Teachers ... Unite!

Options
To the Teachers out there ... first off ... we rock! ... Secondly, how do you get in all your water (since we can't leave the classroom each time nature calls)? How do you get in all your food (with limited breaks and short lunches)? How do you say no when kids offer you snacks, parents bring in treats, PTA/PTO groups throw you breakfasts and lunches? How do you find time to work out?

Let's share some helpful teacher-tips!

Replies

• rainbobrite929
    Options
    Bump
  • kriztyn723
    Options
    I usually take the kids on bathroom break when I have to go as well.... I eat snack when they eat snack.. I just say no to the treats they bring in... I pretend they touch them with their sticky hands and I kind of lose my appetite with them... Now the PTO lunches... I fig those are rare so I will indulge.... the working out is the hardest... When I really don't feel like it because I am so exhausted I'll tell myself just 30 min!... and I usually feel better! :)
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Don't you have a T.A who cn grab you a drink when you feel thirsty? That's what I do....always ready to re-fill my teachers coffee cup! :drinker:
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    bump for later
  • RestartThisRight
    Options
    Hi! Not a teacher, but as for water, I think it depends on who youre teaching. I'm taking almost all AP classes this year, and those teachers just leave when they have to. I guess if it's younger students you cant do that, but I'm just throwing it out there
  • JLB05
    JLB05 Posts: 16
    Options
    Well I do have a bathroom in my class. It is not my first choice of bathrooms to use since my 1st graders use it, but when I have to go, I do what I have to do!!! When I first started drinking water I was in there a lot, but now my body has gotten used to it and I can actually wait for my breaks to use the teacher's lounge!

I am not sure what to do about the PTA treats that we get. They keep a candy jar stocked with chocolate everyday. I am a chocoholic!!! I use to walk into the lounge just to get the chocolate. I have since told myself I am no longer aloud to have any!! They are throwing us a cupcake tasting party on Friday. I am already starting to stress about this! We have an AWESOME PTA, but they feed us way too much! I blame them for most of my weight gain!!! I really didn't start gaining until I started working as a teacher! If they feed us, I will come!!!

I would love to have some teacher MFP friends so feel free to add me!!
  • djmauck
    djmauck Posts: 18
    Options
    As far as water goes, I haven't found a solution to that problem yet, and I still don't drink enough water. The food is easy to get in. I try to I come in early and have some breakfast, have a small lunch, and then a snack after my last class at 3:00. I bring food that I can eat quickly and doesn't require preparation. My standard lunch is lentils and brown rice and a nonfat plain Greek yogurt. For an afternoon snack I usually have some sort of bar (Kind+ is my favorite) and a piece of fruit.

I have plenty of time for working out, and though I am exhausted at the end of the day, I find myself looking forward to it more and more. It lets me get out all the stress that accumulates and I always feel better afterwards.

I teach music in a public high school in New York City, so I don't have the "problem" of students bringing me treats and PTO lunches :)
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    H2O=I keep a 32 ounce mug on my desk and force myself to finish it by noon at the latest. I fill it again and then make sure I drink the rest of it before I leave for the day.
    Bathroom breaks=I teach French in an elem. school, so when kids are transitioning or at recess, I can make a quick getaway. I usually try to go first thing when I get to work, once more in the AM, once at noon, and then once the kids are gone. It may seem weird to schedule in bathroom breaks but it makes it easier.
    Kid treats=I usually accept it with a boatload of thanks and then place it on my desk. Depending on how the day goes, I might indulge if it looks yummy (and I trust the kid's hands!) or pitch it when they are not looking.
    Surprises in the teachers' room=sometimes I allow myself a little something, sometimes I walk away. It just depends on the day, I guess.
    Hope this helps!
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We have an AWESOME PTA, but they feed us way too much! I blame them for most of my weight gain!!! I really didn't start gaining until I started working as a teacher! If they feed us, I will come!!!

My mother told me that working at my current school was not good for my waistline! =]
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    To the Teachers out there ... first off ... we rock! ... Secondly, how do you get in all your water (since we can't leave the classroom each time nature calls)? How do you get in all your food (with limited breaks and short lunches)? How do you say no when kids offer you snacks, parents bring in treats, PTA/PTO groups throw you breakfasts and lunches? How do you find time to work out?

Let's share some helpful teacher-tips!

WELLLLL, I teach middle school, so we have passing periods, and I can run out to use the bathroom, then. :) As for food, I just have things pre-packaged and ready to roll for the week... I have a little fridge in my classroom and I keep healthy snacks in a drawer w/in my file cabinet. :) As for saying no to kids and not eating the breakfasts/lunches that PTA brings in....I have found that (oddly) VERY easy. I just don't GO to the lounge when we have PIE day or when lunch is there...or when PTA or STUCCO brings food around, I just ask them politely to skip my room :) I WANT this more than anything, so it has become much easier to say no to the bad foods and YES to a thinner, healthier ME! :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I know lots of teachers leave older students unattended when nature calls. I strongly recommend against this. Older kids, even AP kids, can get in serious trouble when unattended, and the teacher is still held liable. Cover your *kitten* while you are shrinking it.
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I've been lucky enough that my plan time and my lunch allows me to get to the restroom when I need to go (I am lucky enough that my body gets into a routine pretty quickly!)

Regarding the food, I try pretty hard to take everything in moderation....the 20 lbs. Ive lost so far is a good incentive for me to have a little more self-control. I indulge a bit when I can. My 2 biggest challenges are stress eating and the fact that school lets out 3 hours after I have lunch and am more inclined to stress eat and make hasty and desperate food choices!

I work out a gym near school and I make it a priority to go at least 3 times a week. I am fortuntate that I have a very supportive team and other colleagues who support and encourage me!! That has made a HUGE difference!!

