Anyone Here Mentally Ill?

Options

Replies

• mtneerjk81
    mtneerjk81 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know this all too well. I used to think that people who claimed to have problems with anxiety and depression were just over-exaggerators. That was before it hit me like a ton of bricks a few years ago. In the matter of a day, my life changed. I went from nothing bothering me, to complete depression and anxiety issues. I couldn't eat, didn't sleep for nearly a week, didn't want to leave bed, and just generally refused to do anything that involved moving. I ended up losing about 45 lbs in the matter of a few weeks. The first medication that the doctor put me on had serious problems. I was having vivid dreams of killing myself and found myself constantly thinking about how I would kill myself if I wanted to. I even was looking through the kitchen for the best knife! Finally, the doctor figured out the correct concoction of medication and I've been doing well for over a couple years now!

Bottom line, anxiety, depression, or any mental condition is no joke. Those who try to be funny by posting comments poking fun at those who suffer from such disorders have no idea what it's like to deal with these issues. They think that they're being funny and guys especially think they're "being tough". Trust me, if the day comes when you have the deal with one of these disorders, you'll stop joking around immediately. I know I did!
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depression & Anxiety. I take Cymbalta regularly, but am looking to switch back to Celexa (longer half life). I have klonopin on hand for severe attacks, but they are exceptionally rare. Plain old hard work has kept me fully functional for years, with the assistance of medication. I really only suffer symptoms occasionally, especially when I sit down and think too much.
  • jeffazi
    jeffazi Posts: 198
    Options
    I used to suffer from moderate depression. I took Celexa and Wellbutrin but after reading Dr. Irving Kirsch's book (The Emperor's New Drugs) I was determined to get off all the anti-depression drugs. With a combination of diet, exercise and daily zazen I am now off the meds and symptom free.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Same here, Haven't been medicated for years due to lack of insurance. IDK what I'd do without my melatonin at night.

generic celexa at Target is $4 per month without insurance

I was on that in the past and it made me really sick. The only ssri that didn't was paxil. What I need is my Klonopin back. I just got on state insuranceand need to make an appointment. I just hope they don't want to start all over from the begining...AGAIN. MMPIs and all that. I'll have to see if I can get all my records from MN sent to OH to avoid all that.
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options
    Borderline Personality Disorder coupled with Rapid Cycling Bipolar II. It's a real f***ing picnic to be in my head.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with depression (well not really, my GP didn't mention the D word so I asked if I was and he said yes), don't know what type. I used to do those depression quizzes when I was a teenager and I'm probably bipolar. I have horrible mood swings, I'll be fine one minute and the I'll feel horrible the next. I've been prescribed Mirtazapine and have been taking it for two weeks now and I'm very worried about gaining weight, But I've been sticking to my MFP calorie goals and working out like mad (started a modified version of the 30 day shred) but I have gained a few pounds, I've been telling myself it's probably muscle though because thinking about it upsets me even further.

I'm so weird when it comes to eating, when I'm incredibly low I either don't want to eat anything, or I'll stuff my face (which is how I got to be the size I am today - good ol' emotional eating). I've had a couple of days where I didn't eat anything on my MFP journey, and a day when I binge ate like there was no tomorrow.

It's hard living with a mental illness, but you have to take it one day at a time.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I know this all too well. I used to think that people who claimed to have problems with anxiety and depression were just over-exaggerators. That was before it hit me like a ton of bricks a few years ago. In the matter of a day, my life changed. I went from nothing bothering me, to complete depression and anxiety issues. I couldn't eat, didn't sleep for nearly a week, didn't want to leave bed, and just generally refused to do anything that involved moving. I ended up losing about 45 lbs in the matter of a few weeks. The first medication that the doctor put me on had serious problems. I was having vivid dreams of killing myself and found myself constantly thinking about how I would kill myself if I wanted to. I even was looking through the kitchen for the best knife! Finally, the doctor figured out the correct concoction of medication and I've been doing well for over a couple years now!

Bottom line, anxiety, depression, or any mental condition is no joke. Those who try to be funny by posting comments poking fun at those who suffer from such disorders have no idea what it's like to deal with these issues. They think that they're being funny and guys especially think they're "being tough". Trust me, if the day comes when you have the deal with one of these disorders, you'll stop joking around immediately. I know I did!

AMEN!
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever been hospitalized?

Several times in high school, once as an adult. There's a kind of horrible permanence to mental illness. It can be managed but never really "goes away". I'm a pretty excellent blend of bi-polar II, PTSD, and generalized anxiety. The fact that it affects EVERYTHING is so hard to communicate. The dietary changes and exercise are helping a bit.

