Water Retention?

Options
To give a quick background, I started on here at 95kg a little over 2 weeks ago. My goal weight is 80kg (to begin with at least). I have been under my calorie limit every day, which is set at 1350, and was really happy on Friday morning to find I was down to 91.5kg. Monday morning however...back up to 94kg! I just don't understand it. Yes I ate more on Easter but I didn't indulge or go over my limit (inc exercise).

My friend suggests this might be water retention since I didn't eat nearly enough to gain that much weight in a day. How long does that take to go away? And does anyone have any idea why I would gain quite so much in so little time? It's very disheartening to see because I feel like my progress just disappeared overnight.

Help would be appreciated! :grumble:

Replies

• sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about water retention but I was always told that true weight loss or weight gain takes one week to show on the scale. So if you really did eat a lot of calories on Easter (enough to gain any actual weight), it would not show until next week. Also, if you are a female (Im sorry but your name is non-descript), I would suggest that water retention could be tied to your monthly cycle. However, if you are male (I apologize for the previous sentence) and would suggest to give it a week to see if it really is water retention.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Likely you didn't drink enough water and all the Easter foods tend to be high sodium! Try flushing it out this week with lots of water! I know I could feel iit when I got up yesterday but I drank maybe 160 oz ( I normally drink at least 100) of water and feel better today.
    Fluctuations happen- I weigh every Monday and then maybe Thursday no more then that!
  • carol5k
    carol5k Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    my doctor once told me if u see a significant gain overnight it is due to fluid....especially if u know that u did not eat enough to cause the weight gain...
  • moerketid
    moerketid Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I dont know much about water retention but I was always told that true weight loss or weight gain takes one week to show on the scale. So if you really did eat a lot of calories on Easter (enough to gain any actual weight), it would not show until next week. Also, if you are a female (Im sorry but your name is non-descript), I would suggest that water retention could be tied to your monthly cycle. However, if you are male (I apologize for the previous sentence) and would suggest to give it a week to see if it really is water retention.

Sorry, my profile states female. :)

I don't have a monthly cycle at the moment due to being on the depo provera injection, which stopped my periods entirely. I think my body might go through the changes sometime but there's no real evidence of it to me!

So I guess it's likely water retention possibly due to the sodium...how long will this take to go away again? >_>