Cardio VS. Weights for all over shrinkage!

Options
124»

Replies

• justbeach03
    justbeach03 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bumpo!
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here is a link for a perfect example of the difference between what just cardio will do vs cardio and weight training.

http://www.liftingrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sprinter-vs-marathoner.jpg

Both will get you to lose the bodyfat, but.... well, what body type would you rather have?

The sprinter most definitely! :D thanks!

I've been a "runner" for most of my life. I run 5K's and I'm good at sprinting for my age (and being female). I sprint when I play softball and I do sprints about once a week to improve my time, but how does one just "sprint"? I definitely want to look like the sprinter in the picture... what kind of just sprinting do they do? Serious answers only, please.
  • acs4162
    acs4162 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    how much do you began with if your heavy lifting?

My trainers have always set the weight right where I start to shake towards the end of the set when lifting. It's sounds painful, but it has always worked for me. And slow movements. This is just what works for me.
  • Peanut0711
    Peanut0711 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    All I have to say is thank you! I've been doing cardio with low weights......going to gym tonight, so gonna rock it with heavy lifting....I am so determined.....I haven't lost anything since i've been on here.....so thank you all for your comments!:bigsmile:
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I i have 16 more pounds to lose. Im not sure what to do anymore. Im starting to notice that im giving up. I dont want to. But the scale is not moving ...so i have been running 3for days a week. But for when it comes to lifting weights. I dont do it. Cause im so lost. I dont have anyone to go to to get help. Can you guys help....
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Hey Melissa You're more than halfway to your goal. That's great! Don't even consider giving up. If what you are doing is no longer providing the results you desire then maybe it is time to switch to something else. I was hitting cardio really hard, like twenty miles each morning on the recumbent bike before heading to work, and took off quite a few pounds from Jan through March.

But I am spending the months of April and May doing weight lifting without any cardio except nature hikes on the weekends and am seeing nice loss of inches though not as much loss of pounds. That makes me think I am losing fat while retaining lean muscle mass. Which is a good thing.

Don't even think about giving up. Think about changing up for a month or two.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Here is a link for a perfect example of the difference between what just cardio will do vs cardio and weight training.

http://www.liftingrevolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/sprinter-vs-marathoner.jpg

Both will get you to lose the bodyfat, but.... well, what body type would you rather have?

That answer was a big surprise. I think the one on the left looks way better.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    When you say "lift heavy" do you mean 10 lbs for things like curls rows tris or are you talking heavier? Im going to be starting Jillian Micheal's 30 day shred and I have to buy weights. I was planning on getting 8 or 10 lb should I go heavier or do you think that would be ok. FYI I have church lady arms and thunder thighs and want them gone!!! lol
    Since you do so many reps of different exercises all in a row, you should go with 5lb weights to start.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

That answer was a big surprise. I think the one on the left looks way better.

Why is that?
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bumo...
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bumppppp. Crazy to see such an overwhelming amount of people saying lifting and circuit made the biggest difference, deff gonna do some re-thinking here.. but what about like work out dvds (jilliam michaels ones) compared to gym machines?
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My life changed when I found P90X and now Insanity. P90X (a lot of heavy weights, muscle confusion) got my body to shrink & change shape and the scale went down 14lbs. With Insanity, so far, I've lost 10 lbs and I'm seeing changes faster. Insanity is crazy interval cardio training. I love them both & will do a hybrid next.

I love the workouts from Beachbody because they give us a free coach to talk with (and now I"m a coach too!) so if I started to get bored with a DVD or didn't think I was seeing changes, or whatever, there was someone to support me. I didn't find that with the Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred-that went into the pile of workouts that "didn't work" (they probably work great, but I got frustrated/bored and quit) I need that support & the variety that I get with my current workouts.
  • alyssatuininga
    alyssatuininga Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am very new at this so bear with my question. I just started doing couch 2 5k, will continue all 9 weeks and then continue running a 5k, 3 days a week. That will count as my 3 days, 30 minutes of cardio, correct? I am not a member of a gym, but I have a couple of weights. Can somebody point me in the right direction for strength training I can do at home (as a busy mom with 3 kids trying to fit this all in). Thanks so much!

Their are TONS of things you can do at home! Check out the animations from the body4life website. They have ones with weights, balls, or just you and the ground/stairs. Hope this helps and I am not a member of a gym either. I do mine at home!

http://bodyforlife.com/library/tools
    (click on Exercise Animations)

Those are exactly what I needed! thank you!!

You should check out bodyrock.tv too. It has tons of great short videos that are really intense. I love it for days I miss the gym.
  • annabanana1786
    annabanana1786 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump!! I have GOT to start strength training!!!
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice ladies!
  • oldmanswife
    oldmanswife Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Definitely the New Rules of Lifting for Women! Awesome book. :)