MFP Runner's Club

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    jess's kids are back in school...watch out--this woman will be doing an ironman in no time!! haha!:laugh:

HAHAHA!!! :laugh: That totally cracked me up!!

Actually, I just signed up and am going to get my personal training certification!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    3 mile steady run this morning. Picked up my race packet at the Expo this afternoon. I just love a good race expo it is like hitting the commerce tent at the county fair but with stuff your actually interested in.:laugh:
  • bgood14
    bgood14 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    If you're in need of oxygen, it may be better to send it to the attention of your running buddy :)

a very good point...maybe i need to get me one of those! (you know, besides all the running buddies i have here)

made it through 6.2 today, and i'm back at the keyboard typing, which is a good sign.

here's a thought for all -- especially our beginner friends: i realize this is much easier said than done, but overall, try really hard NOT to be discouraged. it's been said on here before that everyone is going to have a bad day, and sometimes you're going to have more than just one. i've probably "officially" been a runner for more than 20 years now, and let me tell you, i've had more than my share of them.

now, many of you have training schedules all mapped out, and i know you want to hit every workout on target and have that sense of accomplishment. but if things don't go according to plan one day, do your best to shake it off and keep making progress. granted, if you're missing by a mile every single day, it may be harder to just chalk it up to a fluke. but overall, i'm impressed with how many of you have gotten into a routine and you keep racking up great workouts. kudos to you.

i've been going along pretty well now for almost 3 yrs, since i got the Nike+ ipod system for Christmas. but if you remember my basketball injury from last month, i was out almost 4 weeks with no running. so what a surprise that while i was running 7:30's for 10K in July, i was struggling to keep up with my dad last week for 5 miles at around 9:30 per. i know, i know -- not looking for any sympathy points here. just trying to make the point that there are going to be bumps in the road. the great thing about running is that every day is a new day, and you can get right back out there and try again. for what it's worth...
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good evening Runners!

Did an easy 4 miles tonight...I just got a new pair of shoes so I was excited to try them out. I struggled a little bit but I think it's because of the humidity. It's hard to breathe here in the mountains when the air is thick with rain.

Channing - good to see you again!

Becky - it sucks that you have to go through that but I'm so glad that you are running!
  • annaliza
    Options
    I teach at Glenville State College in WV :smile: I also teach at the local federal prison...

I teach computer science....not a bad job...there are a lot worse :smile:

Thanks for asking :flowerforyou:

Cool! I will (sort of) be in your neck of the woods in October...we're coming to Morgantown for WVU's Homecoming, and I was just curious where you are. :flowerforyou:

Wow!!! That's not too far from us!!! I am a grad student at WVU....what a small world!

We should meet up...that would be so great! :drinker:

Annaliza,

I'm a certified elementary school teacher, but my DREAM JOB:love: would be to teach at a prison. Before I was an elementary ed. major in college, I wanted to be a Correctional Office... thus my minor in Criminal Justice... how do you like it? And, how did you get started doing that (just out of curiosity)?

Oh man, if you come to WV, I can hook you up with your dream job!

I am an adjunct professor at a local college that has an agreement with the federal prison. So I "volunteered" to get paid to teach at the prison. My boss is in charge of the entire program so I'm almost obligated to teach there. Besides, we are constantly looking for people to teach there since it is too much for some people. There are goods and bads about it...overall I really enjoy teaching there.

The students there are exceptional...but there are a lot of restrictions that causes me triple work, so it's not always worth it. The best thing about it is that the students are engaged and eager - they did well no matter what I threw at them. The worst thing is that I am working with criminals, men who are manipulative and devious - even slimey.

They are constantly looking for someone who can teach "in house" rather than an adjunct at the college. And they pay very well ....close to 3 figure salary (65-75 k year here in Wv - more or less elsewhere). You need a min of a bachelors degree and some teaching experience. There are government job sites that you can locate jobs for the prison. Pm me if you want them and I will look it up for you.

