Too much sugar???

Options
So if I have a small glass of OJ in the morning and then a chocolate chip Clif Bar in the afternoon for a snack, I'm over my sugar limit for the day. Whats a realistic goal to have for sugar in my diet?

Replies

• tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    ignore the sugar on here. completely. just eat what you're gonna eat, assuming you don't have an actual medical problem with sugars.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    ignore the sugar on here. completely. just eat what you're gonna eat, assuming you don't have an actual medical problem with sugars.

^^ I agree! Many people may start telling you that you need to practically eliminate sugar to lose weight, blah blah blah...truthfully, you need to eat in a more healthful way that you can stick to permanently. And if that includes your OJ and Clif Bar, do it!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    40 grams is the dietary guideline for added sugars. Added meaning it wasn't grown with it. All of the sugar from a Coke would be considered added, sugar from an apple would not. I'm pre-diabetic and over on my sugar everyday according to MFP...I don't even eat the the stuff.
  • weathergirl320
    Options

lol interesting. i literally do the exact opposite. i watch mainly my sugar intake and ignore my calories and or protein. LOL different strokes for different folks
  • corbettcd
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I also had four slices of watermelon tonight after dinner and some organic strawberry jam on an English muffin in the morning. They seem like decent choices for a healthy diet, I realize soda and candy are unhealthy.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on the person. I try to eat NO added sugars. And figure I'm getting them anyway.
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    OMG! the first time i used MFP I was freaking out over how quickly my sugar tallied up against the goal they give you, no matter how much i cut out i'd still go over everyday (1 banana & half a tub of youghurt would put me over the suggested goal). Im back to try again but this time wont be taking any notice of the sugar recommendations.
  • tsh0ck
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I also had four slices of watermelon tonight after dinner and some organic strawberry jam on an English muffin in the morning. They seem like decent choices for a healthy diet, I realize soda and candy are unhealthy.

the only food that is unhealthy is one eaten in excess.
  • tsh0ck
    Options

lol interesting. i literally do the exact opposite. i watch mainly my sugar intake and ignore my calories and or protein. LOL different strokes for different folks

though, ignoring calories on a calorie-counting website seems odd ... especially when it is ultimately a calorie that adds weight.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Never ever watched sugar intake..... Calories, Fat, and Carbs for me......
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar is context dependent. There are some dosages one should not exceed but, again, these are simply guidelines. Too much sugar for your average, healthy individual is quite high. Unless you're consuming solely fruit, desserts, and the like as your main source of carbs then you're probably okay. Some days I consume 60g and others 10g. As long as it does not make up a considerable portion of your calories, you're in the clear.

As a side note, this does not give permission to start slamming back sugars because it fits your calories and macros and suddenly make your diet devoid of other foods. Moderation!
  • Lieberm
    Lieberm Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. One cup of Green Goodness for breakfast and one cup of low sodium V8 when I get to work and I'm already over on sugars according to this site.
  • lafresita
    lafresita Posts: 27
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish between natural sugars (contained in fruits and vegetables) and added sugars, contained in processed foods, baked goods, sodas etc. An average sized apple has 15 grams of sugar, which is more than half of the daily goal on MFP. Vegetables such as carrots, pumpkin and beetroot are also quit high in natural sugar.

I personally don't pay too close attention to the daily sugar goal, but try and keep my added sugar to a minimum. And limit fruits (including fried fruit) to 2 servings a day.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    The way i look at it is...
    I many not be perfect, but I'm doing better on 2 fronts...

1) Overall, I am eating LESS food than I did before I started MFP. Less food means less sugar

2) I'm making much HEALTHIER CHOICES than before MFP so that's further reduced the percentage of sugar I'm in taking.

So, I'm headed in the right direction.

I also like to keep in mind that both sugar and artificial sweeteners spur you appetite (which is why it's food manufacturers favorite ingredient.) So I like to watch out for hidden sugars, because I'd rather have a service of cookies than find out I've eaten 18g of sugar in my pasta sauce (on top of simple carbs in pasta)

If I eat too much sugar I have a hard time hitting my calorie goal.

Coming from a family of diabetics I always heard "sugar is sugar", but recently saw an article about how nature packaged the sugar in fruit with fiber, and that changes the way our bodies processes it.

My next step is to learn more about the glycemic index. ( :ohwell: ...procrastinating...:ohwell: )
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't distinguish between natural sugars (contained in fruits and vegetables) and added sugars, contained in processed foods, baked goods, sodas etc.

Why would this matter?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Too much sugar is context dependent. There are some dosages one should not exceed but, again, these are simply guidelines. Too much sugar for your average, healthy individual is quite high. Unless you're consuming solely fruit, desserts, and the like as your main source of carbs then you're probably okay. Some days I consume 60g and others 10g. As long as it does not make up a considerable portion of your calories, you're in the clear.

As a side note, this does not give permission to start slamming back sugars because it fits your calories and macros and suddenly make your diet devoid of other foods. Moderation!
    . /thread.
  • HealthyGuy49
    Options
    Have you ever tried a Paleo diet? It cuts out sugars as well as vegetable oils and other non-essentially ingredients. I started following a Paleo diet and have been losing weight and feeling great (how cliche) anyways this site helped me. check it ouf if you want to know more.

http://greatestviews.com/paleo-recipe-book/