Anyone ever fall while running??

Options
I'm just wanting to know in order to make myself feel better and not so much like a clutz! LOL! I was running this morning and was running on a sidewalk due to the thick fog ( I usually run on the street but didn't want a car to hit me due too fog) and as I passed in front of a house I noticed all the dirt was showing and that it was all over the sidewalk and the first thing I thought was "watch out for the clumps of dirt and don't trip.... then guess what.. I was going down! I landed and even rolled once off the sidewalk into the dirt. (funny when I think back). I got up and thought great now I have to walk the mile back home, but I started to walk and lasted about 20 seconds and decided I could run. My palms were numb from breaking my fall and my knees hurt a bit but not too bad. Then I ran an extra 3 min just to make up for the time that it took me to probably fall and get up and get going again! But let me say that tonight I am feeling the pain. My knees are sooo bruised I can't even touch them and my palms are sore and pretty scratched up, and my wrist is killing me. I do remember all I thought about as I was getting off the ground was about the tv show Rules of Engagment which we had watched last night and Adam had fell right after starting a marathon. I laugh at it now even though I am in pain but I'm proud of myself for running it out and extra! But I did still feel alittle of my pride was hurt at the time!

Replies

• MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My dog got his leash tangled around my legs once, and I totally faceplanted. In front of a witness, Awesome.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My dog got his leash tangled around my legs once, and I totally faceplanted. In front of a witness, Awesome.

This more than once, and while on a bike. I don't take the dog anymore. I've also been knocked over by one of my four kids while running as they ride their bikes next to me at times. It is even a wonder I'm still alive and still keep going.
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I tripped on something the other day while I was running and bam right on the road I went. Unfortunately my knee broke the fall and not my hands. I hadnt even gotten a mile down the road. It was bleeding so bad I had to run back to the house. By the time I made it which didn't take long but blood was already to my shoes. It was all over my leg. But I bandaged it up and ended up doing six miles before I came back home :)
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm managed to fall over while walking. Does that count? In the process i managed to scrape all the skin off the top of one of my feet, bruises and cuts all over my legs, skin off my palms and ended up requiring surgery on my knee. Fun times!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Last Sat at dawn I ran into a waist high mesh fence that was blocking a sidewalk downtown. My legs stopped instantly and I went down hard on my elbows and knees on a brick sidewalk. That hurt. Nothing broken though, except for the fence.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I pretty badly destroyed my left ankle years ago during a trail relay (damned roots hidden under leaves!). Suffered a grade 2 sprain that never healed right...because it was a relay I finished out all of my legs (rather than quitting and disqualifying the entire team only on the 3rd leg of a 13 leg race), which amounted to nearly 10 more miles AFTER the injury. Lots of standing around and not elevating or icing like I should have...so I have permanent damage and my off-road running days are over.

That fall wasn't funny, but most of the rest of them have been. A few "oh *kitten*" slips on ice and snow. Those are generally more comical than anything.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Muddy, mine stays home now too lol!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was doing a trail run with a friend once and I tripped over a root and did the tuck and roll. Rolled up to my feet and never missed a step. My friend laughed at me and said that was a great recovery. I was still embarrassed by it.
  • tenunderfour
    tenunderfour Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I was doing a trail run with a friend once and I tripped over a root and did the tuck and roll. Rolled up to my feet and never missed a step. My friend laughed at me and said that was a great recovery. I was still embarrassed by it.

Ditto this. Except I did not tuck & roll. I just face planted. Lots of witnesses. :blush:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I did the same thing running on a road in the dark when I stepped in a small pothole. No witnesses on that one.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Totally got my dog crossing in front of me and sent one of my legs sideways, and i went flying sideways and rolled! Tried to get up super quick but my hubby was with me and we were laughing so hard we had to stop and sit down! My dog runs perfect now, just had a few training "glitches" meaning i fell or almost fell a few more times!
  • matchfitin5
    Options
    My team goes for long road runs together sometimes and since we run in a pack, many of us don't really pay attention, just follow the girl in front of us, so a lot of us trip and fall on top of each other like dominos. Its really embarrassing because we run on pretty crowded trails :). The best is when our keeper ran into a mailbox and broke it clean off of its post.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    at least 1 bad fall a year. I still have scars on my knees from last fall when a friend's dog cut in front of me. lovely
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it sucked. I was finally trying to go for more than 3 miles. I wasn't paying attention, and didn't see the sidewalk was raised up a bit and tripped and skid on my knees. I was a ways away from home, I walked back and stopped at a gas station to clean up. As I was walking back I was starting to feel up to running again. I then tripped and fell AGAIN after about 2 minutes of running.

Suffice to say, the next day my knees felt like crap. I learned the hard way to really watch my step when running though.
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am an avid trail runner, so yes, I fall down all the time. The worst is when you fall off a trail, down the side of a mountain. I have managed to do this two consecutive years in the same race at virtually the same exact spot. All in good fun though, key is, get back up and start running!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I guess if you run you fall at some time I was on vacation in Orlando and was in a group of younger runners trying to keep up on a thin sidewalk along a golf course when I went down over nothing more than a crack in the sidewalk. Good news I guess I can get up now where years ago i had to crawl to a tree or car to push off the ground. They were all concerned for the old guy who was brushing off and laughing I finished my run not to much the worse for wear the coffee that morning was better than ever felt like a runner
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Due to a back injury I haven't run in a long time so now I am relagated to walking. During my walk this morning, I misjudged the curb, twisted my ankle and fell down. All this in front of the morning traffic and my friend. Great way to start the day! :ohwell:
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this post remembering it, because yesterday I was venturing out on what was going to me a long run in the rain. My music suddenly stopped 3/4 mile into the run and so I took it out of my pouch and was trying to get it back on and hit a pot hole, I took a dive onto the asphalt and plowed with my whole right side down the street, all the while trying to get my music to play. Finally the fall must of sunk in, because I tucked and rolled (late) and then rammed my right foot into my left shin. I got up and sat on the curb for 5 minutes completely shocked. I did end up finishing the entire run and was glad to finish.

Today my entire right side is chewed and and brusing is beginning to show (deep brusing), and my shin looks like a pretty nice color of blue. I'm not enjoying the pain, but I do have to laugh about hte whole thing.
  • Moyzilla
    Moyzilla Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    In college I tried to be all smooth and move to the side of the sidewalk to let two good looking guys run by. I tripped and tried to stop my fall (didn't want to look uncool in front of the guys), couldn't stop myself and ended up stumbling/flailing straight into rush hour. Landed flat on my a** in the middle of the road, stopping traffic. There were horns and squeals from breaks, don't know how I didn't get hit. Way to look good, right?
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I fell at a 10M trail race and broke two ribs (still in pain) a few weeks ago, then I fell again at the half marathon last week, you can see scrapes in my profile picture on my right elbow, bloody,and also a huge bruise on my right hip. UGH -- I am super clumsy!