Things that irk me:
    NO, not everyone is bi-polar. There is a massive difference between occasionally feeling very sad, and occasionally feeling very happy or energetic to frequently or constantly feeling the extremes of both in an uncontrollable cycle.
    NO, you cannot "experiment" with anorexia.
    NO, I cannot just "snap out of it".
    Medication is not a sign of weakness.

Edit: I've been on so many different combinations of medications. Not everything works the same for everyone. The one that's currently working for me is: Welbutrin, Lamictal, and then Ativan and Trazadone prn.
  • Diary_Queen
    Diary_Queen Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have depression related to my current thyroid condition. I'm also the parent of a child that has ADHD and is bi-polar. :)

Friend me if you'd like!
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder

This.

Who diagnoses you with this? I have been told by so many people that It sounds like I have this, yet it has never been officiAL
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    It's a real f***ing picnic to be in my head.

This made me literally laugh out loud because I JUST said this to my bf the other day when he was saying "I wish I could understand what's going on in your head so that I can help you".
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder

This.

Who diagnoses you with this? I have been told by so many people that It sounds like I have this, yet it has never been officiAL

My psych "downgraded" my Anorexia diagnosis with this after I got my BMI up over 18. I feel this should have been my diagnosis all along.

According to wikipedia, there are issues with the diagnosis. Some people think it is over diagnosed, others think it often goes un-diagnosed unless it results in other disorders such as ED, or Social Anxiety, or Self Harm.
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression and some social anxiety. I've been medicated since 2009 and I'm a better person for it!!

On a side note, I have a brother with Bi-Polar disorder. Every Spring becomes very manic (so he's going through it now). He's 23, lives with my grandmother, doesn't work, smokes pot all day, and refuses to seek help or medicate himself. I worry about his well being... Any of you out there with Bi-Polar that DO NOT take medication? How do you get through the work day? Do you medicate with non prescription remedies? Any suggestions???
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options

This made me literally laugh out loud because I JUST said this to my bf the other day when he was saying "I wish I could understand what's going on in your head so that I can help you".

Hubby says that to me on a nearly daily basis. I appreciate him wanting to help, but honestly - he'd crack if he "understood" what's going on. Truth is, no one can understand unless they suffer too. IMO, anyway.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I work daily with all sorts of mental illness and I have one too. I'm really glad for this thread.
    I think I classify as dysthymic disorder...which is a mild, long lasting low mood. I never fit the bill for full on depression. But after years of never feeling right and several months of crying every morning for no good reason I got help. I tried therapy first, but I cried at every session and I'm sure my therapist was convinced I was more ill than I was. Heck she convinced me I was sooo sick I think that she wanted me admitted. I wasn't that sick I just couldn't stop crying at everything! Started on Celexa a year and a half ago and it was like the light came back on inside of me. The difference was night and day. I felt like me. The crying normalized (I still cry...but omg nothing like I used to). Now I am trying to stop my medication due to side effects. My doctor is on board with this. I'm scared of going back to the way I was. I'm hoping exercise will help and developing proper coping strategies. Today is day 2 of no meds.
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options

I'm glad you have someone sticking with you through it. :) My partner and I have been together for almost 11 years and he's seen the top, the bottom and the breakdown of the rollercoaster.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options

thank you. there is a time and place for jokes. its easy to make jokes when you aren't the one suffereing. goes for overweight people as well.
  • twinlaced
    twinlaced Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Lol, residual subtype schizophrenia. :s A little depression too but mostly just this.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

And I don't mean the type were people say "OMG< I am SO OCD about that!" (this gets on my nerves a bit at times, bc if most people knew how difficult it can be to live with OCD, they would not use that term.

I mean actually clinical OCD.....

It started as a teenager, and I managed myself fine, until about 2005 when I had a complete nervous breakdown and had to be hospitalized. At that point, the DR tried a couple of different medications, each of them made it worse and one actually made me delusional. I now, because of this, choose not to medicate with pills.

One of the things that bothers me most about OCD is that when I am not being confronted by a phobia (people with OCD have TONS of phobias in general), I understand and recognize my obsessions and compulsions are irrational, but when confronted with them, I seem to have no choice but to follow along.

At this time, I am coping alright, I see my DR every two weeks or so, and keep on top of everything I need to. The OCD is always there, but like most sufferers, I am good at hiding it when I need to, and just do what I need to to get through the day.....
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Agoraphobia, depression, anxiety, ptsd.