so which one is best Insanity, P90X, P90x2, Asylum?

Options
Okay so I see alot of people on here doing all these different types of home workout programs. I also see the infomercials. They all look highly intense and results seem to be there. However which one gives the best results in the shortest time. I spend enough money on fitness support and really don't want to waste my money. Please tell me if you have used any or all of these programs : P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Asylum . and your thoughts and results from them.

Replies

• steve3146
    steve3146 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have the insanity and the P90x. The P90X came with 12 DVD's and I really only benefited from about half. The kempo, chest/back, shoulders/arms, and ab ripper x. It had a cardio and yoga one that wasnt that great. The chest and back routine was amazing and I could feel it everytime I worked out. P90x, I felt it was more of a total body workout. The insanity one is an intense cardio with a lot of jumping up and down. If you live on a second floor of an apartment like I do, your neighbor below you is gonna be pissed. The pure cardio one was my favorite, it was also the shortest with about 20 minutes. Some are 45 minutes long. I didnt care for the cardio abs DVD but many of the DVD's were great. Over all I would go with p90x but if you are more of a cardio person then weights, go with insanity.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    None. Save your money. There are much more effective and efficient ways of achieving your goal (I am assuming fat loss is your goal). I would recommend replacing them with a more traditional resistance training routine (along with a bit of cardio).

Make no mistake, I am not saying that you won't see results with those routines if you are new (at least early on). But note that when you are a newbie, you will see results with just about any stimulus from any non-idiotic routine. It's called the newbie effect (or honeymoon period).

P90x and those other routines are just a hell of a lot of trouble for minimal, sub-optimal results. They do have a great marketing scheme so I understand why people want to do it. But just so you know, there is no such thing as "muscle confusion".
    If you are willing to accept muscle loss as a part of your results, then p90x, insanity, etc. are fine.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can google them and they have comparisons. Just depends on what you're looking for. All are great workouts. You can go o hs website I found on accident the other day and get these for $65 plus shipping. That's a lot cheaper than $120 they normally run.

Www.dvdworkouts4ess.com
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You can google them and they have comparisons. Just depends on what you're looking for. All are great workouts. You can go o hs website I found on accident the other day and get these for $65 plus shipping. That's a lot cheaper than $120 they normally run.

Www.dvdworkouts4ess.com

I'd be careful of a site like that - those are likely bootleg copies which means you won't get the guides that come with the programs, and if one of the DVDs doesn't work you can't get it replaced.

Actually, there is such a thing as "muscle confusion" - you can look it up over on bodybuilding.com. The concept has been around since Ah-nold won his first Mr. Olympia!

As to the programs - with any exercise routine, you'll get out of it exactly what you put into it. You also have to make sure your diet is good. All the exercise in the world won't do you any good if you just eat junk food. You might lose weight, but to truly lose fat, you need a nutritious diet.

Having said all of that, P90X is a includes strength training, cardio, plyometrics and yoga. The Ab Ripper X is a killer workout - everyone hates it, but no one argues that it isn't good! You will need weights or resistance bands to do this program. There is also a similar program from Beachbody called ChaLEAN Extreme, which is very similar in that it has strength training (again, with weights or resistance bands) and cardio on alternate days. I happen to really like this particular program and have done very well with it.

Insanity does not require any extra equipment and all exercises are pure body weight. The workouts are basically sports drills and they are tough and there is a lot of jumping, so if you have bad knees, you'll want to be careful and perhaps modify a bit. This program is also very intense and you will sweat!

Both programs cost roughly the same. Folks grouse about the cost, but you get 12-15 workouts, so if you figure buying a workout DVD at Walmart for $10 each (which is on the cheap side), then you'd pay about $150. Or for learning to work with weights, if you hired a trainer for 2-3 weeks, it would be about $200, so the DVDs are cheaper. I"m not trying to sell you on the price, I'm just saying that when you take it all into consideration, they really aren't outrageously priced.

