Pill that increases metabolism and calorie burn

Options
2»

Replies

• isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm Asian as well (South-East), the same height, and once upon a time was about 102 pounds. I was not fat, but was not fit at that weight either, and not super skinny. At my fittest, I was about 112 pounds. I understand where you're coming from. The answer though is to eat MORE not less, as counterintuitive as that might seem, eat lots of good, lean protein, and build muscles. Check the fitness forum out for ideas on starting a weight lifting program. It will NOT make you look overmuscled and bulky, but you will lose the flab.

OH FINALLY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS! A lot of people on MFP assume that I'm borderline underweight/have an eating disorder once they know my goal weight and my stats -_- I am eating clean and trying to net at least 1200 cals a day (though this is still low, but I AM trying as I see the importance of eating more). But it's so hard sometimes hahaha.

I am lifting weights but I do 40 minute intervals on the treadmill as well!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I'm Asian as well (South-East), the same height, and once upon a time was about 102 pounds. I was not fat, but was not fit at that weight either, and not super skinny. At my fittest, I was about 112 pounds. I understand where you're coming from. The answer though is to eat MORE not less, as counterintuitive as that might seem, eat lots of good, lean protein, and build muscles. Check the fitness forum out for ideas on starting a weight lifting program. It will NOT make you look overmuscled and bulky, but you will lose the flab.

This. Putting on more muscle will cause you to burn more throughout the day as well. Drop the pills, up the calories, and hit the weights!
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Pills are not going to help you lose fat. I think your best best is to strength train. MUSCLE BURNS FAT!!! That is the best idea, and will save you the side effects of those "not good for you" supplements. They are just trying to make money, and will NOT make you lose weight. I agree with other poster, coffee would have a better effect, but WEIGHT training is the best idea to lose fat...
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've tried a variety of thermogenics and all of them have made my heart race, or I've gotten too hot for my own comfort, or I had crazy other side effects.

I use something now- that hasnt given me any side effects, increased my energy, its got all natural stuff. Much better now :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I love taking thermogenics. I have watched what my heartrate is with and without them, calories burned on and off, and there is a big enough difference for me to keep taking them.

I don't know why someone would say GNC is crap. Sure, not all of their supplements are amazing, but the great thing about GNC is take you can return them within 30 days if they don't work for you, even if opened or nothing but an empty bottle...

Ones I have tried with success is OxyElite Pro and Lipo 6 for Her.
  • pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    If anything you would purchase worked....wouldn't everyone be skinny....just my thinking.....
  • isazzzz
    isazzzz Posts: 95
    Options
    I love taking thermogenics. I have watched what my heartrate is with and without them, calories burned on and off, and there is a big enough difference for me to keep taking them.

I don't know why someone would say GNC is crap. Sure, not all of their supplements are amazing, but the great thing about GNC is take you can return them within 30 days if they don't work for you, even if opened or nothing but an empty bottle...

Ones I have tried with success is OxyElite Pro and Lipo 6 for Her.

Exactly. Thermogenics aren't exactly diet pills because you need to exercise and eat clean in order for them to work! Normal diet pills promise weight loss without exercising and allowing you to eat anything you want - this isn't healthy. As long as I am eating right and working out, I don't see why thermogenics are a 'bad' way to burn fat. It's just an aid afterall.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There are no shortcuts in life. Remember that at the end of the day, what you want is to be healthy at whatever weight you choose to be. A LOT of so-called 'weight loss' supplements (metabolism boosters included) do not have any long-term studies on their efficacy, or effect on health. We already know the way to lose fat and gain muscle safely. There really is no reason to deviate from the tried and true.
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    There are no shortcuts in life. Remember that at the end of the day, what you want is to be healthy at whatever weight you choose to be. A LOT of so-called 'weight loss' supplements (metabolism boosters included) do not have any long-term studies on their efficacy, or effect on health. We already know the way to lose fat and gain muscle safely. There really is no reason to deviate from the tried and true.
    Totally agree with this!!!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to realize that what your issue is has nothing to do with the number on the scale, but rather your body composition. I'm far from an expert, but from what I understand, if your goal is to build muscle, you need to up your calorie intake beyond what it would be for typical weight-loss dieting. I assume you have your goal set to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week. Try changing it to maintenance, or to lose .5 a week, and err on the side of more weight training than cardio. You shouldn't need pills that increase your calorie burn, since that isn't your primary goal. If anything, look into protein supplements, or just make sure your diet is protein heavy (at the very least, shoot for more than MFP suggests), as protein helps build muscle. Build muscle-->Burn fat.
  • shodaimetruth
    Options
    I am taking oxyelite pro and have some good fat loss over the past 3 weeks i have been doing it. However, what I have noticed from all that I have read is that it's usually used for people who have a lot of fat to lose or people who have those last 5-10 lbs. Those 5-10 pounders are people who have 300 max bench and 400 max squats. the big people with veins on top of veins. I fall in the high fat category with 29%, coming down from 37%.

I would have to agree with the other people on their opinions regarding the skinny fat. I have switched over from weight training to doing primarily cardio (kickboxing, insanity and running) and have noticed that I have lost the tighter more toned feeling that I had when I was doing the weights. My suggestion would be to focus on some compound weight training after some cardio. Don't say "i don't want to get big, that's why I don't want to workout with weights." because that is not something so easily done or everyone would be huge from just lifting a little bit of weights.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to realize that what your issue is has nothing to do with the number on the scale, but rather your body composition. I'm far from an expert, but from what I understand, if your goal is to build muscle, you need to up your calorie intake beyond what it would be for typical weight-loss dieting. I assume you have your goal set to lose 1 or 2 pounds per week. Try changing it to maintenance, or to lose .5 a week, and err on the side of more weight training than cardio. You shouldn't need pills that increase your calorie burn, since that isn't your primary goal. If anything, look into protein supplements, or just make sure your diet is protein heavy (at the very least, shoot for more than MFP suggests), as protein helps build muscle. Build muscle-->Burn fat.

This.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    We had those back in the 60's, except we didn't have a fancy name for them. We just called them speed.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    EC stack has been studied quite a bit and the most effective supplement in a fatloss regime. /thread