Anyone Here Mentally Ill?

Options

Replies

• Yahalla
    Yahalla Posts: 7
    Options
    What is "normal" anyway? In polling many of my close friends, most suffer from one form of mental illness or another. Some are dx with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, some with Bi-Polar Disorder, some with Depression, some with Anxiety. It was the exception, rather than the rule that a person I spoke with about this topic was unmedicated, undiagnosed and had never suffered from any "mental" issues. So...what is NORMAL? It seems that the majority are "abnormal" so those who are normal are actually the minority...so perhaps being abnormal is actually normal, and those other people are the ones with the problem. :)

I empathize with those of you suffering. I will think about you and hope that you can find your peace. It is an individual road with individual obstacles. I hope you can find the key to your personal happiness. Good luck on your journey to find health and happiness. HUGS!!
  • lyssamichelle
    lyssamichelle Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Bipolar, Anxiety, ADHD, I kind of forgot what I was typing not gonna lie.
    There's a pretty long list though. No medication.
    It kept me from staying in school & I can't get a job because of it.
    The medications I was on in the past always make things worse.
    I have noticed when not drinking soda & eating junk food I focus a little & I'm not as anxious. So maybe, just maybe.. when I get my meals total healthy I'll be fine. Ha. I have a small problem of eating when I get to "down" & then eating when I want to make myself feel like ****.. My therapist never really seemed to acknowledge that though.
  • chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have cyclothymia and an anxiety disorder. It got better when I started exercising and eating right ... I am still on medication, but I am doing much better.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I have bouts with depression... very minor compared to what I've seen in some people. I try to go to the gym every morning... the daily exercise seems to help. The other thing I do is I love to go hiking. Even if it's just a walk in the woods, it really seems to get me out of myself for a little while. And the fresh air doesn't hurt.

I think it's really great that you brought this up too. I think if people talked about it more, there would be less of a stigma associated with it. And getting something out in the open is probably the first step in making it better.

^This

Went through a very dark time in my life with depression...moving to a warmer climate where I can get outside and get sunlight helped alot, although I did go through therapy & meds too. My dad has always had issues with depression and he recently got a SAD lamp and that helps. Being aware of it and learning my triggers helps ALOT. And also keeping in mind that "everybody has issues," depression is one of mine, it is manageable, and I shouldn't dwell on feeling sorry for myself and live in fear of it.

I feel for you. :flowerforyou:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    accepting that you have an illness does not mean that you do not have an identity.

Looking for labels and adapted medications doesn't mean the mighty answer reside underneath neither :drinker:
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

And BTW, I hate Monk.
    [/quote]

I LOVE Monk......I have seen every single episode.....just sayin.....
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I dated a girl with Disassociate Identity. It took about 2 months for me to figure out what was going on.
    Once it was out in the open, it was slightly easier to deal with, for both of us.

I get waves of anxiety. Like 2 or 3 times a year for a couple weeks at a time. Overwhelming and crippling. As quickly as it comes on, it goes away. I know I'm lucky compared to chronic anxiety sufferers.
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options
    I think medics are nothing but a crutch

Yes, medication is a crutch - one that has kept some of us alive. Without that crutch I likely would have turned my brain matter into a giant red Rorschach test on the wall behind me.
  • ashielovesdashie88
    Options
    GAD, Depression, Bulimia (formerly for 11 years, i stopped then gained about 70lbs due to meds and obviously not throwing up everything i eat) Socialized Anxiety Disorder and EXTREME paranoia. When i walk in a room i feel like everyone is looking and judging and talking about me.i can't even breathe without the fear of being ridiculed.

Was on meds and i attribute a lot of my weight gain to that and my inability to stop eating everything in my freaking fridge/lack of self control. No longer taking anything. Just adjusted to a low carb lifestyle and exercise instead of eating everything in sight.
  • AnthroRebel
    AnthroRebel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lived with clinical depression, GAD, and Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, complicated by ADD since teen years. On medication for 20 years. Years of cognitive behavioral therapy paid off. In 2009, my therapist told me I was ready to stop therapy. Wasn't "cured" but had the mechanisms and tools to deal with life. About a year and a half ago, I had to stop taking meds because of no insurance. Actually I found that I was okay without them now.

And despite being unemployed and dealing with my weight, I am still pretty ok. The biggest problems I have with my mental health and my weight is the OCD and ADD. I am not at the OCD levels of "Monk" but it does manifest itself. Still haven't developed the mental tool to control the obsessive/compulsive drives about food yet.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    accepting that you have an illness does not mean that you do not have an identity.