Hope that helps and good luck with finding your dream job. I dream of being a stay at home mom lol of all the things in this world....and instead I'm opposite. I am the high powered executive in a high level position with a job that is stressful and hard (I also work in the I.T department). lol, yay for me :tongue:

Thanks for asking :wink:
  • christine918
    Options
    Hey folks! I have been having a fair amount of pain in my left hip lately, in the front, near the groin area. I asked my personal trainer about it (she's not a runner), but she thinks it is probably hip flexor pain. She reccomended rolling it and stretching. Of course, I always stretch after my runs. I did roll it Tues. and today. I can run on it and it actually doesn't bother me too much during a run (downhill hurts some), but it really gets stiff and tender when I walk, especially if I have been sitting for a while. I have been increasing my mileage lately, but carefully; no more than 10% per week, as I prepare for my first half in Oct. I really don't want to rest more than a day or two, since I have the half coming up and have been working so hard to get ready for it. On the other hand, I don't want to push it too much and have an injury that prevents me from running at all. Any thoughts?

I had the same problem with mine. I went to the doc. and they said it was hip bursitis. I had some problems with my IT band also. You better get it checked out because it gets way worse if you don't get it taken care of. Good luck to you!

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Did six miles tonight. I missed two of my runs this week so I was nervous but did fine.

Considering running a 10 mile race this Saturday instead of running with my group. I need some excitement!! :) I'll let ya know if I do and how I survive :) It will be my first double digit run!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    So here's what I'm thinking... and I'd like your input, everyone!

Tomorrow is Couch to 5k week 8 day 3... I'm almost done!! Anyhow, next Sunday is my 5k. My goal is to finish. Period. I don't care if it takes me a week and a half. So far, I'm proud to say that I've done Couch to 5k every single time I'm supposed to according to the training plan, outside every time (I hate treadmills)- no matter how hot (and a hot summer it's been!), haven't walked at all when I wasn't supposed to, or ended early, and have run on hills the whole time (I live on top of a hill :grumble: )... so, I'm thinking I'm kicking butt :drinker: :laugh: if I do say so myself.

Since I have tomorrow, and then 3 runs next week (Mon, Wed, Fri) then the race Sunday, I think I'll take a break from the hills tomorrow and go to the high school track. I want to see what it's like to run on flat ground! I like training on the hills because then (or so I tell myself) the actual race CANNOT be harder, and actually should feel easier, since it's flat.

Initially, my plan was to have race day be the first time I've ever run on flat land, but the more I think about it, race day shouldn't be a first for anything (trying a new pre-run snack/meal, new shoes, etc.). I'd hate to get to race day and think "holy cow this is EASY on flat land" and then over-do it at the beginning and struggle, or even worse, have to walk part of it:sad:

What do we think, runners? How's my very amateur, shot-in-the-dark plan sounding? I appreciate the input! :wink:
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    So here's what I'm thinking... and I'd like your input, everyone!

Tomorrow is Couch to 5k week 8 day 3... I'm almost done!! Anyhow, next Sunday is my 5k. My goal is to finish. Period. I don't care if it takes me a week and a half. So far, I'm proud to say that I've done Couch to 5k every single time I'm supposed to according to the training plan, outside every time (I hate treadmills)- no matter how hot (and a hot summer it's been!), haven't walked at all when I wasn't supposed to, or ended early, and have run on hills the whole time (I live on top of a hill :grumble: )... so, I'm thinking I'm kicking butt :drinker: :laugh: if I do say so myself.

Since I have tomorrow, and then 3 runs next week (Mon, Wed, Fri) then the race Sunday, I think I'll take a break from the hills tomorrow and go to the high school track. I want to see what it's like to run on flat ground! I like training on the hills because then (or so I tell myself) the actual race CANNOT be harder, and actually should feel easier, since it's flat.

