PCOS and calorie counting

Options
Hey, i am going to the doctor tomorrow because I have all the symptoms of PCOS, and I was wondering if there were any sufferers on MFP?
If so, as one of the symptoms is a difficulty losing/gaining weight, would my calorie goals be lower than a normal person of my category (sex/height/weight etc)? I know it is different for everyone anyway, but I was wondering if the difference is very significant with PCOS? Like maybe I would always be at 250 calories less even if I just want to maintain, or 500 less or something.

I wont find out tomorrow as I will have to do for tests, but it seems like a pretty good chance that I do have it. Will probably end up posting again if i find out I do (or don't).
But I am pretty worried, any advice at all on PCOS would be much appreciated.

Replies

• StarryEyed500
    StarryEyed500 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    It depends on your individual body. For me, if I exercise it makes a huge difference and I can eat like a 'normal' person trying to lose weight. If I am dieting only, I do find I should eat less. I would set my goal for losing 2 lbs. a week but then would lose 1 lb. Which was fine. Others have had a lot of success with a reduced carb diet (though that didn't do much for me and I find it too hard to stick to).

Start with a normal goal, add some exercise, and you should be OK. If you can't exercise, cut back on calories or carbs.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I think that taking fast releasing carbs out of your diet (such as white bread, pasta, spaghetti, potatoes etc) and replacing them with slow releasing carbs such as wholegrain bread, pasta, spaghetti, quinoa, sweet potatoes, new potatoes. Search Low GI on google, and you shall find lists of the foods that are low, high and moderate on the Glycemic index. Please avoid taking any food groups out of your diet such as wheat and dairy, as you do need these food groups for an essential healthy diet.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't have to cut back on calories (losing at around 2000 a day) but I do have to cut back on carbs (under 50g net, from veggies, nuts, seeds and berries, is what I need to see the scale move). I can eat 1200 cals a day but if there are too many carbs then I can GAIN on that amount. Exercise also helps, a LOT!
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have followed the recommendations on MFP and found that I lose pretty easily. Even when the scale isn't going down (like recently), I just measured and found out I lost 4.25 inches all over my body. So as long as you follow the guidelines, you should be okay.

But if you can, stay away from carb rich foods because they are part of what causes your PCOS symptoms. The weight around your stomach and hips is from insulin resistance which is caused by eating too many carbs and your body producing insulin to such a degree that your body stops using it to break down the carbs and instead it all becomes fat.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been diagnosed and am now taking metformin which really helps, but I was still losing before that sticking to 1200 calories a day and following a low GI diet (I'm 5'3 and started at 12st 10lbs, now 12st 1lbs). Its not so much the calories you need to look out for with PCOS, its the carbs and sugars. PCOS can make you insulin-resistant so you need to follow a similar diet to what a diabetic would. Just cutting out bread altogether has made a massive difference to my measurements!!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and I find that white carbs are my enemy. Like no pasta enemy but I have managed to loose the weight. You can do it!!!!!!
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a friend and she uses an ADA diet given to her by her doctor. Complex carbs, no added sugar, etc.
  • minime2b
    minime2b Posts: 168
    Options
    I have PCOS and I think that taking fast releasing carbs out of your diet (such as white bread, pasta, spaghetti, potatoes etc) and replacing them with slow releasing carbs such as wholegrain bread, pasta, spaghetti, quinoa, sweet potatoes, new potatoes. Search Low GI on google, and you shall find lists of the foods that are low, high and moderate on the Glycemic index. Please avoid taking any food groups out of your diet such as wheat and dairy, as you do need these food groups for an essential healthy diet.

This ^ my daughter has it and when she was first trying to get pregnant the Dr put her on Metformin. She new she had always responded well to watching her carbs and we figured this is the reason. She finds she loses weight the best by being a Low Calorie/Smart Carb dieter. I hope this helps
  • FHerndon01
    Options
    I count calories, but also like the others limit carbs. I have cut all white breads, pastas, etc from my diet. When I do eat carbs I stick to whole grains, etc. I also pay attention to how much sugar I eat. I tend to try and eat fruits that are no higher than medium to high in sugar. I also exercise a wicked amount. When combined with the metforim I was put on for PCOS I have dropped 20 lbs in less than 5 weeks. Everyone is going to different since PCOS has a variety of different issues but you'll figure out what works for you.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    I have PCOS but have been following the guidelines on MFP for the last 35 days and lost 19lbs. I don't eat white bread or white sugar but I have slipped a few times and it does make me stall temporarily. I am off of metformin and my blood sugars are within normal. Don't cut back on calories just eat good calories like fruits, nuts, protein, and veggies.
  • Ociases
    Ociases Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think I do end up having to eat less than people without PCOS but it helps to reduce refined carbs and processed foods in general. These days I'm eating 1350-1600 calories and burning anywhere between 300-800 calories in the gym. When I don't go to the gym I try to keep my calorie intake between 1200-1400. The weight loss is slow but definitely not impossible. I've lost a total of 85 pounds since my highest when I was diagnosed with PCOS around 5 years ago. Exercise is my best friend though. I feel like I can eat like a normal person and still lose weight when I put my time in at the gym.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    PCOS is linked with lower metabolism. That being said, under eating is not the solution. It is better to work on your metabolism,that way, you can lose weight long term and not be completely miserable
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Everyone is different. I had to learn how to listen to my body after I was told I had PCOS. It has been a roller coaster road. A really good doctor will go a long way with PCOS. It can make a big difference. :) Some doctors don't feel that PCOS is something to be concerned with and others just don't know enough about it to help. There are also many books on www.amazon.com if you would like to read more about it. I'd say the library may have them too.