Best of luck to you and stay strong--only 29 days before the end of (my) the school year!!!
  • Bpothik13
    Bpothik13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I know lots of teachers leave older students unattended when nature calls. I strongly recommend against this. Older kids, even AP kids, can get in serious trouble when unattended, and the teacher is still held liable. Cover your *kitten* while you are shrinking it.

Good point. In those rare emergencies, I have a colleague next door who can keep an eye on my kids. Otherwise, the last thing a teacher wants to deal with is legal issues because someone made a bad choice in his/her absence!!
  • XaviNoelle
    Options
    This topic is RIGHT on time! I'm outside in a temp. building, and it is hard for me to run all the way inside to the teacher's RR... Teacher problems...lol
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    I first taught Elementary where I would have a TA watch the students when I had to go to the bathroom to a middle school setting where it is difficult to find a TA! We only have 3 minutes between classes so I pride myself on being able to sprint to the nearest bathroom in that time (the exercise adds up throughout the day). I have two refillable water bottles that I use daily (which equal to about 8 cups).
    As far as snacking, middle school is easier to control. Teaching elementary required snacks ALL the time and I would often indulge, too. When I reward my students with a treat of some sort, I make sure I am not hungry first (or allow for it). One day we had a cultural food adventure where we celebrated the end of our World Geography course with food samples from all over. That day was tough. lol. BUT I knew it was scheduled and planned my day accordingly. I think that planning is the most important part.
    I gradually got into a good exercise routine. I started out feeling really sluggish after work and procrastinating till it was too late in the evening. Now, I look forward to it. Luckily, our school has a fitness program where we hired zumba instructors and I go to those classes twice a week. I also have the zumba for xbox that I really like and a gazelle edge that I use in between. My boyfriend, son, and our dog all go for a walk together a couple of times a week, as well. We also like to ride bicycles together. Making it a family thing helps all of us. :)
    I try to make exercise an appointment with myself. As educators we care about our students and we need to make sure that we care for ourselves, as well.
    This was a lot longer than I intended. Whew! Anyhow, I like to share things that work for me. Hope that this helps you, too!
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This does not answer your question, but I just have to say I think it's ridiculous that teachers aren't given bathroom breaks. It's bad enough that you get paid close to nothing while being responsible for ultimately raising our nation's youth... talk about adding insult to injury.

(And yes, I'd pay more in taxes.)
  • evans72002
    evans72002 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is my food temptation mantra: better to go to waste than my waist!
  • Precious75134
    Precious75134 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I keep a 57oz bottle on my desk and am usually done with it by the end of the school day...Fortunately, my room is right next to the ladies room and I'm not going as often I had used too...By the time I really start chugging my water down it's my specials and lunch time which are back to back, so I get in restroom breaks. Working out has been great because my colleagues and I go to the same gym and work with the same trainers...It has been so much fun...We worked out last night from 7:00 to 8:30..We laughed and talked afterwards...It makes it so much easier this way...We do this at least 3 times a week and the rest of the time I exercise at home for 30 minutes. I often get to bed late so now I have to figure out how to get more rest so my muscles can repair...I take plenty of my own healthy snacks in my lunch box and nibble on things throughout the day.

None of this is easy but is interesting and fun so far...This is a lifetime change and I'm in this for the long haul so I am really trying to juggle everything so that one day I have it all in and it just becomes a simple routine...Right now it is still trial and error...

As teachers, we need to try to live as healthy as possible for the sake of our lives and family because our jobs are so stressful...Eating right and working out really helps to relieve some of this stress...Even though I have taken on the new lifestyle, I feel soooooooooooo much better...

Much love to all of you and good luck on your journey...Hats off to what you do, you are truly special people and no amount of appreciation could repay your for your dedication and hard work..

Have a Great Day!!!!
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm a substitute, and work mainly In School Suspension, just about every day. Sitting there in front of kids who are not allowed to talk, and have scheduled bathroom breaks, is very hard to do. I do bring healthy snacks to school, and as far as bathroom breaks, I just call the office and have them send someone to watch the kids while I take a break.
    When I'm working in a classroom, if I need to step out, I ask the teacher next door to keep an eye on the class while I'm gone. I usually put on a video for the smaller kids, and pick two students to take names while I'm away. The students know that I'm also the ISS teacher, and know that they do not want to be stuck in a room with me all day when they are in trouble.

PTA... I'm one of those guilty ones! I was very involved in PTA for several years, including being PTA President for a few years. Yes, we did a lot of luncheons for the teachers, but we also did make sure we had healthy choices out there as well. We did have a few teachers who brought their own lunches, or they would just use smaller plates. It's very hard to say no to all of those goodies, but it does get easier.
    Maybe your school staff members could have a weight loss contest. Everyone who wants to join pays $5. Everyone is weighed weekly, and the school nurse keeps track off all the weigh ins. The person who loses the most wins the pot.
  • lvondy
    lvondy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I teach middle school so my rules are a little more relaxed. I go to the bathroom between periods or if I need to go during class I ask the teacher beside me to keep an eye on my class. I also let my students eat healthy snacks in my room because I feel it is more healthy than to make them starve until lunch. So, I eat my healthy snacks during class with them. As for the PTO lunches, I let myself splurge a little but I track the calories the best I can and try to workout extra hard that day or the next. For student treats I do accept the treats and might take a bite but I don't eat it all. I feel it is better to take the treat and thank them than to hurt their feelings. With middle school students their confidence is at a very unstable phase so I try to build it up every chance I get. I also bring my lunch every day and I don't eat the cafeteria food. For working out I have just made it a habit and part of my daily routine. Oh and the treats in the Teacher's Lounge--I have learned to just stay away from there. Luckily there is a copy machine in my building so I don't have to go to the lounge often but when I do feel tempted I make myself walk away.