What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options

Replies

• liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If I see someone who is overweight running, I am just as jealous as when I see a thin person running because it's great exercise and I just cannot get into it.

Run girl, don't let anyone who would be ignorant enough to stare or comment steal your joy.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I don't judge anyone for exercising! I don't care how big or small they are. :)
  • smily_001
    smily_001 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love to run. I know I don't look good when I do it but I'm doing it for me not anyone else. I am down 130lbs from my highest weight and still have over a 150lbs to go, at first I was lucky to walk 2.5 for 10 mins but now I am going 6.0 on the treadmill in 1 min burst and my slow speed is 3.0 and I do this for 30 mins. Anyways what I am saying be proud of what u are doing because u may be inspiering that person by you, thin or overweight, but even more do it for yourself.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If I see anyone run, overweight or not, I think, "I wish I was doing that!"

Ditto! As others have said, most of our self-consciousness comes from within. Don't worry about what others think - do it for yourself!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My idea on overweight runners?

Well for every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back....thats an injury waiting to happen.
    It also throws off your stride as well as adding potential damage to your feet.
    Walk fast instead of running till you can get the BF% down then if you need the CV work then start running.
    You can lose a ton of weight with a 20 min daily walk.
    Again... I call shenanigans.

I second your shenanigans.

So do I - with that argument, you might as well tell fat people to stop moving, they might injure themselves....:angry:
    Be sensible, be carefull, wear good shoes and take it easy!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see someone bigger than me or in worse shape than me running, they amaze me. I think they're the coolest thing ever.
  • CrazyLazyStylist
    CrazyLazyStylist Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I "run"...I used to do it in a secluded park with minimal viewers, then I got the F them attitude...Been at the cool kids park since, and was welcomed. Some people I see there all the time and we say hi, some ignore, but no one ever said anything bad (unless I was breathing too hard to hear them :) ) no really, I wear huge headphones and am so concentrated on not stopping that I am the only person I am thinking about when running!

Make it do what it do girl!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I "run"...I used to do it in a secluded park with minimal viewers, then I got the F them attitude...Been at the cool kids park since, and was welcomed. Some people I see there all the time and we say hi, some ignore, but no one ever said anything bad (unless I was breathing too hard to hear them :) ) no really, I wear huge headphones and am so concentrated on not stopping that I am the only person I am thinking about when running!

Make it do what it do girl!

Actually, you have hit the nail on the head there! Regarding having earphones in and playing music, sort of takes the self-consciousness away from the runner as they are busy listening to the music.

Just last night, I sorted out my music and stuck suitable songs into a new folder in my i-pod that will be used specifically for training and races. I had too many slow songs in there and only wanted upbeat, jiggy songs to keep me in my stride hehe
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    My idea on overweight runners?

Well for every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back....thats an injury waiting to happen.
    It also throws off your stride as well as adding potential damage to your feet.
    Walk fast instead of running till you can get the BF% down then if you need the CV work then start running.
    You can lose a ton of weight with a 20 min daily walk.
    Again... I call shenanigans.

I second your shenanigans.

So do I - with that argument, you might as well tell fat people to stop moving, they might injure themselves....:angry:
    Be sensible, be carefull, wear good shoes and take it easy!
    All that's done is made me want to train that much harder for a half to show people that I can do it. Pisses me off to no end when people say I shouldn't do it because I'm a big guy.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I would think that is awesome and wish it was me, because I am overweight and I have a fear of running outside.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I admire them for getting out and doing something. And hope they feel the same about me.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until i'm able to jog properly. I don't plan on doing any further jogging until i'm at least 15kgs lighter than I am now, as my knees are bad enough so i don't want to put them under any additional strain.

Good on those who can run tho! Am always jealous of those who can :)
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Since I was an overweight runner at one time I cheer on overweight runners. Running is such a great way to burn fat and to condition your lungs and heart.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think if they can run so can I! Maybe some people are taken back in a good way? Or surprised. Everyone has to start somewhere, I think it's great! Keep on going!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    When I see an obese person running, the first thing I think is "Ouch! That must hurt their joints."

The second thing I think is how excited I am for them that they're getting active, and that I really hope it works for them.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I think they are going to be less obese in the very near future.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I say ignore the haters!!!!!!! I love it when overweight people are running or walking or doing anything for exercise :) Makes me smile and feel proud for them! If you are on the beach in a bikini and eating doritos, i may frown, but if you are working hard, go for it and give it all ya got!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Anytime I see an overweight person running, biking, walking, whatever I think "good for them!"
  • Alarista
    Alarista Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I see someone who is doing what they want to do and damn all the judgment. You should be proud.
  • Nikkei24
    Nikkei24 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If I cared what everyone else was thinking I would probably never do anything. When I'm laying on my death bed I don't want to look back and think I didn't run because I thought people would think eww look at that fat girl running. F em. The only opionons I care about are mine and Gods.