How can carbs be bad when ppl have eaten them for thousands

Options

Replies

• 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Well, i wouldn't demonize carbs, BUT i haven't had any processed carbs for a few months now and feel fantastic. i'm having an easier time losing weight, and am gaining muscle like crazy, simply by replacing the calories i would eat in carbs with protein.
    I'm just going by how fantastic i feel and all the energy i have now (that i didn't have before). maybe give it a shot? it's easier to do than you think. :)

I don't know how easy this would be as I choose not to eat meat. And like many countries that don't put a huge emphasis on meat, I eat a lot more carbs (Japan, Central America, etc).
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I dont think that all carbs are bad - just as others have said. Processed carbs - sugars, etc are bad, especially in large amounts. I personally cant have that many carbs and the carbs I do eat must come from natural sources only - whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc. I cant really even have too much fruit - esp those high in natural sugars like watermelon. That is for ME personally. I am insulin resistant with borderline diabetes. I LOVE chocolate, bread, white rice, etc but when I eat it, my body basically shuts down and being healthy is impossible for me. Even when I was on a 1500 calorie diet and eating healthy carbs, I was gaining weight. My body just cant handle it.. anyway, my Dr. put me on low carb diet and all of a sudden, I feel great and the weight is finally coming off. So anyway, I dont think carbs are bad. I love them in fact BUT they arent good for everyone or they are good, but just in moderation.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Read The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson... Or go to www.marksdailyapple.com. Go Primal!! :bigsmile:

Only if you want your head filled with lots of nonsense
    On an evolutionary time scale people have not been eating grains for very long, only some 10.000 or 20.000 years.
    Compare that to about 2.000.000 years eating everything else.

Now experts say we need to suddenly eat totally different? As in grain products as the basis of our food pyramid?
    Doesn't really make sense.

Wenn grains and sugars are processed to create foods that contain lots of energy and little to no nutrients, combined with a sendentary live style, then your insulin will spike after you eat and excess energy is strored in fat.

We don't want to be fat. That's why carbs, as in grain products and sugars, are bad

Excess calories make you fat regardless of it's carbs, fats or pro.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Carbs in fresh whole form are not bad. Fruit, veggies, some grains. It's the stuff that's all sugar and processed flour thats not so good for you. Like all things though in moderation it's doable. Stick to the edge of the grocery store and those are the healthier carbs except the cake and candy isle on the front edge. :) Balance and experimentation is the key. Some folks do well on higher carbs and others on less. Mother nature knows her stuff. It's when man strips the good stuff down and fortifies a bar of sugar/maltodetr#$&/Titan$@&@&/Oxcid@$&&/Dye 33546758ew568(you get the picture) that we get messed up.
    Now pass me my coffee and my 50% off reeses chocolate easter bunny. Yeah breakfast!
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

No I think that the majority of people with weight problems have some intolerance to carbohydrates. I think eating a high carb calorie restricted diet is not very helpful in the long term. I don't care what works for you, I'm talking about people who have weight problems.

There is evidence that does suggest high fat and low fat phenotypes but I don't think all overweight people (or even the majority) have problems with carbohydrates. It does become a trial and error thing but Im not convinced someone who is in a caloric deficit can have fat loss completely halted by the introduction of carbohydrates.
  • kaiman1
    kaiman1 Posts: 27
    Options

I agree that excess calories make you fat.
    But regardless of carbs? (I prefer to speak of grain products as I am not against carbs)

What do you base your claims on? Can you provide facts? I'd be interested.
  • Acg67
    Options

But regardless of carbs? (I prefer to speak of grain products as I am not against carbs)

What exactly do you want facts on ? If you were to overeat on fat that you would actually get fat?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

No I think that the majority of people with weight problems have some intolerance to carbohydrates. I think eating a high carb calorie restricted diet is not very helpful in the long term. I don't care what works for you, I'm talking about people who have weight problems.

There is evidence that does suggest high fat and low fat phenotypes but I don't think all overweight people (or even the majority) have problems with carbohydrates. It does become a trial and error thing but Im not convinced someone who is in a caloric deficit can have fat loss completely halted by the introduction of carbohydrates.

I happen to think its the majority that does have problems with carbs, as opposed to just a small minority. I'm not convinced either that someone on a caloric deficit can have fat loss halted by carbs because that would defy the laws of physics. I just think that eating too many carbs makes it so difficult to prevent overeating because they lead to increased hunger in susceptible individuals (aka. the majority of fat people).
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    The thing is that the carbs we eat today HAVEN'T been eaten for thousands of years. Refined carbs, like white flour, are new inventions, less than 200 years old, & when it was first created, it was a luxury item.

carbs aren't bad, refined carbs are. There's a difference.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation.

