What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    pffft, I AM a fat runner, and I think it's awesome that I CAN run now! In fact seeing as we have more weight to propel forward, it could be said that we work harder :wink:

And because I love running so much, I love seeing other runners, nomatter what size or speed. Just keep going!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I strongly disagree with the crying about knees and injuries - be careful, don't overdo it and make sure you have good shoes....My knees were complete crap when i started running at 227lbs - and they are now stronger than ever....

Also, please don't patronise overweight runners by telling them "good job" or something...if you say that to every runner you see, fat or thin - fine....
    BUT do not make an exception of the bigger runners!!:angry: That's almost as bad as saying something nasty to them....
  • Ptyson4
    Ptyson4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think it says more about those people and how they feel about themselves, than what is real about overweight runners. All of the responses here seem to be positive, with good cautions. We are all here to get fit and feel better.

Those people who put others down are trying to feel better about themselves, period. You know the type, making fun of everyone to prop themselves up. If you can put it in that perspective, then it really doesn't matter what they say or think. It's how you feel, you are a runner. That being said, I had a chiropractor tell me I didn't have a "runner's frame". That set me back a few months, so I know what words, even well meaning ones, can do. Then I just said f***it , I'm a runner. Deal with it. :)
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If I see an overweight beginner runner I think "Cool, she's doing something to improve herself and be happier and healthier".
  • meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My friend once complained to me that he had to look at the overweight runners everyday on the running path near his apartment (yes, he can be a bit shallow sometimes).

I look at him with a dead face and told him I would rather see more of them running past my apartment everyday and then maybe there would be less of them in the cardiac clinic office next door to my work.

He hasn't complained to me since!

Running is one of those activities that doesn't require a super jump shot or amazing hand-eye co-ordination - anyone can do it. As long as you can run, what people think of you doing it shouldn't stop you!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I've been running for a couple years now, and only started losing weight starting this past January because of diet/strength training changes. I used to feel REALLY self conscious about it, but now I say who cares. I've run 3 half marathons now, and of course, there are thinner, faster women at every race, but I'm doing the SAME RACE they are.

When I see a larger person running, I think "I've been there, good for them!" Besides, how is an overweight runner ever going to become a fit runner without, you know, running :)
  • lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm obese I admit it! I'm a BIG girl but I run on the elliptical and I mean RUN! My fat is flappin and I wear spandex to keep everything pretty tight so that it doesn't fly off (although that would be AWESOME) I get looks sometimes. Especially today when there was no school and all the tiny little high school girls decided to come "workout" at the gym (yeah they would run for about 5 mins and spend 40 fixing their hair and makeup) I even get my arms going (I don't use the one with the moving arm things I just run full bore on the regular elliptical) I think anyone who is honestly trying deserves credit and my appreciation because I KNOW how hard it is!

OMG i almost spit out my drink! that's me...the first time I ran...but with the right spandex...no more! thank you for spandex! :laugh: :blushing:
  • wifemomrn9
    wifemomrn9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think you are great for running! Who cares what other people think. At least you trying to be a better more fit you.
  • lastchance2010
    Options
    I am just over 300lbs and probably shouldn't be running because I have bad knees and what not, but I love to run! More like a jog. it relieves my stress like nobody's business and I just love it! I can't wait to get to that 77 minute jog that I saw someone post on this thread. before children i was a work out buff and the guys would challenge me to run on the treadmill and they were showing off doing ridiculous inclines and speeds and I just kept my pace and seriously IDK how long i was going but I didn't stop until he did!! LOL I want to get to that again.:drinker: do your thing girl and RUN who cares about what n e one else thinks...:grumble:
  • lastchance2010
    Options
    I strongly disagree with the crying about knees and injuries - be careful, don't overdo it and make sure you have good shoes....My knees were complete crap when i started running at 227lbs - and they are now stronger than ever....

Also, please don't patronise overweight runners by telling them "good job" or something...if you say that to every runner you see, fat or thin - fine....
    BUT do not make an exception of the bigger runners!!:angry: That's almost as bad as saying something nasty to them....

I have crap knees now but in some strange way i feel like I HOPE they are getting stronger. The lighter I get..hopefully the less achy they will get along the way. :)
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So, I started running at 225( long before I found MFP). I always worried that people wondered why I was running too. I live near a really great and hilly subdivision, I also had to run past the fire air base, every day. I took my little dog with me. I always felt like people were watching me, come to find out they were, once the manors realized I was putting heart and dedication into it they would stop me and congratulate me. I even had one of the fore fighters stop me in the grocrie store and tell me what a great thing I was doing and how my dedication was showing. It was supper awesome. I'm 185 now with 20 more pounds to go, and now I run for fun. I have added other cards in and weaight training in too; so I'm not on the road as much. People are watching, they are proud that you're giving it your all. Let them stair and wonder, and just keep running. Keep me updated, I want to know who stops you to tell you you're doing awesome first!! Good luck on your journey!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    No matter what the size of the person, if they want to run, can run then all the power to them. I think it is fantastic. My response is, if people have something negative to say then invite them for a run and see who coughs up a lung first. Guarantee They don't make the first km.

GO THE FATTIES!!!!!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    When ever I see a big girl running I scream YOU GO GIRL!

Love it!
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As a former fat runner (and now still slightly overweight), I think that most of it was my own insecurities. I thought people would snicker, laugh, make fun, etc. to the point that I used to walk whenever I saw people. Then, the more I got into it, the more I let go of my own FAT thoughts and realized that all other runners were absolutely in my corner. Everyone has always been supportive and no one has ever made me feel FAT except myself. So, let go and go for it! The only overweight people to feel bad about are those who are still on the couch and not doing anything about it. You just need to see yourself as a person and not a fat person.
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    I'd say good for you. Just be sure to take it nice and easy, with extra weight you add that much more stress to your joints so go slow and build up gradually. The only one you need to prove yourself to is you.
  • talzybob
    talzybob Posts: 80
    Options
    all i have to say is good luck to them and a well deserved well done. if they are doing something to get themselves back on track for what ever reason then they should go for it despite what anyone thinks. if you are one of them then well done i applaud you. if your that determined to that when you feel you cant than i thing you are stronger than ever. well done is all i have to say. and they should be proud of that the first run they complete.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    a runner is a runner-no matter what size-its respected! IMO
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am an overweight runner...I usually get encouragement from others (which can be a bit annoying since they seem to like to say, 'go on, mama' to me, ha)

When I see people who are heavier than I am, I get happy for them.
  • maryduggins
    maryduggins Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Go for it!(: I swear every time I see someone running (whether they're WAY better than me, or they look like they're just starting to run) I always feel like high-fiving them and saying, "You can do it! You're awesome!!!" lol(:
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I smile and wave at every runner I see when I'm out running. I love it. I love seeing people of every size, shape, nationality, etc.

If you run, you are a runner. Period.