Low-Calorie Breakfast and Lunch ideas

Options

Replies

• joyce1129
    joyce1129 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Instead of oatmeal since you have a texture "thing" try Cream of Wheat, much finer consistency or Farina, anothger hot cereal option.

I often make omelets and use 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. Spray the pan with cooking spray and get rather hot before pouring in the eggs. Add last night's left over veggies, a small amount of grated or shredded cheese. Cook until firm and fold over. Top with salsa. Serve with a toasted 100 calorie Thomas' English Muffin spread with 1 tablespoon of sugar free jam. Depending on veggies this is in the 300 calorie range.
  • kcash9
    kcash9 Posts: 15
    Options
    Kari,

I've been making smoothies every day for breakfast...I don't have a precise recipe, but I use: almond milk, 1 banana, frozen strawberries & frozen peaches.

there are a lot of variations on this.... I've also used: almond milk, 1 banana, and on 2 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter.

Hope this helps!
    THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!
  • 750SPRIT
    750SPRIT Posts: 3
    Options
    HI there,'

I HAVE A APPLE ON MY WAY TO WORK,THEN AROUND 9.30 I HAVE A DANNON VANILLA YOUGURT WITH STRAWBERRY.IT HOLD ME OVER TO LUNCH.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I made some black bean egg muffins today that were delish! I sautéed an onion, seasoned with cumin and chili powder, added a can of diced tomatoes in juice, can of black beans drained and rinsed, and let it simmer to get rid of some of the liquid. Then tossed that with 12 egg whites, 1 cup old fashioned oats, and about half a cup to a cup of cottage cheese. I baked it at 450f for about 20 mins. Made 16 muffins at 66 cals a pop for my ingredients. I think I'll pop a couple in the microwave before dragging my bum out the door at 5 am tomorrow!

48159353.jpg
  • sjcampbell175
    Options
    you can add cinnamon instead of sugar for those that are diabetic or just cutting down on sugar
  • KimmieJoy_84
    Options
    These are some very interesting recipes...Keep them coming I can't wait to try them out!!:smile:
  • AndreaHogston160
    AndreaHogston160 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    lunch idea: 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce, 1 cup halfed cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup Feta cheese crumbles, 3/4 cup grilled diced chicken breast. NO dressing needed. The feta cheese has a strong enough flavor that I do not use dressing. this makes a huge salad that most people probably would not even be able to finish all for about 350 calories.
  • AndreaHogston160
    AndreaHogston160 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low calorie fast food lunch idea.....I love to go to Wendy's because I have more healthy options there. I get a garden side salad and a small chili. I pour the chili over the salad. It is so tasty and only 245 cals. You can add a grilled chicken sandwich for 390 cals. But I take off the bottom bun to save 50 cals. As a matter of fact that is what i had for dinner tonight and it was a total of 585 calories after disguarding half of the bread from the sandwich. Not bad for that much food.
  • kah53
    kah53 Posts: 4
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is light wheat toast wtih 1 tbsp peanut butter, use on one slice or two.
  • allisonmrichard
    allisonmrichard Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This morning I had a packet of Great Value Instant Oatmeal (Apples & Cinnamon flavor) with a serving of crushed up Annie's Chocolate Chip Bunny Grahams (they're like Teddy Grahams, but organic and actually a pretty good snack!) -- It was random but I just felt like it, and it actually turned out REALLY good! Totaled to...

-260 calories
    -48 carbs
    -7 grams of fat
    -5 grams of protein
    -19 grams of sugar
    -4 grams of fiber
  • KarenDStevens
    KarenDStevens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to stay under or around 1200 calories a day. I have been lucky with Activia Light Fat Free yogurts all have only 70 calories, Kashi Lean Granola Bars fill me up for Breakfast. Lunches I have been having a lean cuisine meal under 300 calories and eating my main meal at Dinner.
  • leamj87
    leamj87 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I definitely recommend the smoothie plan. I received a bullet blender for christmas and it has CHANGED my life. It's a one serving cup that has one lid with blades on it and another with a spill proof top. You put your fruit (or whatever!) in it, blend it up, switch out for the to go lid, and toss it in your bag and head off to work! No worries about spills, and no big mess!
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast is 1 piece of multigrain toast (around 80 cals depending on brand) and 2 tbsp of Natural PB. To jazz it up I sprinkle 1 packet of splenda on top and cinnamon. If you eat just that it's a less than 300 cal breakfast. I often pair it with a banana or an apple.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian who doesnt eat dairy, so for me I have a bowl of 'All Bran' mixed with Alpro Soya (dark chocolate flavour)...it's pretty filling for around 230 calories. I also freeze the soya pot for an hour...tastes like choccy icecream (115 calories)

Lunch for me is usually pretty weird, it needs to be quick, for example today i've just have petit pois mixed with Thai red curry...350 calories. I like stuff that takes ages to eat and fills me up.
  • leSarahxo
    leSarahxo Posts: 22
    Options
    bump
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I make egg muffins by filling a muffin tin half full with sauteed veggies (red pepper, onion, mushrooms, spinach etc). Then beat a dozen eggs and 1 tsp. baking powder and pour over top so each is about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Each is less than 100 calories. You can freeze them then thaw the night before and pop them in the microwave for a quick breakfast. I usually do two per meal with a piece of fruit...about 250-300 calories.

Another favorite is a frozen waffle (I use Vans gluten-free) with a Tbsp of peanut butter and a banana...310 calories.

Are the muffins serving of 12, 6 or minis?
  • nannabannana
    Options
    bump
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Another breakfast idea... an oatmeal alternative... I made a batch of quinoa, put it in the fridge and then in the morning I take 1/2 cup of almond milk (or plain milk) mixed with 1/2 cup of quinoa... microwave to warm it up and then 1/8 cup of raisins, half of a granny smith apple chopped up, a teaspoon of honey and cinnamon sprinkled on top. Tastee!
  • jkuehn15
    jkuehn15 Posts: 11
    Options
    i enjoy 2 hard boiled eggs and a piece of fruit or cup of fruit in the morning, i am usually not super hungry and its just enough to jump start me for the day and only uses up about 200 to 210 calories!!!!
  • jdm1726
    jdm1726 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Apple Strudel Breakfast

I make this usually once a week, it makes 4 servings of 280 cal apiece

1/4 cup Generic - Almonds Slivered Blanched Almonds,
    2.5 cups of Water
    1/2 cup Great Value - Dried Apple Slices
    1/4 cup Raisins - Seedless
    1 tsp Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    1 tsp Mccormick's - Pure Vanilla Extract
    3 tsp Sugars - Brown, 3 tsp packed
    1 cup, Generic - Quinoa, Uncooked, Dry

Toast the almonds in a pan until nice and brown. Watch out...they come out HOT!! Don't attempt to taste one..like I did....

Cut up the dried apples into little pieces, and combine the quinoa, apples, raisins, water, and cinnamon

Bring to a boil, then cover and turn it down to simmer for 17 minutes.

Take it off the heat, and mix in the vanilla and brown sugar.