Does anyone else catch colds/flu when they up their exercise

Options
Hello

Bit of a weird topic, but thought I'd start it anyway!

The last couple of times that I've decided to really go for it exercise wise I've ended up catching a cold by the time I get to the 3rd or 4th day! I tried last year to start exercising every day then I tried again last week.

I don't really understand why i get the cold now - wonder if exercise every day runs my immune system down? I do no more exercise than an hour each day, and I have a varied diet with fresh foods. I usually exercise every other day too so its not like exercise is brand new for me either.

I haven't had a cold for about a year, I was doing well. It's very frustrating to get that burst of motivation and then have to stop and wait for the cold to pass!!

Wonder if anyone else has had this? Wonder if I need to do something differently or just keep trying.

X

Replies

• bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    That's where I am today. I have no clue if it has anything to do with exercise, I wouldn't think so. But I do think this (cold/flu?) has a lot of nerve getting into my body with all the fruits and veggies I have been eating!! :laugh:
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a weird coincidence, but I caught a cold after upping my exercise last week. I started doing the 30DS in the mornings and my regular exercises in the evenings. The change was minor, but I've been sick since Saturday. Maybe my body was worn out, maybe I caught a bug from my fiance or co-workers. I'm just taking it easy for a few days and hoping to pick up where I left off soon :)

Feel better.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Where are you exercising? One of the reasons I avoid gyms like the plague is that they're an ideal place to pick up colds & the flu (I haven't seen any studies but I reckon they're probably even less healthy than an airplane).

The other factor that comes into play is that there is a link between moderate exercise and improved immune response but paradoxically more strenuous exercise (long runs) has the opposite effect (it is believed to temporarily impair immune function)
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep, me. It's a sign, I think, that I'm working my body too hard and I need to take more rest days. If I go more than 8 or so days with no rest day, I'll start feeling run-down and get sick. I tend to work too hard - I love exercising :)