Cultures where people live longer than other humans (Iceland, islands off Greece, Japan) all have carbs.

Carbs do not make you fat, sitting around on your *kitten* doing nothing makes you fat (and eating over maintenance cals).
  • Acg67
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

I happen to think its the majority that does have problems with carbs, as opposed to just a small minority. I'm not convinced either that someone on a caloric deficit can have fat loss halted by carbs because that would defy the laws of physics. I just think that eating too many carbs makes it so difficult to prevent overeating because they lead to increased hunger in susceptible individuals (aka. the majority of fat people).

Then in the majority of studies with ad lib intake comparing low carb diets vs a more mixed diet should show greater fat loss, but it's about 50/50 and even less when you look for matched protein intakes
  • grinch031
    Options

You can manually overfeed and get fat with any macro-nutrient ratio. However I haven't seen much evidence that people on low-carb diets will generally gain much weight while eating ad lib. Why because low-carb diets lead to better control of hunger and eating behavior.
  • grinch031
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

Then in the majority of studies with ad lib intake comparing low carb diets vs a more mixed diet should show greater fat loss, but it's about 50/50 and even less when you look for matched protein intakes

I really don't care about rate of fat loss too much. What I care about is why low carb diets cause the body's set point to lower in most people.

You bring this up a lot, do you have a link or pubmed search criteria where I can find some of these studies to see what they show?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

I really don't care about rate of fat loss too much. What I care about is why low carb diets cause the body's set point to lower in most people.

You bring this up a lot, do you have a link or pubmed search criteria where I can find some of these studies to see what they show?

What do you mean it causes the body's set point to lower in most people?

Just search for low carbohydrate weight loss trials and then get to work on the citations and references
  • grinch031
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

Just search for low carbohydrate weight loss trials and then get to work on the citations and references

Yeah I looked before but didn't know the magic keywords to get to the relevant studies.

Basically the set point that the body prefers to stay at in an ad lib environment. My set point has been 180 for the past 2 months after dropping about 15 lbs. No matter how I structure my eating and despite a gradual increase in weekly mileage in running, my weight has not changed at all besides the small fluctuations.

Back when I was doing races on a high carb diet, I was slowly increasing weight to where I'd hit 200 lbs and then go on some drastic reduction in calories and the cycle repeated every few months.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You can manually overfeed and get fat with any macro-nutrient ratio. However I haven't seen much evidence that people on low-carb diets will generally gain much weight while eating ad lib. Why because low-carb diets lead to better control of hunger and eating behavior.

And I would ask the same of you that you asked of Acg67. I mean no challenge or disrespect in that. The above statement, or some version of it, I've seen you repeat as your belief. I ask with a completely open mind, do you have any studies that support this belief? It may be true for all I know. I'd be interested in learning if it is or isn't.
  • grinch031
    Options

And I would ask the same of you that you asked of Acg67. I mean no challenge or disrespect in that. The above statement, or some version of it, I've seen you repeat as your belief. I ask with a completely open mind, do you have any studies that support this belief? It may be true for all I know. I'd be interested in learning if it is or isn't.

Which belief as I stated 3 of them in that paragraph?
  • Acg67
    Options
    Nice reasoning.

Yeah I looked before but didn't know the magic keywords to get to the relevant studies.

Basically the set point that the body prefers to stay at in an ad lib environment. My set point has been 180 for the past 2 months after dropping about 15 lbs. No matter how I structure my eating and despite a gradual increase in weekly mileage in running, my weight has not changed at all besides the small fluctuations.

Back when I was doing races on a high carb diet, I was slowly increasing weight to where I'd hit 200 lbs and then go on some drastic reduction in calories and the cycle repeated every few months.

And on what basis did you exclude all other diets from lowering the set point and what has lead you to beleive the set point theory is accurate
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    One time my trainer asked me what I eat and as I was listing it she said "Oh you're still ON bread?" like it was a drug or something!!

Your trainer sounds like a bit of a *kitten*. Is he/she a meathead, a spotty youth?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Which belief as I stated 3 of them in that paragraph?

"You can manually overfeed and get fat with any macro-nutrient ratio."

This one is proven fact in my opinion.

" I haven't seen much evidence that people on low-carb diets will generally gain much weight while eating ad lib. Why because low-carb diets lead to better control of hunger and eating behavior."

These are the statement that I'd be interested in seeing if they can be backed up by any valid research. Thanks for clarifying.