Initially, my plan was to have race day be the first time I've ever run on flat land, but the more I think about it, race day shouldn't be a first for anything (trying a new pre-run snack/meal, new shoes, etc.). I'd hate to get to race day and think "holy cow this is EASY on flat land" and then over-do it at the beginning and struggle, or even worse, have to walk part of it:sad:

What do we think, runners? How's my very amateur, shot-in-the-dark plan sounding? I appreciate the input! :wink:

I think that your plan sounds pretty darn good! The thing is if you are running a race with hills then you should train on hills and if you are running a race thats flat you should train some flat... also because you will probably be even faster on flat but you don't know cause you haven't done very much flat running. See how it goes on the track and you might want to add in more flat running after your race, don't get me wrong hills are GREAT but they can be very fatiguing and you may be much stronger on flat land... Good luck, keep up updated :happy:

I haven't been running, just cycling... every time I go out to run I pull my hip flexor so I'm going to give it a little more time so I can go out strong instead of continuing to re-injure it... HAPPY RUNNING ALL!

~Leash :heart:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Thanks, Leash. I appreciate your response. I'm also trying to teach myself to run in the morning since the race is at 8am (and I usually run around dinner time), so I'll let you know in the morning how it goes... wish me luck!! :tongue:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks, Leash. I appreciate your response. I'm also trying to teach myself to run in the morning since the race is at 8am (and I usually run around dinner time), so I'll let you know in the morning how it goes... wish me luck!! :tongue:

Good luck!! Yes, if you're going to be running early then I would practice that! I'm an early runner myself, and it's harder for me to run in the evenings!
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Did six miles tonight. I missed two of my runs this week so I was nervous but did fine.

Considering running a 10 mile race this Saturday instead of running with my group. I need some excitement!! :) I'll let ya know if I do and how I survive :) It will be my first double digit run!

Great job!! Good luck on your race! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    3 mile steady run this morning. Picked up my race packet at the Expo this afternoon. I just love a good race expo it is like hitting the commerce tent at the county fair but with stuff your actually interested in.:laugh:

I love race expos too! Good luck! :drinker:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Apparently I am very tuned in to my body which isn't a bad thing, but when I start getting one area out of whack, I immediately begin compensating which creates other issues. I'll be checking in with this PT every 6 months for a body alignment check/form spot because she has helped me so much! And I've been amazed at how just a little form tweak completely changes everything.
    I would recommend a session or two with a physical therapist. They can give you great suggestions, exercises and stertches. It's worth every penny IMO!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

btw~ cycle yesterday, 2 1/2 mile run today with cycle and circuit trining afterward. Going for 7-10 tomorrow....we'll see how it goes!

Becky

Good job staying in tune w/ your body and going to see a PT! That should help. Stretching is SO important for runners!!!!! I learned that hard way. So please make sure you are stretching (everyone!!). Yoga is great too!

Good luck on the long run! :drinker:
  • annaliza
    Options
    Whew, Keylynn...I would definately try the track first. I thought the same thing as you "I might find it easy" then found out that I had a MUCH harder time on the track then all my hills in the mountains. I'm glad you changed your plan and are planning to try a track before your race.

Night everyone :yawn:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    First treadmill run in ages!! It was raining this morning so my buddies and I decided not to head out at 5AM. :wink: So I ran 4 miles on the treadmill, then swam 650 yds. My kiddos are back to school so now I can get back to my Y routine! :bigsmile:

And went for a 3 mile walk w/ the family tonight plus Ab Ripper X w/ my dh and 10yo. :drinker:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! Missed my morning run today, just couldn't pull it off. Sent husband to take kids to music lessons and got an after dinner run in and feel great! 3.5 miles and planning on trying again in the am tomorrow because it does feel wonderful to have it done and get that boost first thing, but I have to say a pm run gives me a little boost too. Eh, its a toss up :laugh:

Oh, and Bgood I left you a little smack @ nike :happy:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Whew, Keylynn...I would definately try the track first. I thought the same thing as you "I might find it easy" then found out that I had a MUCH harder time on the track then all my hills in the mountains. I'm glad you changed your plan and are planning to try a track before your race.

Night everyone :yawn:

Oh no! I hope I don't find the track harder... was it the monotony of running in circles? That's why I hate treadmills- I feel like I just stare at the clock because there's nothing else to look at :ohwell: I need tomorrow to be great, not to bum me out one week before the race... fingers are crossed. Thanks for the response! :flowerforyou:
  • annaliza
    Options
    This post is about to be locked out - I know, I'm supposed to be in bed lol