What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Better to be an overweight runner than an overweight couch potato.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have a hell of a lot more respect for a person with some weight issues tackling them with physical fitness than I do some skinny punk that has the mental aptitude to scoff at them for doing so.

Also, to reiterate an earlier comment made in this thread, I believe at least some of it may be psychological on your part (and I am speaking from experience) as having a weight issue can make one sensitive to other people's glances. Walking up to the starting line with a positive attitude and a small dose of "I-don't-care-what-you-think" tucked safely in your back pocket can help.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You may think people are gawking at you but as a runner, I am usually focusing on my run and not other people. But if I saw you, I would think that is AWESOME! It just means you want to be healthy and are motivated to get there!
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ok, thinner or "fit" people seeing you running should be thinking "hello, fellow runner, here we are, both of us out enjoying our sport". Anyone giving you snarky looks deserves a kick in the pants. I would be happy to oblige them.

Honestly, being a smallish person at 5'2" and at a normal weight, and having been a runner since highschool (finally got sick of being made fun of in gym class for sucking at the Cooper Run every year, so I took matters into my own hands), I know how hard it was for me to start, even given that I wasn't too overweight when I started. So for me to see someone significantly heavier than me out there pounding the pavement... I am actually in awe and have much respect. Because that's true love of the sport. It's tough running with extra weight, much tougher than running at a normal weight, and even a normal weight is hard if you want to compete (which is why elites train themselves thin. Less weight = faster pace). So what heavier runners do takes a LOT more work than what "thin or fit people" do. You are, therefore, a badass.

So just think about that the next time you get a snotty look. Work it, girl. Own it!
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    I'm a big guy and I run. I don't care what others think, I'm out there for me. I just get lost in the rhythym of my feet hitting the ground and my music and enjoy the sights along the trail.

As far as the comment about being overweight and running will hurt your joints, I call shenanigans. Before I lost weight my knees would hurt, once I began walking, then walking with mixing in running, and now just running, my knees don't give me problems.
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    I think, "Wow, I wish I could run like that!" I have horrible endurance. I'm building it up, though! Maybe next time I'm at the park I can match the pace of some of those runners, overweight or not.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    My idea on overweight runners?

Well for every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back....thats an injury waiting to happen.
    It also throws off your stride as well as adding potential damage to your feet.
    Walk fast instead of running till you can get the BF% down then if you need the CV work then start running.
    You can lose a ton of weight with a 20 min daily walk.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am always inspired by people that might be a little larger out running and I think that's true for the majority of runners that I have met and talked with. It seems that the only ones who make comments or the ones that are not doing anything.

You're doing great, just keep focused on yourself and ignore those that would try to bring you down.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive been obese my whole life but I always had a thing for running my fav runner is Flo Jo. Every since I joined this site Ive gained back my love for running even though I'm 268lbs I can ya know...run with a good pace. Well...my pace but I'm still learning and training. When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?
    I think it's great! Runners come in all shapes & sizes. I'm glad you found something you enjoy, keep up the good work. :happy:
  • bigtwagner
    bigtwagner Posts: 113
    Options
    I am 240 pounds and i have ran two full marathons and three half marathons. One thing i have learned with running is that running is a self motivating sport. With that said, you have many egotistical runners out there, because once you tell yourself that you cant do it anymore, you are done. I also get stares when my wife and I are out running. I try to use those stares as motivation. The best thing about running is that you set your own pace, and every accomplishment is earned by no one other than yourself! Keep running because at least you are trying to be active! You can do it!
  • mamaparks87
    mamaparks87 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This will sound awful but I am overweight and I hesitate to run outside where I can be seen because I am afraid people will think something is wrong, like I am running from something rather than running for health. I know that is absurd obviously. But when I see bigger people doing things like that I admire them.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just came across this quote....