Anyway - I hope that answers your questions. I have several Beachbody programs and I really like them - I also like that I can work out at home, not pay gym fees every month, not have to wait for someone else who may be using the equipment, not have to hassle with locker rooms and I save all that time that others spend driving back and forth to the gym. Works for me!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I was concerned with that as well when I found the website but after going through it, I found that they are a large warehouse and buy in bulk from the manufacturer. Therefore able to sell at cheaper prices. Everything is in original wrapping and complete. Or so it says.
  • QueenDiva27
    Options
    None. Save your money. There are much more effective and efficient ways of achieving your goal (I am assuming fat loss is your goal). I would recommend replacing them with a more traditional resistance training routine (along with a bit of cardio).

Make no mistake, I am not saying that you won't see results with those routines if you are new (at least early on). But note that when you are a newbie, you will see results with just about any stimulus from any non-idiotic routine. It's called the newbie effect (or honeymoon period).

P90x and those other routines are just a hell of a lot of trouble for minimal, sub-optimal results. They do have a great marketing scheme so I understand why people want to do it. But just so you know, there is no such thing as "muscle confusion".
    If you are willing to accept muscle loss as a part of your results, then p90x, insanity, etc. are fine.

I actually have a very good friend that does P90X and he looks amazing to be in his 40's. He is now a beach body coach and loves it. My husband also do P90X (along with PT with his unit) I can see the changes in him as well. If your willing to put forth the effort and time to do it and stick to it along with eating right then you will get the results you are desiring for the long term. Its a mind set and life change and you have to be willing to make those changes
  • austinhartford
    Options
    those are all great choices, however they will all have the same results based on your calories taken in per day. I loved P90x when i started to workout because it taught me alot about muscle control and kept me on track to workout every day. My mother much prefers insanity and assylum, while my father like p90x more.

It really just comes down to your diet though.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I only have done P-90 X and Insanity, both are great but I prefer Insanity.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    They are all great, but I am biased as a Beachbody Coach. What would make the most sense for you really depends on your personal goals and what you want to achieve.

I know that I am just absolutely loving P90X! Sure there are some things that are too hard for me to do at the moment, but I am improving with every workout. I dropped 3 pounds in the first week and am just getting ready to break 200 pounds for the first time since my college days, and am seeing noticable changes in my body.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Greg

Blog: www.greg-avila.com
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Firstly P90X is a weight lifting routine where you workout six/seven days a week. You will need weights or bands & preferably a chin up bar, Tony is funny, annoying & motivating. It is done with a rotating cast but only four are on screen in any given workout. Tony & three "kids".

Insanity is primarily a cardio set of discs, no equipment needed as all drills are done with bodyweight, it also calls for a commitment of six/seven days, it is just as tough as the X but in a different way. Shawn is motivating & exercise focused, he has a cast of about twenty, a bit like Jillians Body Revolution. I have to say I prefer Tonys style :)

X2 is done in the same style as X, three cast members, Tony making jokes, you are only expected to workout five days here because it is tougher. BUT the major difference is about its goals. It is about life exercise, the other programs are arguably focused on aesthetics, whilst X2 is about Core awareness & how important our core is. You will need significantly more equipment, med balls, stability balls, etc to get the best from this program.

I have done both P90X & X2 & am currently doing an Insanity hybrid, both X's run at 90 days, Insanity is 60 days & because of the intensity, Asylum is only 30 days. They all add up to 45 - 65 minute workouts, once you have done the warm up, stretch & cool downs, which are just as important as the "active" part of the dvds.

I am NOT a Coach but I would recommend P90X to almost anyone, it is so modifiable, Insanity calls for a good set of knees & no toe problems & if you use your core daily(I know we all do) in your job X2 is great.

As others have already stated, YOU CAN'T OUT TRAIN A BAD DIET, that is about 80% of where the "look" comes from.

Russ
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options

As others have already stated, YOU CAN'T OUT TRAIN A BAD DIET, that is about 80% of where the "look" comes from.

