TAE BO

Options
I know this is so 90's LOL. Until now, i couldnt find a work out for me that i could stick with and actually feel the burn. Two days ago I went into Walmart and bought the "this is tae bo" dvd. I have done it two days in a row for 45 minutes. MFP says i burned and excess of 800 calories, but i dont think this is true. I am 5"5' 250 lbs and until now i did not excersise in anyway shape form or fashion. My job is always sedentary i set at a desk all day. I was just wondering because its hard for me to judge how many of my calories to eat back. When i just competled my log, MFP says that i am eating 1200 calories below what i need. ???? Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.:happy:

Replies

• Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    This video claimed to burn almost 1000 per hr i remember this video well I dont know Id probably bet you burn 500 and eat back that?
  • jucciifruit
    jucciifruit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    sounds reasonable to me. 800-100 sounds like a tall tale. Maybe if it was a 90 minute video, but 45 minutes....I dont really think so. 500 sounds right.. Thank YOU
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I love Billy Blanks Tae Bo Videos!

My bootcamp sessions have similar exercises and with my heart rate monitor, it says I burn close to 400 calories in 45mins. So knowing how vigorous Tae Bo is, I would definitely say that 800calories is quite inflated. I would log half the amount, 400cal.

You can eat back your calories, but less than 100%. Just in case.
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Tae Bo can certainly burn that many calories depending on how hard you go at it and your current fitness level. I am a Tae Bo instructor at one of the few gyms in the country offering it in class format. We have MANY people your size who successfully lose A LOT of inches! I would say adjust your calories down a little and depending on what you've set your daily calorie intake to, you may need to adjust that. I put down I burn 400 or so in an hour, BUT I am an instructor who does it all of the time at a very high level. It's harder for me to burn more calories than for you.

I also try hard to meet my caloric intake of 1300 NET calories. In the past I wouldn't eat enough and I found myself feeling drained. I hope this helps and keep at it. Tae Bo works!
  • Cwilliams8676
    Cwilliams8676 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I burn 450 in jillians 40 minute videos so thats where i got the 500 number plus im 205 lbs not small lol
  • jucciifruit
    Options
    Thank you ") Yea i know im not buring 800 because i am a beginner. maybe once or twice i have to stop and just run in place or something because i cant keep up or havent got the hang of the moves yet. Im not coordinated lol. But i know 400 sounds okay because i do sweat (i am not a sweater. it takes a lot even in 100 degree weather). i feel it burning in my arms legs and torso so i know im doing enough to burn, just not to the full extent
  • jucciifruit
    Options
    Ty i love Tae Bo and billy blanks is a great motivator
  • ljc73
    ljc73 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I live in Los Angeles and take a class 3 - 4x a week taught by Billy's brother called Drenched. It's basically Tae Bo on steroids -- imagine taking your Tae Bo video and putting in on fast forward. My heart rate monitor logs 700 - 900 calories per 60 minute class. I was using Weight Watchers and just started MFP about 2 weeks ago, but I've lost 20 pounds in 3 months -- Tae Bo works! Keep it up!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think if you put 100% into the videos, Tae Bo can burn a ton of calories. :) If you aren't wearing a HRM, I would only eat back 1/2-3/4 of the calories you're burning.

I admit that I love Tae Bo, but I'm lazy about working out at home. I wish I could find a Tae Bo class - that would be awesome!
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Love Billy Blank's This is Tae Bo! I just did it tonight! I get great cardio results from it! I have knee issues so I can't run very much. But when I need a super power calorie burner, I get it from Tae Bo. It uses my hips and arms.

As far as eating back your extra calories, I never worry much about that because I have problems staying under. I would only eat my calories back if I am hungry. If not hungry, I usually get hungry the next day which messes up my MFP stats. But oh well. I may not look perfect in print but my healthy life style changes still helped me loose inches. You have to listen to your body when deciding if you need to eat back your calories. And if so, pick healthy foods.

Have fun punching and kicking! :wink:
  • MissNina84
    MissNina84 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have to say that Tae Bo is the best workout I've ever done! I take classes in Philadelphia at 12th St Gym, where classes tend to be on the tougher side (there are some hardcore gym enthusiasts there!) The instructor likes to push us, so I think the workout is much more intense than ever doing the videos. I wouldn't find it hard to believe if we burned 800-1000 per our one-hour sessions. I always leave class drenched in sweat! I've lost so much weight doing Tae Bo and actually look forward to the class! :-)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I've been following the Tae Bo Cardio vid before and after I got a HRM. MFP would say about 900 cals burned for about 45 mins. HRM says 450-500ish.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edit: Necros are OP.
  • MoRiv1986
    MoRiv1986 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can't find Taebo on the list for MFP, so I just log it in as kickboxing. Glad to know there are others who do it and about how many calories I burn.
  • cpv91
    cpv91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take Bo has been my go-to DVD for years. Never fails to get me motivated and it WILL help you tone up as you lose weight. Never mind that it's not the latest craze. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Good luck and keep the faith!
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love Tae Bo! Billy Blanks is a rockstar! I've been doing the videos for about 15 years. Consistent nice sweaty burn. Add hand weights for a little extra!
    :smile: