BMI is not accurate

Options
BMI is outdated and was created in the 1830's and was originally used to measure height to weight ratio across the population. It also doesn't consider fat composition, so please don't be too hard on yourself - it's unreliable.

Replies

• polaris8
    polaris8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree, and I take BMI with a grain of salt. It also seems to not make much sense if you're on either end of the height range. I'm 6'4"/194 cm and BMI tells me my "healthy" weight should be between 152 and 205 lbs / 69-93 kg. I have an average sized frame. I can't imagine someone my height, even with a small frame looking "healthy" at 175 lbs or less. BMI doesn't factor in frame size or what is proportional. It really gets skewed for anyone who is not the average.

It's just one of many tools out there though for tracking health and shouldn't be the only one to consider.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but BMI is a tool that should serve as a reality check. The range for a healthy BMI for my height is 34 pounds--from 111-145. Obese starts at 174.
    It is true that if you are very short (under 5') it doesn't work. If you are an elite athlete or have very little body fat it doesn't work.

BUT--if you an average ordinary person, it does give a good starting point for a goal weight.

Just because today's average person is very overweight or obese, and obesity in children is on the rise doesn't mean we should change the standard. Just because todays woman in the US is a size 14 (and vanity sized at that) doesn't mean it is ok for the future health costs to ourselves and our country.
    Just because in the past people were leaner and more active and fit doesn't mean we discount it.

Don't beat yourself up--feel good about any progress you make, but part of that is being realistic about where you should be. Every time we travel to otther countries I am aware how out of shape and fat (yes I used the F word) people are in my own country.
  • DianesTrev
    DianesTrev Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree, BMI is based on wt and ht, but not your body type(how you are built; small, medium or large frame). Not only that but how much muscle mass you have. Remember muscle weighs more than fat.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    BMI is a great way of realizing if you are morbidly obese and need a reality check. Other than that, it's way too simplistic...