Looking for labels and adapted medications doesn't mean the mighty answer reside underneath neither :drinker:

how is getting help looking for a label? you dont just pop up at a hospital and check a box that says "call me bipolar!"

the whole antipsychiatry thing amazes me. do you tell people who need insulin that they are using it as a crutch?
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options
    Well seems that the label I most fit it. I just fit less in maniac, depressed, anxious, etc...
    Not to mention old anorexia, current OCD, orthorexia, call it what you want; The more time I try to put a word on *it* (so medical word tries) the more time you lose focusing on what matters : be yourself and accept the fact there are things that would never change.

i understand what you mean. you are saying that we shouldn't trouble ourselves over our diseases, and just live our lives.

thats not so easy when you are seeing demons and cockroaches all over your walls and hearing radios in your head while you are trying to sleep.

having a mental illness means that you are ill. it IS a big deal, it DOES matter whether or not you are diagnosed correctly, especially since untreated bipolar disordered people have a 20% suicide rate. higher than that of clinical depression.

im sorry im just a little miffed about people saying, you are who you are, dont worry about labels. the label isnt whats screwing my life up. the illness is.

I feel you, I spare you the whole pathos I've been through. I just noticed that I lost 23 years trying to be fixed, HOPING to be fixed actually. And well, I may have tried lotta stuff, overthought for months the issue, looking for any kind of answer , no matter the medium. But what keeps kicking is that relying on benzo (or no matter what, there are kilotons) make you looping, always and always. A friend of mine tried it the hard way (brain shocks, as in Requiem for a dream) - since she relied on that, (so many when they accept the fact medics will help) it worked a a placebo for months, but she's still the same after years, so I am
  • ashielovesdashie88
    Options
    What is "normal" anyway? In polling many of my close friends, most suffer from one form of mental illness or another. Some are dx with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, some with Bi-Polar Disorder, some with Depression, some with Anxiety. It was the exception, rather than the rule that a person I spoke with about this topic was unmedicated, undiagnosed and had never suffered from any "mental" issues. So...what is NORMAL? It seems that the majority are "abnormal" so those who are normal are actually the minority...so perhaps being abnormal is actually normal, and those other people are the ones with the problem. :)

I empathize with those of you suffering. I will think about you and hope that you can find your peace. It is an individual road with individual obstacles. I hope you can find the key to your personal happiness. Good luck on your journey to find health and happiness. HUGS!!
    i agree wholeheartedly. Normal is a setting on a dishwasher or wash machine, not a way to describe ourselves. What is normal to one person may not be to another and so on and so forth. I like being Abnormal, makes it fun when people think i'm actually "normal"
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

how is getting help looking for a label? you dont just pop up at a hospital and check a box that says "call me bipolar!"

the whole antipsychiatry thing amazes me. do you tell people who need insulin that they are using it as a crutch?

I might if research showed that insulin and a placebo had the same effect, yeah. Many antidepressants on the market today are no more effective than placebos.
  • Axels91
    Options
    I think medics are nothing but a crutch

Yes, medication is a crutch - one that has kept some of us alive. Without that crutch I likely would have turned my brain matter into a giant red Rorschach test on the wall behind me.

THANK YOU

its important that people know what they are talking about before spouting nonsense. people are so quick to jump on the antipsychiatry bandwagon without actually looking at how these drugs have saved people's lives.
  • siddyb75
    siddyb75 Posts: 5
    Options
    Depression and social anxiety pretty much ever since I can remember. I take 150 of Wellbutrin and Zoloft (generic). I very quickly gained 50 pounds after I began taking the Zoloft which I am still trying to get off. My Dr. acted like I was stupid when I asked if that could be at least the possible cause in my weight gain...obviously I had to be eating like a fat pig right!? And I wasn't eating any more than I ever did. Both conditions are now better, though I am still shy and don't have many friends...I'm just more comfortable spending time alone or with my cat ;)
  • freenewme
    freenewme Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Major depression
    anxity
    Ednos
    Ptsd
    Ocd (or cdo depending on the day lol)
    Borderline personality disorder

I think thats it.
  • Axels91
    Options

I might if research showed that insulin and a placebo had the same effect, yeah. Many antidepressants on the market today are no more effective than placebos.

http://www.docguide.com/intranasal-insulin-safe-effective-against-placebo-normalising-blood-glucose-type-2-diabetics-present

" Intranasal insulin is safe, well absorbed and was effective in normalising blood glucose compared with placebo in patients with type 2 diabetes, according to findings presented for the first time at the 19th Annual Meeting and Clinical Congress of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE)."
  • PercivalHackworth
    Options

Psychiatry didn't work neither. I'm not against it, some work their way through it...some NEED it actually, as far as I'm concerned (since I participated, and i'm "here mentally ill") psychiatry is also a medium. But are you talking about psychiatry, or psychoanalysis, or psychology ?
  • lightweight9973
    Options
    I'm anorexic, bulimic, bipolar and level 4 depression