'll make the transition to standing when he's ready.