Secret to Weight Loss Article

Options
I read this article "Secret to Weight Loss" on cbsnews.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57411830-10391704/secret-to-weight-loss-isnt-through-fad-diets-or-pills-study-shows/

The first few lines are:

"Contrary to popular belief, the new study in the April 10 online issue of the American Journal of Preventative Medicine showed not only that obese Americans can and do lose weight, but that using the tried and true methods of eating less fat and exercising more are most effective."

I feel like the world let out a collective "DUH!"

Lol!

Even though this article is from the files of Captain Obvious, I guess some people need scientific proof that lifestyle changes and moving more are really better than the "magic" pills that are out there.

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think the world is still eagerly hunting something that doesn't require effort. It does boggle the mind that it becomes BIG NEWS whenever a 'study' is done on something that people have been saying for years.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i don't actually agree with that statement--eating less CALORIES yes, not necessarily less fat, is essential for weight loss.
  • CynthiaCollin
    CynthiaCollin Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with you ! People ask me constantly how I lost my weight..... it is like they are waiting for some magic answer. When I say I count my calories and exercise, they seem disappointed. Nothing good in life comes easy....you want to be healthy, you have to eat healthy and exercise. Your body is your temple...."You are what you eat" ..... You want to be a healthy weight.... you got to eat right and get that body moving.

Thanks for the article....definitely going to read it :)
  • turlykerd1
    turlykerd1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wonder how much funding this study received ?
  • watsonsc
    watsonsc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from. I read more about the study and the article does go on to specify more about how eating less calories (not just necessarily just less fat) is more effective than trying to do some of the fad diets. Some fat is good in a diet, but for some people they do need to cut out significant fats (trans, saturated, etc) to become healthy.
  • watsonsc
    watsonsc Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I agree with you ! People ask me constantly how I lost my weight..... it is like they are waiting for some magic answer. When I say I count my calories and exercise, they seem disappointed. Nothing good in life comes easy....you want to be healthy, you have to eat healthy and exercise. Your body is your temple...."You are what you eat" ..... You want to be a healthy weight.... you got to eat right and get that body moving.

Thanks for the article....definitely going to read it :)

YES! that happens to me all of the time! I tell people how I lost weight: logging on MFP, and how I'm exercising more, eating better, and they still look at me waiting for the "real" or some "special" trick I did.

It's simple eat less move more. And even thought its simple it is NOT easy and that's probably why people are still looking for an easier and quicker way to get healthy.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ah the good ol "whats you secret?" where I reply "the secret is working out and eating right"...insert contorted face here,.
  • greeneyes191
    greeneyes191 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We have become a society that wants to sit back and have things given to us. We want the easy way. Cut it off, suck it out, give me a pill to make it go away - ain't happenin'.
    Think about how many things you can do from a sitting position that you couldn't do before. About the only thing that has done an about-face is pumping your own gas.
    You don't have to get up to change the TV channel or fix the rabbit ears. You don't have to go into a restaurant to get food. You don't have to go into the bank to deposit or withdraw money. You don't have to go to the post office to send someone a note or card or message. You don't have to get up from your desk to retrieve something from the printer or fax something.
    Heck, if you really wanted to, you'd never have to leave your chair. You can order, food, clothing, furniture - just about anything online.
    C'mon peeps - turn off the computer and TV and get off your butts and go outside and get some sunshine and fresh air. I bet most of us know very few people in our neighborhood or even know what's going on in our neighborhood.
    You don't have to run a marathon. Just start by walking around the block. You will be surprised how much you will enjoy it and miss it when you don't get some exercise every day.