Natural - non medicated relief for allergies

Options
I'm now starting to experience allergies, I'm almost 30 years old and have never really had them. I'm miserable.

I'm wanting to take the non-medication approach. I feel like crap lately and seem to catch every single sniffle, cough and yuck that is out there. I'm usually a fluffy, healthy person.

My guy friend takes nothing, is overweight, eats like crap, and never catches anything. If he does he's down for the count, but bounces right back. He says I take a pill for too many things.

Other than the occasional immodium, for the obvious, and tylenol for headaches....I only take what a doctor gives me, and if I go to the doctor, it's because I'm on the verge of dying....

Any thoughts/suggestions.

Also, if you have the cure all that helps you wake up in the morning not feeling like a MAC truck hit you (that doesn't involve coffee) please feel free to fling that my way too. :)

THanks!

Replies

• tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've heard that eating local honey will help allergies, I haven't tried it yet since I can't find local honey in my area, but it makes sense it would work.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    nothing natural works for me.. gotta have some kind of medication like benadryl and such
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    A study done in New Orleans found that taking 2 tsp. of local honey helped with allergies. It depends on if they are pollen related or not. I have allergies year round now... dust/pollen/mold... I tried the honey but usually end up taking Claritin because it helps with indoor & outdoor allergies.

Some people also like to use neti pots to clear their nasal passages. It's a strange sensation... it can help nasal allergies but it's not convenient.
  • hokirayo
    hokirayo Posts: 36
    Options
    neti pot

&/or

sinus rinse

&

staying hydrated throughout the day.

none of these is a panacea, but they can alleviate some of your discomfort.
  • hoffman1990
    hoffman1990 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hi, this helps us:

local honey
    6 oz of warm water
    1-2 tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar in the raw (brags brand)

drink 5 times a day for as long as you need it.

showers every night to wash the pollen off your hair

frequent washes of linens-- even your pillow

when you have allergies, you become even more sensitive to other allergens.

try not to wear gel in your hair, as its a magnet for pollen

also mascara also catches the pollen

google dr. oz, he did a whole show on natural remedies for allergies

it works.
  • hoffman1990
    hoffman1990 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    neti pot

&/or

sinus rinse

&

make sure you use clean bottled water. NEVER TAP WATER
  • Rhami1
    Rhami1 Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm interested in this too...I feel like I'm dying, ugh!
  • iamkateiam
    iamkateiam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Not that this is super helpful, but I am also almost 30 and have allergies for the first time. We moved from NE to MO 4 years ago and that's when the allergies started. I guess there is something in MO that just isn't in NE. I remember growing up my mom always drank a nettle tea and said it helped with allergies, but I've never tried it. If you find something that works- let us know!

As far as waking up goes, my hubby swears by a morning jog. I, myself, am not a morning runner- but it's something you could try!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I use this stuff called "Ocean Spray" when I have sinus issues. I think it's basically just saline, but it is AMAZING!

It's in the nasal spray aisle.
  • achapman01
    achapman01 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do a saline rinse with a neti pot before I go to bed, which seems to help with allergies quite a bit, especially if you've been exposed to something during the day, like smoke or dust. I found that if I do the rinse in the morning, it can cause nasal drip during the day. Hence the suggestion to do it right before bed. It only takes about two minutes. :) if things get too bad, like when I am around mold, I take half an over the counter med, like Zyrtec. Sam's Club sells their own version of Zyrtec for very cheap.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    neti pot

&/or

sinus rinse

&

make sure you use clean bottled water. NEVER TAP WATER

I third the neti pot! Sprays never work for me, it just gets stuck in the boogs and never gets anywhere :p But as stated, definitely make sure it is sterile water . Distilled, sterile or previously boiled water. You can make your own solution with about .5tsp of salt and a dash of baking soda to keep the burning down, but only use a little otherwise you might end up with a nose full of baking soda crust :p

You can even use a regular squeeze bottle if you don't have a pot! http://www.ehow.com/how_7822447_use-bottle-instead-neti-pot.html
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Not that this is super helpful, but I am also almost 30 and have allergies for the first time. We moved from NE to MO 4 years ago and that's when the allergies started. I guess there is something in MO that just isn't in NE. I remember growing up my mom always drank a nettle tea and said it helped with allergies, but I've never tried it. If you find something that works- let us know!

As far as waking up goes, my hubby swears by a morning jog. I, myself, am not a morning runner- but it's something you could try!

Ha ha I moved from MO to IA, but that was 10 years ago so I guess there's no excuse.
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Allergies were killing me. I'm not even joking. It was bad to the point I had sores in my mouth every spring, couldn't eat anything without my mouth itching. I had urticaria. Benadryl or Allegra-over the counter stuff like that wasn't enough I had to take Atarax+Nasonex.
    I had chronic sinusitis and ended up having surgery.

But 5 years ago I had to drastically changed my life because I had an allergic reaction to pretty much the last antibiotic I could take to cure my sinusitis (Biaxin).
    So now I'm careful.
    First of all, it's better to take a shower before going to bed. Dont forget to wash or brush your hair vigorously so you don't end up putting pollen all over your bed.
    Like you shower yourself, "shower your nose" to get rid of the pollen: nasal spray, neti pot, whatever you like. Personnally, I like Sinus Rinse.
    I take Grapefruit seeds extract (oil) in my water. I don't know exactly why but it helped. I told my Dr and he said I wasn't the first telling him that.

I tried honey it didn't helped me at all.
    When allergies get very bad I am sorry but I wouldn't do without Nasonex. In my case it's just because my sinuses would blocked if I don't use that.
    Also I prefer to use Benadryl as it works really fast and only lasts for 4 hours.

With allergies I really think you have to try and learn.
    If your allergies get very bad you should get desensitization shots. I had them and worked miracles for those end of summer allergies.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    You want to do as much possible to aid your immune system- Increase nutrients/decrease toxins and if stressed, learn ways to relax. Other than that, I highly recommend honey/Apple cider vinegar in tea/ warm water in the morning. If you can find the book the best natural cures on Earth (Library or health food store) they have a quick read section about nutritionally (vitamin supplementation) treating allergies along with a million other things. I love that book.
  • iamkateiam
    iamkateiam Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Ha ha I moved from MO to IA, but that was 10 years ago so I guess there's no excuse.

It's only a 3.5 hour drive, but there must be enough of a difference in plant life here!