Appropriate Age for child to count calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    he goes to visit his grandma during school breaks (spring, winter, etc) and she will let him eat 2 boxes of frozen waffles with half a bottle of maple syrup for breakfast, and similar stuff ALL DAY LONG, EVERY DAY. she has a son that is in high school and is a wrestler and she ALLOWS him to CUT WEIGHT (10 lbs in 4 days) kind of thing, by starving himself and doing extra workouts. She told my son that the foods she gives me (like i listed before) are good for him, and will help him with his weight! i just dont understand (btw, its NOT my mother or my husbands mother -- its my husbands ex-wifes mother) WHY would she do that to him!? my sons mother, aunt, and his grandma are all very much overweight and have a million and one medical problems. what do i say to that when my son comes home and says grandma told me mcdonalds is good for me!?

Thanks to the anonymity of the Internet, I get to be brutally honest. I hope this doesn't come across as offensive - I'm not trying to be an *kitten*, really.

You have to ask yourself one question: Who is this boy's parent? You, or your husband's EX-WIFE's mom?

Her house is a toxic environment for your child, and I don't see that you have any familial obligation to continue subjecting him to it. Time to demand adjustments to the environment or stop subjecting your child to it.

He's your child, you get to draw the line. You are also obligated to do so, because it's your job. If ex-MIL won't change the environment, you need to stop exposing him to it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If it were my child I would do my part to feed him better and encourage him to move more and I'd rely on that method first.

he eats really well (as much so as our budget allows) at home, i make 99.9% of all of our meals from scratch, and make healthy substitutions where allowable. However, its when hes NOT home that trips him up :/ he goes to visit his grandma during school breaks (spring, winter, etc) and she will let him eat 2 boxes of frozen waffles with half a bottle of maple syrup for breakfast, and similar stuff ALL DAY LONG, EVERY DAY. she has a son that is in high school and is a wrestler and she ALLOWS him to CUT WEIGHT (10 lbs in 4 days) kind of thing, by starving himself and doing extra workouts. She told my son that the foods she gives me (like i listed before) are good for him, and will help him with his weight! i just dont understand (btw, its NOT my mother or my husbands mother -- its my husbands ex-wifes mother) WHY would she do that to him!? my sons mother, aunt, and his grandma are all very much overweight and have a million and one medical problems. what do i say to that when my son comes home and says grandma told me mcdonalds is good for me!?

The solution isn't to have your kids count calories, it lies elsewhere in your relationship with your peers.
  • CristlNothem
    CristlNothem Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have him start counting calories. If i were you, i would just start making healthier meals, healthy snacks, and encourage the whole family to go work out together. Family bike rides, walks, or just playing outside. If everyone is doing it, it will be so much easier for him, and i'm sure it will help him lose the weight too.
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My son is 11 , about 5 ft maybe 5'1" and weights 128 . He calls himself fat all the time . Really upsets me .

He holds his weight all around his stomach . I keep telling him he is a growing boy and his body is about
    to go through some real changes so to be patient . I have 2 teenage daughters who are gymnasts . Even though
    they are girls , it doesnt help that they have probably 5% body fat and are super athletic . I also have a 5 yr old
    daughter so he is truly outnumbered in my house! Their father doesnt come around so he already feels insecure, when he has these body image issues it really breaks my heart .

Our Dr said thats its something to be aware of but nothing thats really severe at this age. I encourage him to move
    more , he played basketball and is starting baseball this weekend and hopes to play football in the fall, and like
    your son, is hoping to be on the younger team. I don't count calories with him but I do explain the effects (affects??)
    that certain foods will have on his body and what will give him more energy for longer periods of time.

I don't have all the answers so we look things up A LOT and have even taken books out of the library that are age
    appropriate so he understands them better. We will read through them together, and he reads them on his own,

Good luck ! I know as parents its so hard to see our kids struggle with things that we can't create a quick fix to, but you
    can instill a really good foundation for healthy nutrition for the rest of his life ! Look at it as an opportunity :)
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    he told me yesterday that he REALLY wants my help to help him lose the weight, and he will do whatever is necessary. :( and it REALLY sux cuz my 10 year old is 4'9" (only 2 inches shorter) but only weighs 74 lbs, and still fits into the pants he wore when he was 5 -- LITERALLY, they are just too short (obviously). so he is always seeing how my 10 year old could eat an elephant and not gain a single ounce.

It sounds like he wants to approach this from the right perspective and you have a wonderful opportunity to teach him about how to live a healthy, active lifestyle.

I just wanted to mention a little tid bit of information my mom always told me. Her sister was always a little heavier as a kid and because of this she learned how to eat healthy and exercise and lose the weight. My mom never had a problem with weight until she had kids. Guess who had a hard time as an adult learning how to live a healthy lifestyle? My mom because she never knew how to control what she ate. I don't know why, but when you mentioned your 10 year old I thought about this.

