Starving, don't want to eat. My food is bleh!

Options
I'm kind of in a rut with food.
Every day I pretty much eat: some kind of Mexican or pasta SmartOnes or Lean Cuisine frozen dinner (lunch at work), a Sandwich Thin with turkey, cheese, spinach and fat-free sour cream or Sandwich Thin with peanut butter and banana, a spinach and raspberry vinaigrette salad, oatmeal with cinnamon and a banana, a shake made from unsweetened cocoa powder, soymilk and a banana, or a greek yogurt. The last couple of days I've thrown in some awful Easter candy and Easter dinner, but I am SO BORED with eating. I don't have a ton of options with what I buy, and I don't eat cows, most pig, most fish and I don't like peppers, onions or mushrooms. What on earth can I eat besides this? My stomach is growling so much and all my food is SO unappealing!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OMG there are so many options. I would suggest getting a good cookbook that focuses on healthy recipes, or search online for them.

Try rosting vegetables, or making your own soups. Soups are super easy to make, there are infinite possibilities and you can eat them for days.

Stir fry veggies and serve with brown rice. Rinsed dried beans and choppped crunchy vegetables in a vinegrette makes a tasty and filling lunch or side dish.

Omelets are a quick easy to make and versatile options, if you eat eggs. If you don't eat eggs and like tofu, you can make a tofu scramble.

Stew root vegetables until they are softened and browned. SO delicious.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    All of that sounds absolutely delicious right now, especially stir fry. Ugh, I love a good chicken stir fry. It feels like I'm always so hard up for time, so I feel like I never have time to make anything that isn't ready-to-eat :( I need to plan better, I suppose.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Look through the recipes at Eatingwell.com They have all sorts of recipe collections by calories, by vegetarian, you can search by ingredient (like "Sweet potatoes" or "black beans"). Skinnytaste.com has some good recipes but they are much more meat centric.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    All of that sounds absolutely delicious right now, especially stir fry. Ugh, I love a good chicken stir fry. It feels like I'm always so hard up for time, so I feel like I never have time to make anything that isn't ready-to-eat :( I need to plan better, I suppose.

I have two young son's and make veggie stir fry ALL the time. I use brown rice (can make this the day before if you want). 1 lb bag of frozen veggies (the kids like california blend) of your choice. Put a tablespoon of either sesame oil or olive oil in a wok, stir fry your veggies for 5 minutes, for the sauce I use 1/4 soy sauce and about 1/4c hoisen sauce, and a another tbls of olive oil. Toss that in with veggies (you can also add chicken or pork). The veggie version is 250 calories per HALF of a pan. No that is NOT a misprint. For rice I usually make a 1/2 cup serving (thats about 180 calories for the kind I use).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I don't know what your budget is, but you cut the time for stir fry down tremendously by buying veggies already chopped. Either from the salad bar, if you grocery has one, or prepackaged. They cost quite a bit more this way though. Or spend one day chopping and keep a big bowl of chopped veggies in your fridge to use in stir fries, soups, omelets, etc.
  • ceh2433
    ceh2433 Posts: 35
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot? It basically cooks for you while you are at work. I suggest investing in a crock pot cook book as well, that way you don't burn things (like me). it maybe an easier way for you to make chicken or chilli?
  • NicoleG_86
    NicoleG_86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Amy's frozen burritos are one of my standby's. They are organic, and contain no meat products (you and I eat the same way it seems).

I have VERY minimal time to cook so ready prepared always works better for me as well. I take about an hour on Sunday evenings to prepare some stuff for the week. It makes a big difference.

Making your own soups work really well because you have multiple servings and they are easy to make and change up. Also, frozen edamame is fast and easy. Just boil and add seasoning or you can bake it with a little oil. Couscous is also fast, easy, and healthy.

Add some dry ranch seasoning to plain Greek yogurt to give you something to dip your veggies in. I buy vegetables whole and then chop them myself (on Sunday) to cut down on cost.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat cow?

Also, for chicken, this is what I eat:
    - Primavera
    - Pad Thai
    - Oven-baked chicken nuggets
    - Penne Alfredo with broccoli
    - Chow mein
    - Cordon Bleu
    - BBQ sandwich
    - Caesar wrap
    - Shawarma
    - Fajitas

There's a ton more but those are some of my persona favorites.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'll be keeping an eye on this thread...sounds like we pretty much like and dislike the same things (except for the pig part...I love bacon!!) I could use some new ideas myself.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options

I have two young son's and make veggie stir fry ALL the time. I use brown rice (can make this the day before if you want). 1 lb bag of frozen veggies (the kids like california blend) of your choice. Put a tablespoon of either sesame oil or olive oil in a wok, stir fry your veggies for 5 minutes, for the sauce I use 1/4 soy sauce and about 1/4c hoisen sauce, and a another tbls of olive oil. Toss that in with veggies (you can also add chicken or pork). The veggie version is 250 calories per HALF of a pan. No that is NOT a misprint. For rice I usually make a 1/2 cup serving (thats about 180 calories for the kind I use).

Yes this^ I like to use fresh veggies, but in a pinch these frozen veggies are a blessing and yummy.
  • turlykerd1
    turlykerd1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    my food is meh !

maybe they should meet up ?
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    And with the crock pot or even at home stir fry it is easy to freeze in meal size portions an take them to work instead of lean cuisines. Pita's are a good sub for the thin buns too. I use Joeseph stone ground wheat and oat ones and they are only 60 cal each. Great for mini pizzas or sandwiches
  • littletiger97
    littletiger97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Definitely start cooking for yourself. You'll be amazed at the endless options you have!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything I eat is chicken breast, frozen vegetables, some kind of sauce or marinade and pasta or rice.

Bake a pile of chicken on a day when you have time, then you can slice it up and add frozen veggies and saute it up.

Some favorites:

Chicken, lemon garlic marinade (I don't even marinade as per directions... I just heat it up with it), Italian blend veggies, some pasta (with a lot of veggies, you don't need as much pasta) and a sprinkle of Parmesan or Feta cheese on top. For extra yum and protein, stir in some plain Greek yogurt to make the sauce creamy.

Greek yogurt mixed with buffalo sauce is amazing, too. Low cal. High in sodium, but low cal.

Chicken, basil pesto, a little bit of alfredo sauce (or greek yogurt would probably work too), sundried tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms, pasta and a sprinkle of cheese.

Chicken, teriyaki marinade, Oriental blend veggies, brown rice, and a sprinkle of rice noodles for added crunch and texture.

And now I'm hungry... :laugh:
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Coat chicken with greek yogurt and then dust with spicy bread crumbs before baking -> Fried Chicken
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way at times so I decided to start looking up new recipes. Skinnytaste.com has been my go to place. I'm single and live with a roommate who is gone half of the week so I cook a meal and end up freezing 3/4 of it. Then I can grab a quick meal out of the freezer. I also meal plan and do a lot of the prep work on the weekends to make it easier for me.