Does strength training burn no calories??

Options
Why don't we get any credit for calories burned during strength training? Does it really burn no calories to do crunches or push ups?

Replies

• adriany9
    adriany9 Posts: 32
    Options
    If you go to the cardio database and scroll down you'l see strength training click it and I think it registers calories burned
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure about this either, thanks!
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    like above,.... but ... you dont burn that many in comparison to cardio at all during strength training. but... muscle burns fat, so you should do it for sure!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yes it does but because we all use different weights its not easy to compute. Even a push up is different for everyone since we all weight a different amount.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    like above,.... but ... you dont burn that many in comparison to cardio at all during strength training. but... muscle burns fat, so you should do it for sure!

Strength training continues to burn calories hours after you are done. Cardio does not.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    good question, good answer! yay =)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you lift correctly you actually burn a lot of calories -- cardio is not your only friend
  • ejacree1010
    ejacree1010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know strength training burns calories but I was wondering the same thing as to why no credit was being issued.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My heart rate gets just as high repping weights as jogging on a treadmill. To say it doesn't burn as many calories is a myth
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    It may not burn many while you are doing it but will continue for a few hours later... and the more muscle the more calories burned period!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Why don't we get any credit for calories burned during strength training? Does it really burn no calories to do crunches or push ups?

You need to log your strength training as cardio to get exercise calories added to your daily diary if you want to use them for consumption. As others have stated, weight lifting burns a good amount of calories, and tends to keep on burning up to 48 hours after the session. Best advice I can give is to get yourself a good heart rate monitor that is configurable for your body, and have it calculate your calories that you are burning in a given weight session.

Greg
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    like everyone says, the long(er) term effects of weight training are great (longer muscle burn) but when I do weights (or pushups/pull ups/etc) I just log it under 'Cardio'...there's Weight Lifting/Weight Training there.
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    wow learn sumthing new everyday...i never wanted to do strength training b/c i figured id jus been making my fat toned and i want to lose not get hard fat lol

Sounds crazy...and i didnt kno it continues to burn even afterward.....
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I don't think the strength training shows calories burned? I have listed my workout for yesterday and yes it lists what you did but not calories burned?? Denise;)
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I know strength training burns calories but I was wondering the same thing as to why no credit was being issued.

Log the session as cardio - you'll see the calories added in your diary in MFP.

Greg
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    It does, but it varies so greatly from person to person that MFP can't accurately calculate. You can enter it under your cardio if you want to include the calories burned.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Depending on the person ... you can burn just as many calories weight training as cardio. I do and I track it by wearing a heart rate monitor. For me, I just log the exercise or work out routine under cardio by name and put my calories burned in from my heart rate monitor.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Oh, thanks for this, I didn't know there was weight training under cardio;) denise
    like everyone says, the long(er) term effects of weight training are great (longer muscle burn) but when I do weights (or pushups/pull ups/etc) I just log it under 'Cardio'...there's Weight Lifting/Weight Training there.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    The reason that strength training doesn't 'count' here is because there is no way to accurately judge. I may be lifting 10 to 20 pound dumbells while you may be lifting 45 - 50 pound bars, etc. and doing basically the same exercises, but burning different calories, etc. So they allow you to log it to track that you have done it, but they can't 'guess' at what you have actually burned... too many variables.
  • Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    bump