Hello Protein Powder Drinkers!

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have Muscle Milk Light Cake Batter flavor- I can't say that I've ever had a problem with the taste (tastes AWESOME!) but when I first started drinking it, I had one of the bottles that had the plastic grate at the top to mix- always came out chunky. I saw on Amazon.com when I was re-ordering my protein a bottle called the BlenderBall. It has a little steel spiral ball that moves around freely in the bottle when you shake it to mix everything up like a little self-contained whisk. I've never had problems since I got that bottle- I love it!

As far as hating the taste of your protein, if you don't want to change brands, you can try mixing it with light vanilla soy or almond milk, it only has around 70 calories in a half cup (I do that sometimes if I want a milkshake consistency rather than watery).

Also, another little diet miracle I've found that helps in protein is PB2. It's powdered peanut butter, and it only contains 45 calories in 2 tablespoons. Yeah, 45 calories. I love it. You mix it with water and it tastes just like peanut butter (the natural kind, not the full-of-sugar kind). I can't stand all of the fat calories when I look at peanut butter, so I was so happy when I found this. They even have a chocolate variety. I use the chocolate kind in my protein, and since mine is cake batter flavor, it tastes like chocolate cake batter. It's amazing. It's my little reward everyday after my lifting routine.

And as far as when you drink protein, I drink mine mainly on days that I do resistance training (I do BodyPump/Kettlebell 4 days a week). I'll do the full serving of two scoops on the days that I lift mixed with chocolate PB2, and days that I do cardio (Zumba and interval jump rope 3 days a week), I'll only do one scoop, or eat a meal instead. My reasoning for this is that I burn less calories on my cardio days (I wear a heart rate monitor watch so I know for sure) and don't work all of my muscle groups as hard, so I'd rather save my calories for a solid meal rather than a liquid one after my workout. Also, it is good to either drink it before or after your workout (I prefer after, I don't like the sloshing when I workout. Also, I work out at 5:30am everyday, so it is my interim breakfast until I can get to work and make a bowl of oatmeal or a peanut butter-banana sandwich for my real breakfast). If you drink it after your workout, it is ideal to make it within 30 minutes. That's when your muscles will get the best benefit.

It's not a bad thing to drink it after cardio, protein is protein. As long as it's worked into your daily calories, it's not going to throw you off. The main reason I drink it is for muscle regeneration after a resistance workout (i tend to get a little crazy when I'm lifting weights)- I don't think that it's as necessary after a Zumba class than it is after two hours of lifting.

Hope I could help! =)
  • Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a few different types of protein powders and I found they all sucked at mixing with liquids by simply shaking/stirring it up and not blending it but bought a small container of Genuine Health (same flavor as you) and have been loving it with 1-2 cups of Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Almond Milk :) I love the consistency and it mixes perfectly together! Plus 1 cup of almond milk is only 40 cals and ZERO sugar! Give it a try!

Oh yah and I have a protein shake every day for breakfast regardless of whether I'm working out that day! It's super easy and keeps me full and satisfied!

Thanks!!
  • medic9111
    Options
    I like it with just milk, but I usually put it in my smoothies. I use lots of frozen fruit a small amount of juice and put the protein powder in that. I only use chocolate and it adds a nice flavor.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • sbenson1978
    Options
    i love the Visalus shake mix. its a shake mix that tastes like cake mix 90 calories 12g protein and its so yummy! i mix mine with just 8oz of water and i love it, NEVER a yucky chalky powdery taste.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I use BSN Syntha-6 chocolate peanut butter. I mix it with water and it's DELICIOUS.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I mix my cookies and cream protein powder with half caff coffee (iced) , 2T of half and half and and make my own frappcino! YUM
  • navstone
    navstone Posts: 30
    Options
    a little fresh or frozen unsweetened fruit and ice for a smoothie?
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I put mine in my coffee or in almond milk
  • jaimemariel
    jaimemariel Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk, pb2, fruit.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I find if you don't spend the money on the Protein Shakes the cheaper ones don't tend to mix very well without a blender. I find GNC own brand mix very well on their own using a shaker container.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy the PB2. I've heard people talk about it before and want to try it.
  • sarahc0714
    Options
    I always add 1Tb of cocoa powder and some cinnamon. Doesn't add a whole lot of sweetness but it really does take the flavor up a notch and the benefits from cinnamon are great too!
  • jessilynn1982
    jessilynn1982 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy the PB2. I've heard people talk about it before and want to try it.

I buy it on amazon in a pack of 2, one is chocolate flavored the other regular PB.

I like to mix up my protein shake flavors, and depending on my mood/craving I'll add in one of these:

- frozen coffee cubes (coffee frozen in ice cube trays) to my protein shakes.

- A sugar free oreo cookie, or a who-nu cookie.

- Unsweetened Original Almond Milk (sweetened vanilla flavored when I have the calories)

- A TBSP of Hills Bros Sugar Free Double Mocha Cappuccino (about 35 cals)

- TBSP of PB2

- Sugar free flavored Torani Syrups (peanut butter, hazelnut, salted caramel are my faves)

:) YUM!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I get mine on netrition.com. I found that the price + shipping a little more reasonable. Plus that site has some really awesome foods other than the PB2.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I like to mix my chocolate protein powder with 4oz milk, 4oz water, and a couple of drops of mint extract. Reminds me of Thin Mints (my favorite Girl Scout cookies).

PB is good too. Did that about a week ago and tasted like a Reese's PB cup.
  • Paigepres
    Paigepres Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yeah milk and bananas can make the taste much better.

Agreed! I actually like it now.

Yay! Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I had my morning shake with half a banana and a half cup of 1% milk and it was amazing! Funny how the taste changed so much by adding those ingredients!
  • TotalBodyCoach
    Options
    I am extremely picky about my whey protein. There MANY I don't like. I use Beverly International Ultimate Muscle Protein for my whey protein and Shakeology for my meal replacements. Love them both!
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk, almond milk, or coconut milk, depending on what i'm in the mood for that day.