Any hockey players out there?

2»

Replies

• peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Ummmm, am I Canadian? Yesssss!! Mostly road hockey with my kids!! And how many calories do I burn? Who knows, a heck of a lot though, I am sure!! I know that doesn't help lol!
  • jfig600
    jfig600 Posts: 37 Member
    I do play also and just add in what MFP has listed I am sure I burn more then that but better to be under then over . I definitely like my hockey days it give me a break from the gym and i am sure I am burning more than my gym days which are anywhere from 1400 - 1800 calories burned just in cardio. When the puck drops it all out every shift an I usually play for two hours
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    i just type in hockey and put in the time. It gives me around 1100 cal and that is in line with what my HRM used to tell me a few years ago when I wore one.
  • duncanryan
    duncanryan Posts: 122 Member
    I wore my HRM for a few games and got right around 1000 calories burned, so I went with that.
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Big hockey fan here. I have always wondered how many calories the skaters burn. The strength and conditioning needed to participate is impressive so congrats for continuing to play into your adult years! My favorite is college hockey (Go MN Gophers), and in their games I can believe 1000 calories is no exaggeration.

Hockey is a giant interval trainer. I got strong legs (soccer since I was little) and i go out there for 60-90 seconds per shift, some nights with two lines of defense-men, some nights with only 3, (so im out on average 2 min for every 1 min rest). A few years ago I wore a HRM (Polar) for a couple seasons and it was cool downloading the graph of my heart rate. I had 100% spikes on every shift (220 - age), and thats how I play hockey, ALL OUT, when I get off after 90 sec I HAVE to get off, my legs are noodles. By the third period the gear weighs twice as much since you sweat so much, and thats extra challenge. I've done a great many things, but nothing comes close to the workout I get at hockey.. maybe kickboxing a little bit when I get into a good rhythm.

The body heats up, adrelanine flows, I literally don't feel any pain in that zone which is how I tore my bicep tendon on a slapshot that a defender skated into my follow-through, kept playing and scored two goals in that game--a rarity as a defenseman.

I miss the feeling just writing about it.. good thing I got a playoffs weekend tournament coming up with a brutal 4 games in 3 days. (Brutal when you usually play once a week).

I have yet to meet any hockey player who doesn't absolutely love playing hockey.
  • I've worn my HRM while refereeing games several times. I always pause while the ice is being cleaned between periods. I normally get somewhere between 600-700 an hour. It depends on the level of the game. I haven't worn it while playing yet, mainly because I play goal and am worried that one well placed shot could break the chest strap.
  • mcjimy
    mcjimy Posts: 14 Member
    I love hockey. Play over an hour every few weeks as a reward to myself. I have always leaned to the conservative side with my calories burned, except with excercise that is continuous, like cardio and videos, for those i use the Polar FT7 and use its calories. Also as one guy said in another thread the HRM does not reduce calorie burn by the ammount you would use anyway, say 100 Calories/hour. That said Hockey is on and off the ice, with several breaks for water. So I have been going with the MFP suggested calorie count. This has allowed me to beat the programs assumed weight loss for me for the last two months. It also helps me be more accountable to myself for the calories I take in to my mouth as well.
  • dlibonati
    dlibonati Posts: 99 Member
    I try to wear my HRM pretty regularly while playing hockey. Tend to get a read out of 550-750 per game depending on how many lines we have out there + what position I'm playing. That includes warm up and a bit of cool down, so maybe an hour or so of calculating.