Editing to add that it sounds like you have taught your son how to live a healthy lifestyle but there are outside influences making it difficult for him to stick with it. I would have a hard time saying no to a Grandmother figure offering me yummy food. I can't imagine a 12 year old growing boy saying no to the amount of food she is offering.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) this is kind of what i was worried about. i really dont WANT to count calories for him, as i kind of thought it was unnecessary, but heres another question -- when discussing nutrition with him, should i explain the difference between good fats/bad fats and stuff like that? i should, right? and natural sugars compared to sugars in cereals, etc?

At that age, he's more than smart enough to learn about different fats and different sugars, and an emphasis on ALL things in moderation, including the bad stuff, *in moderation*.

But he's not mature enough to apply the information yet. (Given that I weighed 280 when I was in my 20s, some of us aren't mature enough to apply it when we're ten years older than your son, so don't sweat that too much).

Start giving him the tools to recognize the fact that no foods are inherently "good" or "bad", but some are more healthy than others, and you need a mix of different healthy foods to support yourself, and the occasional and reasonable indulgence in less-healthy foods is not a bad thing at all. Support these lessons by maintaining a healthy diet (age-appropriate - he needs more calories per pound than you do).

And if you are uncomfortable with any of it, don't hesitate to engage a nutritionist, but one who specializes in pediatrics.
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This is really hard for me, because I ate destructively as a kid and teenager and no one really sat me down and said "you have to stop this *kitten*". My mother was great and always cooked us whole, healthy foods, but I still had terrible eating habits. Not sure if it was the hormones or what.

I'm not sure what I would do with my kids. You can provide them with healthy, balanced meals and snacks, but you can't control what they eat outside the home or what they're sneaking in. I think encouraging an active lifestyle (sports, etc) would mitigate the problem as well.
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    this is such a tough question to answer since we dont know your circumstances all too well.

I think seeing a Ped RD would be your best bet. Insurance would likely cover it (if you have it).

Personally, i would hestitate to have him doing mfp or anything w calorie tracking simply bc he is getting to a vulnerable stage of life. Plus, its clear he is already self concious about his size, so he is already showing signs of vulnerbility. Obession and eating disorders is what i would be concerned about.

You do have a one up though, since he is homeschool. Scool foods are far from healthy. And since he stays home, the only food thats going in his body is what you put on the table. So you have quite a bit of control over what goes into his mouth. Obviously, you want to avoid being a helicopter mom, but you do have more input over what he eats than those that attend public/private schools.

I think teaching him to read labels would be fantastic.
    I also think proption size is highly important! Proptions can really change outcomes.
    Encouraging him to play backyard football w the neighbor kids or riding his bike, walking the dog are all great. Just get him moving for an hour each day. Maybe share that activity with him. He will feel good bc he is exercising (and not reallly noticing since its fun) and he may be more motivated to have you engage in these activities with.

You spoke about blood work.
    Has he had his thyroid checked?
    If he has, i would specifically ask the doctor for TSH, T3, T4, Free T3s, and Free T4s numbers. The standard has recently changed. They used to say thyroid is normal if TSH is between 0.50 to 5.0 but that has changed! The newer numbers, it should only be 0.50 to 3.0 I personally have thyroid issues and you wouldnt believe the amount of doctors that still go by the older guidlines. these doctors who think they have patients without hypothyroid, are wrong, if they are going by the old standards. so get numbers and be persistant o get it treated if its above 3.0
    and if he hasnt been checked for thyroid, get it checked bc all the dieting and exercise in the world isnt going to work properly if thyroid function is low.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Easy make his meals. Make him healthy snacks. He is homeschooled so you have total control over what goes into his mouth.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I see you're teaching him to eat well, I also wouldn't count calories at this point. However, you mention homeschooling. What type of activities do you do during school that aren't book related? Try to think of something fun for him to do that will give him a reward that isn't focused on his weight. When my son was in the 3rd grade they had a extra time during their day to do something called Mighty Milers. For every X miles they'd get a little dangly foot to put on a key chain. He loved it!

I would give him little challenges here and there that you could incorporate into the school work. If I move X boxes from point A to point C stopping at B how many times would I have to move all those boxes... but have him actually move the boxes.

You could also set up a little competition between the two of you. Like.... how many times each of you use the stairs in the day, or... how many times you can run around the outside of the house in a minute.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I struggle with a similar situation with my son. He'll be 6 in June, is 4'1" and weighs 80 lbs. He's ALWAYS been a big kid (literally from the day we brought him home from the hospital he has gained weigh steadily). Every time I bring it up to his DR, he's not concerned. He's active and we make sure he keeps active. I've been trying to make sure his snacks and portion sizes are limited and healthy. I've been making sure he gets outside whenever possible, etc.