Russ

Tell me about it. The mfp members have whipped my diet into shape.
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Firstly P90X is a weight lifting routine where you workout six/seven days a week. You will need weights or bands & preferably a chin up bar, Tony is funny, annoying & motivating. It is done with a rotating cast but only four are on screen in any given workout. Tony & three "kids".

Insanity is primarily a cardio set of discs, no equipment needed as all drills are done with bodyweight, it also calls for a commitment of six/seven days, it is just as tough as the X but in a different way. Shawn is motivating & exercise focused, he has a cast of about twenty, a bit like Jillians Body Revolution. I have to say I prefer Tonys style :)

X2 is done in the same style as X, three cast members, Tony making jokes, you are only expected to workout five days here because it is tougher. BUT the major difference is about its goals. It is about life exercise, the other programs are arguably focused on aesthetics, whilst X2 is about Core awareness & how important our core is. You will need significantly more equipment, med balls, stability balls, etc to get the best from this program.

I have done both P90X & X2 & am currently doing an Insanity hybrid, both X's run at 90 days, Insanity is 60 days & because of the intensity, Asylum is only 30 days. They all add up to 45 - 65 minute workouts, once you have done the warm up, stretch & cool downs, which are just as important as the "active" part of the dvds.

I am NOT a Coach but I would recommend P90X to almost anyone, it is so modifiable, Insanity calls for a good set of knees & no toe problems & if you use your core daily(I know we all do) in your job X2 is great.

Russ

Very nice answer. Thanks.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I did P90X with a friend for a bit when i was first starting to lose weight. Cool thing about it was that it was HARD but Tony gives modification ideas and he is funny, so anyone can do it, and try to improve each time. At the beginning sometimes i couldnt finish but the next time that dvd was scheduled i was able to go further etc.

The yoga one was long but i loved how it made me feel and i felt it was taking care of the muscles and body i was asking a lot of.

i miss it. Think i will give my friend a holler!
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Okay so I see alot of people on here doing all these different types of home workout programs. I also see the infomercials. They all look highly intense and results seem to be there. However which one gives the best results in the shortest time. I spend enough money on fitness support and really don't want to waste my money. Please tell me if you have used any or all of these programs : P90X, P90X2, Insanity, Asylum . and your thoughts and results from them.

I actually bought XFACTOR.... I wanted something similar to the others, but didn't want to spend the money yet. I wanted to see if I would stick to it. There are 8 DVD to this set. I am only on week 1 right now, and its pretty intense. I will definately be moving on to insanity or the like when I am finished with these. They are good, but they are only a stepping stone to the real deal....but at 30bucks.... it was a decent purchase!:happy:
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

I'm an experienced weightlifter,(and a CPT) more years than I care to admit here,LOL You will get great results with any of these programs, as long as you have proper nutrition as with any workout program...yes I have done and completed them all. I started with P90X and was on very good physical shape...although I had bodyfat to lose. P90X gave me results that years of conventional heavy lifts did not. Muscle, definition and explosive power which I need for martial arts.

That being said, they are intense...I highly recommend you don't do Asylum or P90X2 without doing P90X or Insanity FIRST! To do so, would just be asking for failure and injury.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. I am very experienced in all these programs and have personally witnessed amazing results.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

See my pic for the sub optimal results and muscle loss!!!:laugh:
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

You poor thing! You look like you're withering away.... here, eat something! I brought lasagna for lunch!
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love P90X. I tried Insanity for two weeks. It is a great workout but I found it hard on my joints. I ended up with tendonitis in both my wrists from all of the jumping down onto your hands. I have seen results from the P90 especially in my shoulders back and arms :)
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    OMG what is asylum? What comes next incarceration? Lol
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options

You poor thing! You look like you're withering away.... here, eat something! I brought lasagna for lunch!

I do P90X and my results will be "sub optimal" BUT only because life is getting in the way of following a good diet and exercise routine (we are in the process of moving and building a whole new yard). I have done 60 days before and my results were anything but "sub optimal"! I LOVE P90X and since having great results the last time, I recommend it to anyone who will listen :).