Trader Joe's

Options
I am taking my FIRST trip to Trader Joe's with a friend from work. Does anyone have any suggestions on healthy snacks, or suggestions in general for my field trip? I need to know of some guilt free yummy snacks! Feel free to add me as a friend, I am looking for some online support during my journey to a healthier lifestyle. Thanks.

Replies

• klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    They have oodles of dried fruit. I basically live on banana chips and kettle corn from there as snacks. They're a re-sale-r, so lots of their food is going to be frozen, but not all of it is too high in sodium. Some of their frozen food is heavenly (i.e. any of the Indian food), and the turkey chili (while high in sodium) is chock full of protein and amazing.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's. I find their prices to be pretty good too!

I love their....

hummus
    baked potato chips ...they have regular and bbq
    fresh fruit/veggies
    turkey burgers (frozen section)
    reduced guilt entrees....they still have high sodium though (as do most frozen entrees)
    nuts....you can get salted or unsalted with many of them. Just watch portions!

I'll have to think of more! I just go and look at what looks yummy to me!
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    Dried fruit is always good, but check to make sure what you get isn't loaded with extra sugar. Their fresh produce isn't always the best, but they do have a variety of healthier snacks like veggie chips and trail mix (again, just check the ingredients for added sugar). I personally am a sucker for their gallon of unsweetened green tea and natural peanut butter. The ingredients are literally peanuts and salt (I get salted), but it's smooth and creamy like "regular" peanut butters (but without the sickening sweetness from the added sugars in Jif and the like).
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Love TJs!

Goat cheese medallions
    Wasabi almonds
    This Fig Walked Into A Bar (cereal bars)
    cheapo olive oil
    garlic stuffed olives
    butternut squash soup
    three-layer hummus
    cashew butter
    ginger cat cookies
    frozen lime bars
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    They have these little ice cream bars, mango and cream or raspberry and cream...they are amazing. Also they have chicken cilantro dumpling in the freezer section which are great and also frozen brown rice you do in the microwave which is great. And they have these chips that remind me of sun chips that are good
  • sglasberg
    sglasberg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love their frozen rice, they have white, brown, and a rice medley. Three minutes in the microwave and viola! I also love the goat cheese medallions, as someone else pointed out. The frozen chicken dumplings are also fantastic!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    My heart is sad that we have no Trader Joe's here :(
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    You should be able to find tofuti cuties there which are a good ice cream sandwich alternative. Also, their Double Rainbow sorbet is amazing (and fat free)!

The one thing I'd watch out for is all the sodium crammed into the pre-made food options. Things like the insta-Indian food are good when you're in a pinch, but it's best to make your food from scratch. :)
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Be careful at Trader Joes... a lot of their food isn't any healthier than what you'd find in the junk food section of a grocery store. Their prices are high as well.

That being said I love their gnocchi.
  • apvalletta
    apvalletta Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Try the "Better than peanut butter" & the raspberry/vanilla ice cream bars. Also, the soy chocolate milk is great before or after your workout
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm a big TJ's fan. It may depend on where you are -- my TJ's locations generally have very fresh produce. I do gravitate to the nuts and dried fruits sections (I always get the unsalted nuts). The do have a lot of good things in the freezer section but others have already noted them. I hope you enjoy your trip! You may friend me if you wish.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    They have oodles of dried fruit. I basically live on banana chips and kettle corn from there as snacks. They're a re-sale-r, so lots of their food is going to be frozen, but not all of it is too high in sodium. Some of their frozen food is heavenly (i.e. any of the Indian food), and the turkey chili (while high in sodium) is chock full of protein and amazing.
    What's a re-sale-r?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do 90% of my grocery shopping at Trader Joe's. I love it. I don't generally buy processed foods though.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love their green Thai simmer sauce (found in a jar). So delicious. They have uncured natural chicken hot dogs that are really low in calories and very tasty. The coconut thin cookies are awesome, but only if you have good control and can eat just a couple. I really want to go back there now and try the three layer hummus...no idea what that is, but I love hummus. And layers.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's. I find their prices to be pretty good too!

I love their....

hummus
    baked potato chips ...they have regular and bbq
    fresh fruit/veggies
    turkey burgers (frozen section)
    reduced guilt entrees....they still have high sodium though (as do most frozen entrees)
    nuts....you can get salted or unsalted with many of them. Just watch portions!

I'll have to think of more! I just go and look at what looks yummy to me!

Yes, those portions will get you every time :)
  • bakay138
    bakay138 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Edamane Hummus...to die for.
  • erinl84
    erinl84 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    i love their veggie sticks/veggie chips :) although i now usually buy them from regular grocery store cause they carry rosemary and olive oil flavored ones. you can have a decent size portion for not many calories :)

i personally try to stay away from dried fruit and stick to fresh because they lack the water i want to get in a day
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I usually just get the basics that I'd get at any other store... almonds, soy or almond milk, curry pastes, etc. I avoid the sugary stuff like dried fruits and the like. Sure, their snacks are tasty, but I stick to the basic clean foods so they're not special. LOL.
    On a side note, their produce isn't amazing. I just get mine from my CSA or Whole Foods.

Anyway, be mindful of nutrition labels and you don't have to worry too much about the ingredients, since most of them are whole and (fun!). Of course, there's nothing wrong with a few treats too. Life is short, indulge a little. Their dark chocolate is tasty.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My staples when I go there (and I just went the other day)

- Frozen Fish - Ahi Tuna and Salmon
    - 72% Dark Chocolate bars
    - Fire roasted tomatoes with Green Chilis
    - plum tomatoes in a can with Basil - OMG use a blender to blend this up it is a great base for a fresh healthy mariana sauce
    - Kalamta Olives
    - canned Salmon and Tuna
    - Raw Almonds and Pecans
    - Garlic and Spinach chicken sausage
    - fresh fruits and veggies
    - Almond Meal
    - Coconut Oil
    - Olive Oil
    - sundried tomatoes

the Dried Fruit is good - but you need to watch as they have different versions - ones with and without added sugars - dried fruit are pretty high in sugar to begin with because it is so concentrated and it is very easy to overeat dried fruits since it is such a small serving size
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I often have the Country Italian salad for lunch. It's 380 calories with the dressing. That or 1/2 the lentil wrap sandwich.

As for snacks, I do the lite cheese sticks and the reduced guilt woven wheat crackers.

They also have a low fat Greek Yoghurt that has huge amounts or protien in it. I used to take a cup of that with about 10 frozen cherries in it. The cherries would thaw by breaktime and it was really good.

Have fun!