I say do NOT count calories. Make it about healthy choices and keep him active. Congratulate him when he makes healthy choices and make sure that when he goes to his Grandma's, he realizes that he doesn't NEED to eat that much. I also had to put the kabash on that with my MIL.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options
    I think all of us have our bad days and we need room for that (though very rarely!) and i think we all need to have the knowledge to make healthy food choices, but i dont see how being with his grandma a few weeks out of the year is going to make him pack on the pounds, even if he is eating cookies and pizza. (or whatever)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Um, I count 11 weeks and change between now and July 1. Your son would have to lose nearly 1lb/week to make that, which is what's considered safe for *adults*. I wouldn't want a kid trying it without close supervision from a doctor and a nutrtionist.

Maybe you could go talk to the coaches or teachers in charge of the football program and ask them whether there might be a way to let your son be included in the younger group. Most teachers & coaches are impressed by that sort of demonstration of parental support, and they often have the discretion to bend the rules alittle for a kid they have a good reason to have faith in.

If your son has only just turned 12 in the last six weeks, you can make the point that he's a "young 12." Also, his height is in about the 50th percentile for 12 years old, & slightly below that if he's been 12 for more than a couple of months.

(I totally get where your son is coming from. My brother was 6' tall and around 200 lb by the time he was 14. He looked like he could have squashed a 4'11", 125 lb kid like a bug - my brother wouldn't ever have done it, but he sure looked like he could.)

While you're talking to the coaches/teachers, ask what you and your son could do to start getting him into shape for football. (This will probably impress them, and) then you can take their recommendations, leaving aside any that are impractical or otherwise unsuitable, and put together a 'pre-football conditioning program" for your son. That might have a better psychological cast to it than a "weight-loss" program as such.

I wish both you and your son good luck in this. :)
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I would seek out a registered dietician and get her advise on this.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I think all of us have our bad days and we need room for that (though very rarely!) and i think we all need to have the knowledge to make healthy food choices, but i dont see how being with his grandma a few weeks out of the year is going to make him pack on the pounds, even if he is eating cookies and pizza. (or whatever)

It doesnt matter .. this is not Grandma's son, this is her grandson. If OP tells her mother "I do not want this type of food served to my child", her mother needs to respect that 150%.

OP - please... as I indicated in my original reply - seek the advise of the child's Pediatrician to find a Registered Dietician that works with kids... or, if you are strapped for money, you can easily talk with your local health department. They are a great resource of information that can help you out appropriately....
  • carolyns19
    Options
    A few thoughts:

I work in a public school-- there is nothing going on there that your son is missing out on, trust me.

Really this is all in your hands:
    -Feed him healthy, nutritious things.
    -Teach him about portions-- kids are often shocked to find out their stomach is the size of their fist.
    -Buy him a pedometer, set family challenges to reach a certain number on it
    -Make going for walks and doing exercise part of homeschooling (think about joining a local indoor pool, and doing swimming
    -Send him to grandma's with different food
    ((educate him on reading ingredient lists-- if you can't pronounce it, should it be in your body??)) Maybe HE can refuse grandma's junk!

DON'T count calories. That is not the sort of way you want you son looking at food. You want him to recognize it as fuel! Many grocery stores have dieticians (at least they do in Iowa City, IA), and they will meet with your son, walk him around the store, etc.

There are probably other homeschoolers that are looking for a way to teach nutrition-- contact your local homeschool moms/dads.

There are most likely books for children that are aimed at explaining nutrition.

Lastly, engage him in cooking classes. Kids will ALWAYS try what they prepare. I have students that won't touch veggies, but we went on a field trip to the grocery store and made veggie pizza (where they didn't have an option to add pepperoni and HAD to have veggies on every slice)-- they SCARFED it down.
  • Falling2Grace
    Options

It doesnt matter .. this is not Grandma's son, this is her grandson. If OP tells her mother "I do not want this type of food served to my child", her mother needs to respect that 150%.

i totally agree! she does need to respect that fully....but the OP needs to tell her mother her expectations, no?
    ...on top of that, 12 yr olds do have some level of self control...
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    So much great advice! Disordered eating is becoming so common at younger ages in kids and is becoming more common amongst boys as well as girls. I agree that focusing on calories can be really dangerous at this age. What I do with my daughter is try to focus on activity- having her play outside with friends as much as possible- ride her bike, scooter, play with the dog (good for the dog too, lol), go for walks with me, hike, anything to get moving, as long as it is PLAY and fun and not a chore. I do talk about what is healthy food and why too much sugar and flour/processed junk is bad. At 11 she is already feeling pressured to be uber thin, and it scares me to death. I guess the more that we can teach balance, healthy habits and positive self image, the better we can protect them from all of the crazy pressure out there and help them avoid the pitfalls of being unhealthy in either extreme.