I found that the lower carb works better for weight loss. I'm on the atkins diet to lose weight and complex carbs only to maintain my weight. I feel better and can lose weight.
  • slsmoot123
    slsmoot123 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

I have PCOS and I've done essentially the same thing. I couldnt take metformin because it just made me feel sick to the stomach all day. One day at work I actually did get sick so I quit the stuff and went natural. I've significantly cut out sugar from my diet to help my insulin levels go down--I am insulin resistant. The best advice is to continue to do internet research on PCOS since so few people really know what it is. Learn about insulin resistance because its an eye-opener, and I think its one of the reasons why I've been so unsuccessful at trying to lose weight in the past. Good luck!
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and thyroid disease too. I have known about both of them for 12 years or so. My thyroid is well controlled on medication.

Honestly, I haven't really found weight loss with PCOS to be any more challenging for me than it is for my friends that don't have it. Yes, I have to pay attention to what I eat but so does everyone else I know that wants to lose weight. If I am doing what I am supposed to and keep my calories within the guidelines set on MFP then I lose...if not then I don't.

Having said that, PCOS is a syndrome that covers A LOT of territory. Any number of hormones can be out of whack and every person diagnosed with PCOS can have a completely different blood panel. My sister and I both have PCOS and in both of our cases it was one hormone that was out of normal range. I know people with PCOS that have every hormone they check out of whack. I would imagine that a lot depends on which hormone it affects and how off it is.

You are going to have to experiment with what works for you. My guess is that it is going to have more to do with WHAT foods you eat that it will have to do with removing additional calories from your diet. You might find that you can eat 1500 calories of food with low carbs and do great but the same number calories with high carbs stops all progress, for example.

Good luck!
  • buckeye_mommy82
    buckeye_mommy82 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also and find that I my weigh loss (and mood) is much better when I excercise. All of the other posts about the carbs are dead on for me too. I eat whole grains, veggies and fruits as much as possible. Low GI food, or PCOS friendly diets and recipes are online too which helps get you on the right track for better things to eat. I am not on metformin, but a close friend of mine with PCOS is and it helped her greatly. Mostly, if I want something that isn't the best for me - I just have a little and make sure that I hit the gym. Good luck!
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    I don't need to eat less calories but I absolutely need to exercise and keeping a 40/30/30 C/P/F balance helps keep everything regulated for me.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well I didn't get offered any medication but I've heard you can get really bad side effects from Metformin. I don't think it is good to rely on medication as clearly it is only a short term fix. Eat well and exercise plenty and drink lots of water, and take extra supplements if you like such as fish oils (which I've heard to be beneficial to PCOS sufferers)
    Please research any supplements or herbal remedies thoroughly before taking them though. I was going to take some Chromium Picolinate which I'd heard can help with weightloss for those with PCOS but found it can cause DNA mutations. Again on the internet there are some sites and ebooks that advise you to cut out essential food groups from your diet. I don't think that is necessary unless you have an allergy or intolerance to such food groups.
    It is harder for women with PCOS to lose weight but it will be worth it! I think slower weight loss is better for longterm maintance so please do not be disheartened if your weight does not drop at the same rate as those without PCOS. Good luck in your weight loss journey and anyone that wishes to talk about PCOS can add or message on here :)
  • Lyric82
    Lyric82 Posts: 119
    Options
    I have PCOS and haven't found success for years..Currently I've lost 22lbs since Jan.1st and this is what I do..

1200 calories
    at least 100g of protein a day
    low sugar
    low carb
    work out 5 days a week (5 days - cardo for at least 45 min / weight training 3 days a week)
    at least 12 cups of water
    no soda
    no alcohol

CLEAN EATING IS THE WAY TO GO!!! GOOD LUCK :flowerforyou: