Clothes shoping (Women only please)

Options

Replies

• SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I like Limited and New York & Co. They are kind of pricey if you are in the middle of losing weight, but if you hit their sales or get their coupons it makes their clothing more reasonable.

I love the Limited (that's where the majority of my close are from)! I also like Ann Taylor and Banana Republic but we don't have either store here (the closest is about an hour or so away). Express sometimes has some cute stuff too. Definitely shop the sale rack and get coupons! I am 34 and I know what you mean! However the sizing will make you feel better (hopefully!). I just bought a pair of size 6 jeans at Express but a pair that I bought at Hollister a couple years ago that fit are a size 11!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I like Ross and TJ Maxx
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I totally hear you--I'm also 30 and it can be hard to find age-appropriate non-frumpy stuff! Old Navy has the best shorts right now. They have a whole bunch of different lengths. It's awesome!
  • christinet8504
    Options
    Victoria's Secret! We don't have their clothes in store here, so you may have to buy online, but their clothes are awesome!
  • buffybabe
    buffybabe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am 25 and have not been shopping in the junior's department for years. I honestly found that I like the stuff in the women's better. I love Kohl's women's department! Their J Lo brand, Elle Brand, Lauren Conrad brand are all young hip looking clothing that is still appropriate. I also find a lot of clothes at the Limited, everything is very classic and well made.
  • smsinger75
    smsinger75 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great responses so far. I just wanted to add that I would definitely recommend JC Penney, Kohl's and Target. I have some really cute stuff at all of them and I am in my 30s. Good luck with your shopping!! I will have to go soon myself as my stuff from last year doesn't fit anymore. It is falling off. Woohoo!
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just went to JC Penney last night and they have completely changed their clothing selection for women. They have a lot of fashionable clothes for women in their 30s that don't make them look like they are trying to recapture their youth or ready for the retirement home. I left there with 5 shirts, 2 pairs of jeans (one in a size 12, one a size 10 - I am formerly a size 24 wearer!!!) and 2 pairs of shoes for just over $200. Very affordable!

<
    profile pic is an outfit I purchased last night.
  • Dawnsdream
    Options
    I like Maurices, Belks, American Eagle. I am 49 years old and I love hip hugger jeans. Get what makes you feel comfortable and what you like. Dont let your age change what you want to wear. You are as yound as you feel. One day I may have no choice but to change style but for now I AM LOVING IT.:happy:
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Banana Republic and J Crew are 2 of my favorites. And if you have outlets anywhere near you, those are seriously the best way to shop. I also like Old Navy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm turning 40 and will still buy stuff from the juniors department if it fits well. But try on everything. Sometimes things that look "meh" on the rack look fantastic on.

I just had the same complaint after shopping yesterday at Kohls. The Juniors stuff is supposed to be for teenagers, but there's so much stuff that's... I don't want to say slutty (because it's stuff I'd wear and I'm certainly not a slut) but certainly a lot sexier and edgier. Things with cutouts and lace inserts and super-tight jeans... stuff I wouldn't want a teenage daughter to wear if I had one. Then as soon as you're an "adult," you have to dress frumpy.

But if you're not super-broke and shopping the clearance racks like I do, I like a lot of the misses' clothes from Kohls.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30. Kohl's & Macy's have become my new favorite places to shop.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I really like Ann Taylor Loft for age appropriate (I'm 36) clothes. I have also had good luck at Kohls.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    We have an outlet mall close by me and I hit up the Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic outlet stores in there. I think those are great for making the transition from the the juniors dept.

Great idea. What age were you when you transitioned if I may ask? The whole turning 30 is weird for me. I don't look 30 or feel any older but I want to go for the more grown up look i guess.

I'm 35.. I started moving away from juniors around 27 / 28. So now it just feels natural. Every so often I go by juniors and look at tops, but never get pants from there anymore as it just no longer works with my body type.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Any store will do, but try the "Misses" section. It's for senior tweeners like us ("tweeners" are the kids in between childhood and teendom, so we 29/30-year-olds get to be the senior version of that), and that's where I shop now. I can't stand going into the "Women's" section; everything looks like my grandma should wear it. The other day, while on vacation, I went to the "Juniors" section and just about died when I realized I was not even interested in wearing those clothes. I even said to my boyfriend, "Okay, let's get the hell out of here; I can't wear this sh**! I'm almost 30!" Off I went to the Misses section, and I found plenty of clothes that were right for our age. I was shopping at Beall's, but Kohl's is good too!

^This^

The "misses" section is the non-plus-size department for adult women. Juniors is for teenagers and therefore the clothes are made for a girl without a womanly figure. "Misses" carries "normal" sizes (0-12 or so) made for adult women.

Do yourself a favor and don't try to dress yourself from the juniors department at age 30. You'll just look like you're trying too hard. I promise.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Buy what you like and what fits as long as it isn't too Jr High. I shop in combination of Junior and Misse's both. Wear the low rider jeans, and what ever suits my fancy. Dress for the occasion and your mood! Unfortunately for me, in my part of the country we don't have a lot of choices. Most of my dress clothes come from JC Penneys. Oh I forgot to add, I am in my 60's and think too many clothes outside of the Junior department are too old for me even.:laugh:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Target has the Mossimo line that has several different fits for each of their jeans and they are great. Affordable too.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I'm on the east coast (jersey) so there's a lot of options. And there is two different outlet malls about an hour away I will def have to go hit them up. I haven't really even shopped anywhere in awhile because I get so upset when things don't fit right. These are all great suggestions and have really made me feel better about going out to find something. I'm 5'1 and have an hour glass figure so things that would fit my waist don't fit the rest of me. Thank you everyone for the info :)
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    just an FYI...gap has 25 % off today and tommorow online only...use code GAPGET at checkout...and shipping is free over $50 :)

PLUS you can shop for the kids, hubs... annnnnnnnnd combine shipping with Banana, Old Navy, Piperlime (my FAVE) & Athleta!

I am totally getting a denim jacket in a fun color! YAY!~

I ♥ Shopping!
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    I have a hell of a time finding clothes as well. I find both sides (jrs/misses) don't fit right for different reasons. Despite my ample bottom half, women's jeans are not shaped right for me. I have a small waist and a big butt. The jeans that fit my butt are too big in the waist and vice versa. Women's clothing also seem to have gotten a lot bigger over the years (Is that just me??)
    Junior's are made for narrow hips. I find that stretchy junior's jeans fit me the best. They fit my smaller waist while stretching around my hips, butt, and thighs.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have a small waist and a big butt. The jeans that fit my butt are too big in the waist and vice versa.

This is when you should be having your clothes tailored. You should buy clothes that fit the largest part of your body (here, your hips and behind) and then have them taken in where they are too large.

Having the waist taken in on a pair of pants is a very common and inexpensive alteration. I pay $8 to have this done, as I have the same problem.