I can't believe this lady at my gym.....

Options
When we got to the gym I had to change my baby's diaper before I could take her into the nursery. Well while I was in the locker room this lady walks up and says.......

"Awww what a cute little girl." I said "Thank you" then she asks me " How long have you been coming here?" I said "Do you mean how long have I been coming to the gym or working on my weight loss?" She said "Gym" I said "On and off since Dec. '11" Then she said "Well now that we're on the subject how much weight have you lost?" I said "Well my daughter's 14 months old and in that 14 months I've lost a total of 60 lbs. I'm still aiming for another 50 to 60 lbs" Then she smirked and said "Well looks like you have a long way to go!!" After she said that she just left.

I was floored I didn't know what to say and the other lady in there just shook her head and mouthed the words "Are you okay?" I mean do I have the right to be mad?

Replies

• janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she woke up on the *itch side of the bed. What a jerk! Sorry for you!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    What a dooooosh!!!!

Sorry, lol. But I love the word and it fits the situation!!

edited to add another "o" to make myself feel better about spelling it wrong.
  • antnterrsmommy
    Options
    don't let people get to you! You are doing awesome and weight loss is hard...my son is 12 - i have finally realized that I can't say that it is baby weight...lol don't worry! You got this!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,012 Member
    Options
    That used diaper would have smarted if it had smacked her in the back of the head.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    it's definitely a weird response from her.

I mean "great job" or "wow you've done so well" would have been the better responses since you are half way done!

I mean I could KINDA see that response if you had lost 10lbs and had like 90lbs to go, but even then I know I would never say that.

I don't know if it would make me upset, I would just think she's an effing idiot.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I would have told her to mind her own bleeping business after the first question, people can be so rude!!! You were going to the gym to make a difference so the he double hockey sticks with her
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    That used diaper would have smarted if it had smacked her in the back of the head.

LOL
    Too bad the great ideas sometimes come too late.
  • MamaBear122010
    Options
    Wow some people have no tact at all! Remind yourself that her self esteem is probably low and you just happened to be the whipping girl. Not to mention some people are naturally stupid :/. 60 pounds in 14 months is a hell of a lot more then Ive lost (my daughter is 15 months, I haven't been as diligent as you). Keep your head up mama, be proud of how far you've come, and keep your eye on the prize :o)
  • zuzuanne88
    zuzuanne88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Absoutley....some people don't think about what they say before they speak,even though she probably wasn't trying to be mean.I'm sure she was responding to the 60 pounds left to lose and not your physical apearence.If the women was in shape,she probably is not sensitive to the feeling of people who are begining their weight loss journey.Take the jab for what it was,and let it roll of your shoulder,you know your doing good and you should'nt let anyone undermine your success.Yesterdayb at work everyone kept on saying how pretty I looked and couldn't figure out whay was so different about me.One of my thinner co workers asked me,"what's different about you?"I answered well I lost five pounds last week,and she responded.."No thats not it".I felt like crying,i felt soooo bad.But I am inspired by your success and hope I can succeed as much as you,I have 75 more pounds to go.Good luck,your awsome!
  • paulieboy113
    paulieboy113 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    first of ll congrats on loosing 60lbs!!! that is great!!!!

now for her, don't let her get to you. some people in this world are bitter because while they might try to look and act like they have it together they really don't. they are just down right miserable and disgusted with their life that they try to dump on everyone to try to make them feel better about themselves. so if you let her get to you in her mind she wins and is the better person, but if she can't get to you she just created more pain for herself and sees that her life still sucks.
  • hassan26
    hassan26 Posts: 37
    Options
    she is a jealous little *****
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    she maybe is a jerk but just use that as your "motivation" to reach your goals & soon when that same lady see you, you can just watch her jaws drop on the floor in amazement.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. You'll burn off your fat and be smokin' hawt inside and out, and she'll still be a nasty human being.

It sucks for sure though. Weight issues run emotionally deep, and it's hard to not take it to heart. But try not to and just surround yourself with positive helpful people.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    This had to be an old lady. Only old ladies say stuff like that and expect to get away uncut. ;)
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow, hun! What a (insert rudest word that doesn't offend you here)! She obviously has no appreciation for how hard you've worked and continue to work. I think you're amazing! And I'm with the diaper slapper...she would have been rinsing poop and/or pee out of her hair. So good for you for being more restrained than I am. :laugh: (Seriously, I'm picturing someone trying to shower diaper pellets out of her hair)
  • debinewb1
    debinewb1 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow, pretty amazing comment. She probably didn't even realize how she sounded. Don't take it personally, you've really lost a lot in that amount of time. It's amazing how the 1# or so a week really seems to help us get on track and keep on track. You're pretty inspiring!
  • SaphFire77
    Options
    Well if that wasn't rude!!!!! :-( You're doing good!!1
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    When we got to the gym I had to change my baby's diaper before I could take her into the nursery. Well while I was in the locker room this lady walks up and says.......

"Awww what a cute little girl." I said "Thank you" then she asks me " How long have you been coming here?" I said "Do you mean how long have I been coming to the gym or working on my weight loss?" She said "Gym" I said "On and off since Dec. '11" Then she said "Well now that we're on the subject how much weight have you lost?" I said "Well my daughter's 14 months old and in that 14 months I've lost a total of 60 lbs. I'm still aiming for another 50 to 60 lbs" Then she smirked and said "Well looks like you have a long way to go!!" After she said that she just left.

I was floored I didn't know what to say and the other lady in there just shook her head and mouthed the words "Are you okay?" I mean do I have the right to be mad?

I think she was jealous of your cute baby.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sorry for that. I've noticed that people seem to get really agressive at the gym (a friend got into a yelling match with some other woman over a machine). BUT I wouldn't worry about people like that because they are just haters (no joke intended).
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Hell yeah