Spaghetti Squash

Options
So....just decided to try spaghetti squash...I can't believe I have been missing out! It was delicious! I mixed it up with some EVOO, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese. So good!!

I was just wondering what you do with spaghetti squash since it looks like it has made its place on my food menu!

Replies

• AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I just use it as a spaghetti substitute when I'm craving something nuttier and then just use a marinara sauce with meat added.
  • fabwoman
    fabwoman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yummy. Ive made it with ground turkey, and spaghetti sauce. I add pepper, powdered parmasan, and tapatillo for a kick. its awesome, I can get it to be around 200 cal. I was thinking of making kungpao chicken this week. Nate Berkus had a good recipe last week that seemed good to try. Also thought of mixing in a little butter and salt and pepper to make sort of like a hashbrown for breakfast....... im getting hungry!!!! HAVE FUN.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the stuff. We eat it instead of regular pasta. Cook it up with some home made sauce. MMMMMM! Just picked up 3 more at the grocery store yesterday.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    bump
  • ValMae
    ValMae Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love to make a bake out of it with diced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, olives, garlic, spinach, and onions. No actual tomato sauce, but all the juice from the diced tomatoes add plenty of moisture without making it too similar to spaghetti.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti Squash 'n Shrimp Arrabbiata - YUUUMMMM!!!!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2231

PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 1 1/3 cups squash with 1 heaping cup shrimp and sauce): 243 calories, 2g fat, 838mg sodium, 37g carbs, 8.5g fiber, 15g sugars, 21g protein -- PointsPlus® value 6*

Ingredients:
    1 spaghetti squash (about 4 1/2 lb.)
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 tsp. chopped garlic
    1 tsp. red pepper flakes, or more to taste
    One 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes (about 3 cups)
    1 tsp. Italian seasoning
    12 oz. raw medium shrimp, peeled, tails removed, deveined
    1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
    1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Microwave whole squash for 3 - 4 minutes, until soft enough to cut. Halve lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Fill a large baking pan with 1/2 inch water and place squash halves in the pan, cut sides down. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes.

About 20 minutes before squash is done baking, bring a medium pot sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir until onion has softened and slightly browned, about 5 minutes.

Add tomatoes and Italian seasoning to the pot. Cook and stir until hot, 1 - 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium low. Add shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes, until cooked through.

Remove pot from heat, stir in basil, and cover to keep warm.

Scrape out squash strands with a fork, and transfer to a strainer to drain excess moisture. Pat dry, if needed. Transfer to a large bowl and season with salt and black pepper.

Top each serving of squash (about 1 1/3 cups) with 1/4th of the saucy shrimp mixture (1 heaping cup). Dig in!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I roast a spaghetti squash or two every weekend for quick prep later on in the week. While the squash is roasting, I saute about 2lbs of ground beef with garlic and onion. I put both in the fridge. After work I'll toss some of the squash and some veggies (usually a frozen stir fry mix) in a pan with some coconut oil. Once the squash starts to carmelize in the pan, I add half of the ground beef and mix it in. I let it cook another 5-10 minutes until the meat has warmed up. Delicious! So many easy variations too. My bf calls it "hamburger helper" as we don't eat pasta.

I also like it with some rosemary and onion sauteed into like, a breakfast "hash". Sometimes I have the patience to form the squash into patties, sometimes I just throw it all in the pan.

And of course I am also a fan of spaghetti squash + meat sauce, spaghetti squash + chili, spaghetti squash with olive oil or pesto. Yep! Now I'm hungry :D
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a vegetarian I make pulled squash sandwiches. Roast the Spaghetti squash with BBQ sauce and eat it on a bun.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    looks like i need to get me some spaghetti squash STAT!

and where is the LIKE button haha!?
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Is it not the best! All I use for spaghetti
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    any place I would use pasta, I will substitute spaghetti squash. It's also really good with just a little bit of butter, salt, pepper and romano/parmesan cheese blend.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm so gonna try this. My husband has joined me this health journey and yesterday he was trying not to pack white pasta for Lunch. I will get some on next grocery trip. Thanks for post.
  • WatchMomRun
    Options
    Since I'm a vegetarian I make pulled squash sandwiches. Roast the Spaghetti squash with BBQ sauce and eat it on a bun.

Oh, I really like this idea
    Thanks for the idea :)
  • aimeezingone
    aimeezingone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just bought some spaghetti squash yesterday......gonna be a first for me also :)
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Add some roasted tomatoes and sauteed onions to the mix you made. It's superb. And because of the small amount of parm you use, it tastes soooo buttery, but doesn't include the calories! I fell in love with spaghetti squash because of this recipe :heart:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have a Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash on my blog with recipe details and cooking instructions.

http://toneandgroan.wordpress.com/its-all-about-the-food-baby/
  • SweetNaughtyLips
    SweetNaughtyLips Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love Spaghetti Squash!

I use mine like a lot of others, in place of spaghetti pasta, but some of these recipes that others have shared are making it to my kitchen very soon :-)

9821387.png
  • MrsStansell
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear it's good! I just bought one!

20510688.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    We saw this at the store and have been wanting to try.