Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are you planting a garden this year?

silkysly
silkysly Posts: 701 Member
What are you going to have in it?

Replies

• stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Tomatoes
    Peppers
    Zucchini
    Flowers
  • TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    This'll be my second year with a container garden and I've expanded from last year. I've got a couple boxes of flowers for pollinators, but on the food side I'm growing hot peppers, bell peppers, two kinds of tomatoes, scallions, chives, basil, nasturtiums (although they were kinda wimpy looking last year so I didn't eat them), and salad greens. The salad greens were leggy when I first sowed them and most of them have died, so I think I'm gonna mow them under and start a new batch.

Of course, after the extra warm March we're under a freeze advisory so I had to bring my tomatoes and peppers inside. Everything else will just have to deal with it. I had good luck last year, except my bell peppers were late coming out and most never ripened before the frosts came. I mean, I like green peppers as much as the next person, but I really wanted to see what colors I had (I purchased a mixed seed packet, so they could have been red, yellow, orange or purple).
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    Hopefully living and edible things for once! (I'm gardening impaired)
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    peas, onions (green and walla walla sweets to dry), salad greens, radishes, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, eggplant, zucchini, corn, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower.....
  • silkysly
    I’m going for it..., a 50X50 garden!

Tomatoes
    Cherry Tomatoes
    Banana Peppers
    Bell Peppers
    Hot Peppers
    Cucumbers
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Green Beans
    Peas
    Onions
    Spinach
    Squash
    Sweet Potatoes
    Carrots
    Eggplant
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    in my 20 x 20 Roma Tomatoes, banana peppers, green beans.
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I'm trying to do a veggie garden for the first time ever!

So far i've got summer squash, green beans, carrots, green onion, cucumber, and tomatoes sprouting in my house (will transplat outside when it gets warmer). And I also want to start on green peppers and some herbs.

The green beans and summer squash are doing awesome already, I'm so excited!
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    I so wish I could! First of all, I have a tendency to kill every plant I try and take care of. And two, I'm pretty sure my dog will eat anything I plant in the yard :/
  • Gumbie7
    Gumbie7 Posts: 45 Member
    I just started planting and we planted some Chardoney grapes, Autumn Royal Seedless Grapes, some fresh herbs of our own, tomatoes (pink ladies), cilantro and some hot red peppers:) I hope you are enjoying your new garden!
  • silkysly
    I just started planting and we planted some Chardoney grapes, Autumn Royal Seedless Grapes, some fresh herbs of our own, tomatoes (pink ladies), cilantro and some hot red peppers:) I hope you are enjoying your new garden!
    Thank you!
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    We have mint, watercrest(my hubbie refuses to eat), dandelions(we have made jelly and eat the greens), clover, chives, raspberries, strawberries, rhubarb, aspargus, pears, grapes, cherries every year. Then we always plant tomatos and peppers. Some things we have added over the years include pumkin, watermelon, sugar snap peas, carrots, zucchini, squash, lettice, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower. Broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage seem to grow very well when we plant them so I'm sure those are going in this year. I make a lot of foods and can a lot. My garden isn't very big, nor is my yard but it is spaced out well and several plants and trees are along the fences or to the back of the yard. We purposely plant a week or two to a month later then our neighbor. Good luck with your garden.

lol I forgot the kholorobi! Those are awesome.
  • eriemer
    I'm trying to do a veggie garden for the first time ever!

So far i've got summer squash, green beans, carrots, green onion, cucumber, and tomatoes sprouting in my house (will transplat outside when it gets warmer). And I also want to start on green peppers and some herbs.

The green beans and summer squash are doing awesome already, I'm so excited!

I hope you have a big garden because squash(pumkins, zucchini too) can take over everything! We learned that the hard way. Watch your herbs some grow back every year like our chives and mint. Good Luck!
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    So far I have

Peas
    Beans
    Tomatoes
    Potatoes
    Strawberries
    Onions
    garlic
    Asparagus
    Basil
    Spring mix greens
    Kale
    Carrots
    Arugala
    Oregano
    Mint
    Lavender
    Rosemary
    Lemon balm
    Brussel sprouts
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Cilantro
    Red bell peppers

To attract pollinators...
    Asters
    Cone flower
    Butterfly weed
    Speedwells
    Black eyed susans
    Daisies
    Some other perennials that are escaping me right now
  • eriemer
    For the gardening impared check out your local farmers or farmers markets! They are awesome. I have 3 to chose from, in town they have one every Wed and Sat. It's nice because they have local venders sometimes too and the Amish with all the baked goods, local cheese makers, some local greek pasteries, fresh flowers, ciders, jellies, honey, fruits and veges. They are amazing and I find they are usually cheaper.
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member
    I miss gardening. I used to live in an area with rich loamy soil great for gardening. Now I live on a sand plain where pine and oak trees grow but a successful home garden is near impossilbe. To satisfy my taste for local grown fresh fruit and veg I have joined a CSA. I live in Minnesota though so my first bushel basket won't be available until June. I envy the longer growing season that many of you enjoy. Happy gardening!
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    I'm so jealous of all you who already have gardens growing. I can't even plant out till the end of May. But when I do:
    pumpkins
    green beans
    swiss chard
    lettuce
    cabbage
    brussels sprouts
    broccoli
    beets
    turnips
    zuchinni
    mesclun mix
    carrots
    parsley
    celery
    raspberries
    rhubarb
    marigolds
    sweet peas
    Probably some other stuff, too.

And in my greenhouse:
    basil
    couple of tomatoes (can't eat them much-allergies)
    cantelope or two
  • TeresaC79
    I miss gardening. I used to live in an area with rich loamy soil great for gardening. Now I live on a sand plain where pine and oak trees grow but a successful home garden is near impossilbe. To satisfy my taste for local grown fresh fruit and veg I have joined a CSA. I live in Minnesota though so my first bushel basket won't be available until June. I envy the longer growing season that many of you enjoy. Happy gardening!

Couldn't you build some raised beds to grow in?
  • nay1228
    nay1228 Posts: 64 Member
    YES!!! We weren't able to plant last year and I missed my garden terribly!

We are planting potatoes, onion, garlic, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, green peppers, leaf lettuce, string beans, corn, cantaloupe and pumpkins.
  • ssp1977
    ssp1977 Posts: 120 Member

Couldn't you build some raised beds to grow in?

Definately could do that but I would have to fence them as well on account of the many deer and rabbits around here. I satisfy my green thumb with flower gardening and a few herbs and even those seem to scream "salad bar" to the wildlife. Might be worth the doing a raised bed to have just a couple of tomato plants though...nothing like a fresh sun-ripened garden tomato! Thanks for the thought.
  • TeresaC79
    Yeah, that would be an issue. What about hanging baskets for tomatoes? Get a varietal that doesn't need to be trellised.