“I set my own value in this world. I am not affected by others opinions of me. Another’s opinion of me has no worth. I am secure in my self-worth. My opinion of me is high, protected and sacred.” – Marcia Persaud
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My thought, especially if they're overweight, is "What a BAMF! You go girl (or guy)! Work it!" I feel this way because I know they're doing the work for a reason and it has taken a lot for them to get out and run in the first place. I know...I've been there!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I was 266lbs when i first started running, and now i have JUST broke the 200lb mark this week. I got a lot of hassel from rejects when i was first out running and it can get you down, i still get the odd taunt, of "run Forest run" etc. and i have learnt to turn any shout or whatever into a good one lol

When i see over-weight runners pass me, i make a special effort to say something motivational, something id love to hear when iv hit a wall like, "Go on Lad/Lass, Your doing great! Keep it going!" Hopefully it gives them a boost and they will contiue running.

Running changed my life from been an overweight couch potato, to a semi-overweight athlete :D Why cant running do it for them.

Overweight Running FTW
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    My idea on overweight runners?

Well for every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back....thats an injury waiting to happen.
    It also throws off your stride as well as adding potential damage to your feet.
    Walk fast instead of running till you can get the BF% down then if you need the CV work then start running.
    You can lose a ton of weight with a 20 min daily walk.
    Again... I call shenanigans.
  • lovevspink
    Options
    I am too busy with my own workout to make comments at an overwieght runner. Bottom line - MOST of us (myself included) are overweight - that's why we run. I'm about 20 pounds more than I'd like to be - I just refuse to give up my Village Inn pies - LOL.

When I see an overweight runner I often think to myself, "That's pretty neat!" Then I wonder if this is the first first time they've finally had the courage to get out and do something about their health (note - I did't say "weight."). I also wonder if the size they are currently at is perhaps 10-20-50 pounds lighter from where they used to be. And I think, "AWESOME!"

I NEVER laugh and I never judge a runner - period. I'm not perfect!! I'm muscular (got thighs) and look like I should be a sprinter. But instead, I'm training to be a mid-distance (long distance) runner. Someone could judge me and say, "Hell no! She can't do that. She isn't tall and lanky. Yet, I can drop 10 miles on a dime (I'm short, 5'2" and 145 lbs). I'm no light weight though I look 130 due to muscle.

I exercise at a D1 (Division 1) athletic club and the trainers are FIT FIT FIT. Yet.... MOST of them can't RUN RUN RUN (one admitted to me she can run / walk about 2 miles and she's done - LOL). Why? They are so packed with muscle their bodies can't run efficiently for 2 hours - mine can.

I admire anone who runs - and I think most people IGNORE the size of the runner. If you are wheezing and turning beet red while running - you MIGHT get some looks. But guess what? THIN people would get the SAME looks. My neighbor said she almost pulled over and asked me if I wanted a ride. Okay? And I wear size 9 junior jeans. So it aint' your size - it's you sweetie - it's all you. Now... go run! I'll race ya ;)
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I started running at 336 lbs. Several marathons, half-marathons, and triathlons later...I've lost a bunch of weight. I still have a long way to go, but when I'm running I feel awesome! I'm glad that I have a support community at my gym (for the most part). I get lots of compliments and high fives after I run for a while. It's all about the people you surround yourself with. I've been to a few gyms that are not nice. They are more like the night club scene. I don't ever feel that way with my current gym. You rock for running.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive been obese my whole life but I always had a thing for running my fav runner is Flo Jo. Every since I joined this site Ive gained back my love for running even though I'm 268lbs I can ya know...run with a good pace. Well...my pace but I'm still learning and training. When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?

If I see anybody that's obese and exercising in any way I'm very happy for them. Get out and exercise how you want to without worrying about other people's opinion. :)
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I say GOOD FOR YOU!! The only way to improve is to try, and you out there running is more effort than most people would bother to criticize are doing. I am a runner (when not injured .. ankle injuries lately) and no matter who I see running, I wish I was them!! Keep on trucking!!
  • acg1305
    acg1305 Posts: 224 Member
    Options

don't even notice them! It could even be your own insecurities and they are looking at you thinking wow fair play to her! Everyone has to start running somewhere! Keep it going it feels great :-)