body fat percentage

Options
I am having a difficult time understanding this...my body fat percentage is 12.5. In the last 6 weeks I have lost 4 inches but my body fat percentage has stayed the same. Does this mean I am losing muscle mass? I exercise vigorously five days a week and eat a healthy diet. I am just confused...if inches are coming off but percentage is the same what does this mean?

Replies

• cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am having a difficult time understanding this...my body fat percentage is 12.5. In the last 6 weeks I have lost 4 inches but my body fat percentage has stayed the same. Does this mean I am losing muscle mass? I exercise vigorously five days a week and eat a healthy diet. I am just confused...if inches are coming off but percentage is the same what does this mean?

12.5% is amazingly lean for a girl! I think the minimum recommended body fat for a female is 10-12% b/c of essential fat. Maybe that's why you can't get it any lower. Just out of curiosity, being that lean where do you see any fat left still?
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're using a scale to tell bf%. Scales tend to vary depending on the water in your system.

I suggest using calipers/belts to get your bf % using online calculators.

Here is a simple one that only requires your waist: http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-tools/body-fat-percentage.php

More complex/accurate bf measurement calculator: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    bump... good sites
  • julieruns1
    Options
    My body fat calculations were done using a caliper (from abdomen, near my knee and the back of my arm. I am not trying to get a lower body fat percentage. I am more concerned that I am losing muscle since my measurements (inches with tape measure) are dropping but my body fat percentage is not. I may be over-analyzing this but i am just somewhat confused. I am quite active, run, cycle and weight train 5 times a week at moderate to high intensity. I maintain approx 1400 calories a day, eating every 2-3 hrs. I have recently added an additional protein shake in the evening. I pretty consistently maintain a lower carb/fat higher protein diet.
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    My body fat calculations were done using a caliper (from abdomen, near my knee and the back of my arm. I am not trying to get a lower body fat percentage. I am more concerned that I am losing muscle since my measurements (inches with tape measure) are dropping but my body fat percentage is not. I may be over-analyzing this but i am just somewhat confused. I am quite active, run, cycle and weight train 5 times a week at moderate to high intensity. I maintain approx 1400 calories a day, eating every 2-3 hrs. I have recently added an additional protein shake in the evening. I pretty consistently maintain a lower carb/fat higher protein diet.

Are you losing strength when you weight lift? If so, that could an indication that you're losing muscle mass or you're over-training.

12.5 bf% is great and I'm not surprised since you run/cycle. Just make sure you are eating more than 75% of your TDEE (maintenance calories), that is a good way to still burn enough body fat while maintaining muscle mass. If you want to gain muscle mass, it's recommended that you eat around your TDEE.
  • SammyElise
    Options
    12.5% body fat is lower than the healthy percentage for women. Women essentially need 10% body fat for normal bodily functions. That means your 2.5% is accounting for your "womanly fat" (aka breasts). If you lost 4 pounds your body could be losing water weight. If you are exercising vigorously then this is probably the case. For every pound lost of water weight while sweating, 16 oz must be consumed to replenish hydration in the body. You may be severely dehydrated and losing water weight. If you say you are eating a healthy diet (assuming you eat enough calories and well balanced meals) then you are not losing muscle mass.
  • julieruns1
    Options
    In regards to the water loss with sweating/dehydration. I drink atleast 100 ounces of water a day. It is a 4 inch loss (not pounds) although my weight has dropped a couple of pounds. Thank you for the information.
  • julieruns1
    Options
    I appreciate your information, you seem to have the nutrition information dialed in. I do notice that occasionally I feel a little sluggish/dragging with exercise (more in the last couple of weeks when I have also seen a drop in my weight.) but I just likened it to the fact that I had worked 10 hrs in a job where I am required to wear a lead vest/skirt for prolonged periods. Could you explain maintenance calories. I have been following a 1400 calorie diet (even on the days where i exercise hard.) Over the course of 8 months I have dropped 35 inches and 12% body fat so it has definitely not been a rapid reduction in either. Again, I appreciate the information:)
  • Lukazetta
    Options
    I appreciate your information, you seem to have the nutrition information dialed in. I do notice that occasionally I feel a little sluggish/dragging with exercise (more in the last couple of weeks when I have also seen a drop in my weight.) but I just likened it to the fact that I had worked 10 hrs in a job where I am required to wear a lead vest/skirt for prolonged periods. Could you explain maintenance calories. I have been following a 1400 calorie diet (even on the days where i exercise hard.) Over the course of 8 months I have dropped 35 inches and 12% body fat so it has definitely not been a rapid reduction in either. Again, I appreciate the information:)

Here is a good website to figure out your TDEE: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

But keep in mind that your TDEE (maintenance calories) is only estimate based on your activity level. So if you have it set on heavy exercise in the website, you will need to make sure you exercise at least 6 times a week. So just keep in mind that it can be a bit lower/higher than estimated. Also keep in mind that you have a 10 hour job which will also impact your TDEE depending on your physical work activity.

So, I am not sure about your actual goal but I'm assuming it's crucial for you want to keep your muscle mass.

In doing so, I would recommend eating AT LEAST above 75% of your TDEE. Here's why: to maintain your muscle mass (strength in the gym), you have to make sure you do some form of weight training. Weight training puts a ton of pressure on your body depending on the intensity. Eating closer to your TDEE (at least 75%) will add to the recovery time.

Now when it comes to losing body fat %, it's inevitable that you will lose SOME strength at the gym because you aren't eating at your TDEE. This is why most body builders go on "bulking" phases when they are eating above/close to their maintenance calories. What I am recommending to you is a "cutting" phase which involves losing bf% while still maintaining most of your muscle mass.

You may also want to read up on this if you're interested in figuring out the best macro formula for you: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Currently I am doing the 40%carbs/30%fats/30%protein on days I work out and 35%carbs/35%fats/30% protein on days I don't work out. You probably already know this but good fats and protein are essential to recovery time after weight training or cardio.

Hope this helps, and feel free to PM me if you have any questions. You've made pretty amazing progress so far (-12% bf) so keep it up!
  • billthekill
    Options
    12.5% is extremely lean for a female. I suspect that maybe your measurements are off a little. A female will most likely have a very hard time maintaing 12.5% body fat for more than a few weeks.

Here are some examples of what various bf% look on a female:
    http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

The women in these picture generally gets real lean for a few weeks just before a body building / fitness competition. 95% of the time they are probably over 15% in bf.
  • julieruns1
    Options
    Hmm...Ive been measure by two trainers with the same results. The website you recommended was unavailable. My post really was about how to tell if you are losing muscle. I only mentioned the body fat percentage because it was unchanged on 2 consecutive measurements but I had lost inches. I am just curious what those inches contained if it wasnt fat....perhaps water...guess I shall never know!
  • julieruns1
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • methodless
    Options
    Calipers are said to be inaccurate for people who are very lean, so it is highly possible you have not lost much muscle mass

That having been said if you have lost 4 inches, odds are you lost fat and muscle in equal portions to what you had when you lost weight. So yes, you would have had to lose muscle mass, but not proportionately more than the fat you lost.
  • julieruns1
    Options
    Thank you for this information! I am going to take a look and see if I can perfect my diet a bit. Thank you for the encouragement too:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!