do you party?

Options
such a general question, but really, how many of you guys go hard?
I find that this is my biggest problem, living the unhealthy lifestyle of drinking, smoking etc.
I need the motivation to just give it up, and decide "okay, this is it, i'm throwing all this aside and i'm going to be healthy!"

has any one struggled with this? how did you cope?

Replies

• alicialiken
    alicialiken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Being 24 and 2 years out of college, I can still say I party. In college though, it was 3-4 times a week drinking. Like drinking until I can't remember (blacking out). Very unhealthy, little exercise and I put on about 15 pounds throughout my 4 years.

Now, I do not drink at all during the week. I'll go out 1 night on the weekend but I drink in semi-moderation (3 to 4 drinks). I stay away from hard liquor & try to avoid beer if possible. The headaches and losing a day (hangover) aren't worth it anymore!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I usually only "party" about once a week. Its usually a concert with a few drinks or I'll go to the bar with a friend after work. That's about as crazy as I get. I try to keep my alcohol drinks to once per week and not to get drunk. I don't really enjoy being drunk anymore. It almost makes me feel shameful.
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    You say you need motivation to just give it up, etc. I don't think this is the way to go, personally.

I allow myself a party night or 2 every week, because it's fun. Just because you are trying to be healthier doesn't mean you have to cut out things you enjoy. If I want to get wasted, I get wasted :). (I don't really condone the smoking however, that's not good at all)

Just work out, eat right, and be positive about it. (Just try not to eat junk food while drinking! that's always my problem). My macros and exercise allow me to get sloppy on the weekends.
  • tara7302011
    tara7302011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I hadn't drank in months, but this Easter weekend, I really wanted to relax and have a few beers.. So I did.. I drank that budweiser 55, but the next day I could feel the water retention. I feel the same way about smoking. I want to run and feel free from those stupid things, but its just going to be another hard life change... right now, I am working on my weight till I feel like I have a grip on things and then I will try to quit smoking................again........... =0 Good luck:tongue:
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I don't really enjoy being drunk anymore. It almost makes me feel shameful.

That's what I feel like after a night where I got drunk. :ohwell:

I go out with my husband every Friday night to a happy hour at a local restaurant. It's part business meeting part relaxation. I will admit that I tend to over do it but I'm also a light weight when it comes to drinking so really two drinks -- wine or martini's -- and I'm buzzing. Forget it if there's shots going around.

I really do hate the way I feel the next day if I over did it the night before and sometimes I just lay in bed and think "Oh lord I did THAT?!" (it's worse when my husband recaps the night and tells me things that I did and the memories come back in bits and pieces. :blushing: )
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I only smoke when I'm drinking,
    and the next day if i'm really hungover I find my stomach is a bottomless pit :\
  • jjennyb4
    jjennyb4 Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I don't usually drink.... maybe a few times a year but I do smoke on a daily basis. The night smoking leads to snaking which makes it difficult but not if I keep only good foods at home.
  • gmctech
    gmctech Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey there.... I work really hard and work in extremely remote parts of North America, so when I get home I PARTY HARD! It sure as heck does not help to have most of my friends in the same scenario as me, and i DO NOT get hangovers... I am an animal for a good time and you will rarely hear me say no to gearing up and heading out for some serious fun... Hmmm sort of makes sense that i am single huh... LoL Oh and I will surely be found lighting up a Cuban cigar evey now and then too when i have maxed out my fun factor! :P
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    I used to party hard. I was a severe alcoholic from the age of 12-18 and then a heroin addict for a year. It may not be exactly the same type of partying that you are talking about but all are unhealthy for you. I am just saying that drinking and smoking is a very hard habit to kick but it can be done. If you party a lot and think that it may be an addiction then I would suggest a support group, I don't attend one but it would be easier if you are still surrounding yourself with the same friends.
    Just really think about what you want, and why you want it and if drinking is not something that you do then just work on it "one day at a time" lol. I know that it sounds cheesy but when you have years of blacking out then you need something to get you through and that thought was the only way that I made it:) Now I do not drink alcohol, do drugs, do not smoke anymore, it will be 3 years in July. I have not drank pop in a year and rarely binge eat. All of my accomplishments took years of hard work.
    You can do it if its something that you really want.
  • JDthe3rd
    JDthe3rd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing... I drink hard probably 2 nights a week, sometimes 3. I feel like alcohol is incorporated in almost every social event i'm at. Since i've gotten on this site and have been making a conscious effort to be healthier, I'm basically just trying to plan my eating around my drinking. Nights when I know i'm going to be going out (mostly fri and sat), i eat as healthy and little as possible... this way, you have calories saved up and it also takes less to get you drunk. Probably not the best answer to your question, but it's a give/take.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    At my age (50) I don't really refer to my partying as partying. But yes, I drink. Daily, though not a lot every day. But on the weekends I might knock back a couple bottles of wine. It didn't stop me from losing. It's really avoiding the drunk junk munchies that makes the difference.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've recently cut the hard drinking down to once a week and it still messes me up so bad especially after all the hard work I've done during the week. I'm going to try to lay off of it until MDW (my goal to lose 20lb...Lord help me)...but I say that every week.

I found that the last time I lost a crapload of weight I didn't touch a bit of alcohol and was able to maintain later on when i DID drink...I wish I can go back to that time!
  • mommy4joey
    Options
    I stick with partying once a week, but still may have a beer or two during the week. On the party hard day, I do a real good workout in the morning so I feel less guilty, but well unhealthy is unhealthy. LOL I also smoke, terribly unhealthy, couldnt tell you how to kick that habit. Im struggling!
  • JDthe3rd
    JDthe3rd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cutting out drinking altogether obviously would make a huge difference, but the two times in my life when i lost 20+ lbs. each time, i still drank 3-4 times a week. I just NEVER drank beer and would always stick to the healthier alcohols (vodka/club soda, captain/diet coke, etc). Not sure if I could still have such productivity now that i'm older (and the last time i did that was 3 years ago), but I think it all comes down to the balance in your diet around the drinking
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I"m so guilty of "partying" :frown:

If I know I'm going out, I budget calories all day, sometimes the day before, so I don't go way over on alcohol and snacks.

And if I have a day with lots of extra left-over calories, I usually think, "YAY I can have a beer/glass of wine" instead of having some healthy snack.

Part of my work here is to develop healthier behaviors.
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    I am biker that belongs to a club. Yes I party hard however I have cut back on the beer but still keep up on almost the weekends. No matter what I am back in the gym the next day and run my case off as soon as possible
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    dont do crack without heroin.

but yes, i party, but if u mean "party" as in smoke weed or lines of coke... no i dont go that hard hahaha.

i work in the club scene every single weekend... alcohol is always consumed.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You say you need motivation to just give it up, etc. I don't think this is the way to go, personally.

I allow myself a party night or 2 every week, because it's fun. Just because you are trying to be healthier doesn't mean you have to cut out things you enjoy. If I want to get wasted, I get wasted :). (I don't really condone the smoking however, that's not good at all)

Just work out, eat right, and be positive about it. (Just try not to eat junk food while drinking! that's always my problem). My macros and exercise allow me to get sloppy on the weekends.

I'm in this same boat :) to a tee

No smoking but I do drink and i drink hard -- whiskeyyyy
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    I drink a few weekends a month and a couple beers in between.

I just plan my spike days for the weeknds that I know I'm gonna drink alot.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same thing... I drink hard probably 2 nights a week, sometimes 3. I feel like alcohol is incorporated in almost every social event i'm at. Since i've gotten on this site and have been making a conscious effort to be healthier, I'm basically just trying to plan my eating around my drinking. Nights when I know i'm going to be going out (mostly fri and sat), i eat as healthy and little as possible... this way, you have calories saved up and it also takes less to get you drunk. Probably not the best answer to your question, but it's a give/take.

Guilty -- buahahha!