Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options
1202122232426»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate how many calories you burn in a workout if you don't rely on HR?

I don't. I have an accurate calorie deficit setup and that's it.
  • mantisnd
    mantisnd Posts: 8
    Options
    That's great. But for me i need to know an accurate count of calories I burn in a workout. I don't trust a canned number. No two people/workouts are the same. MFP exercises i think are meant to be a guideline. Alot of people were complaining in the thread how MFP overestimates calories burned. For me it actually is too low on most exercises. Hence the HR monitor.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    That's great. But for me i need to know an accurate count of calories I burn in a workout. I don't trust a canned number. No two people/workouts are the same. MFP exercises i think are meant to be a guideline. Alot of people were complaining in the thread how MFP overestimates calories burned. For me it actually is too low on most exercises. Hence the HR monitor.

A canned number? I don't track exercise at all, not sure what you're talking about. I enter my food, that's it.
  • lnguyen578
    Options
    I've been eating back my exercise calories this week and this morning my scale said I dropped 3 pounds... I think its lying to me because I've been on a really slow weight loss and this sudden drop is just weird (maybe its my sodium intake?). I'll continue on with it for the rest of the month and see my results. ^__^
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I go by the estimates provided by MFP, the treadmill at the gym (when I'm stuck indoors), or Runkeeper. And using those estimates gave me the results I wanted, so they're accurate enough for me.

Trial and error. It's the most effective way to find what works for you.
  • stargazer424
    Options
    Oh boy...by this I have been significantly under eating...

So by this line of thought, you should get as close to 0 calories remaining without going over?

I have been on MFP for about 6 weeks and I consistently have a lot of calories remaining. Sure some days I go over but at the end of the week I have on 2100 - 2500 calories remaining. I have already lost ~9 pounds and I'm not looking to lose too much. I have been eating healthier, but maybe I need MORE food (healthy food, of course)...

Edit: Time to get a snack... :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    So by this line of thought, you should get as close to 0 calories remaining without going over?

Yes, but going over is ok, too, since you'll still be in a calorie deficit.
  • Seanb_us
    Seanb_us Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Right. Trial and error. I assume MFP overestimates the calories I burn on the elliptical. I assume MFP and I underestimate the calories I actually eat. So ... I try to leave some padding with those assumptions in mind.

I don't have a HRM. I don't fancy having to strap that stuff across my very sweaty chest when I go to workout ... I just want to work out.

I don't weigh my food. I estimate based on container size or whatnot.

MFP has me on a 1200 per day calorie intake. That's about 800 under my maintenance intake. If I exercise, I never go over and I eat back some of my calories, but never all (I aim for 33-50%). On days I do not work out, I always go over my 1200, by 3-400. I figure I'm still doing okay with that.

So, trial and error.
  • mantisnd
    Options
    you can get one that goes on your wrist.
  • Seanb_us
    Options

I know and read on here they are not that accurate. Should I really bother with it? The elliptical at the gym asks my age, weight and takes my heartrate. Is a wrist HRM going to be much different?

Cheers,

Sean
  • funny_w
    funny_w Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm so glad to have come across this, I've been struggling with trying to figure out how many calories I should eat. I'll try this and see how it works :)
  • mantisnd
    Options

I know and read on here they are not that accurate. Should I really bother with it? The elliptical at the gym asks my age, weight and takes my heartrate. Is a wrist HRM going to be much different?

Cheers,

Sean

No that would be just as accurate as a monitor so in your case I would not bother. Just check ur hr every min or two to keep it more accurate.
  • Seanb_us
    Options
    Thanks! :smile:

Cheers,

Sean

No that would be just as accurate as a monitor so in your case I would not bother. Just check ur hr every min or two to keep it more accurate.
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am a bit skeptical, did the research and only the minority of the science community believe this. My theory is that to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat, right? What is our fat, it is energy that has been stored. So if we burn all the calories we ate and we need energy are body will get it from our fat. It will get energy from muscle as a last resort, once all fat is gone. As for the exercise it is not as simple as our metabolism rises, we build muscle and muscle burns more energy thus resulting in the fact that we can eat a bit more without gaining weight, it more complicated than this but this is what it comes down to.

And from the creator of this topic I quote, "the more calories she eats, the more her metabolism is raised". Does this make any sense. Really if that was true I would not be overweight. I would have a metabolism that was impossibly quick.

My dieticianist laughed at this topic saying it was counter productive, and I am inclined to believe her seeing as I have lost 20 pounds thus far with her help.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am a bit skeptical, did the research and only the minority of the science community believe this. My theory is that to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you eat, right? What is our fat, it is energy that has been stored. So if we burn all the calories we ate and we need energy are body will get it from our fat. It will get energy from muscle as a last resort, once all fat is gone. As for the exercise it is not as simple as our metabolism rises, we build muscle and muscle burns more energy thus resulting in the fact that we can eat a bit more without gaining weight, it more complicated than this but this is what it comes down to.

And from the creator of this topic I quote, "the more calories she eats, the more her metabolism is raised". Does this make any sense. Really if that was true I would not be overweight. I would have a metabolism that was impossibly quick.

My dieticianist laughed at this topic saying it was counter productive, and I am inclined to believe her seeing as I have lost 20 pounds thus far with her help.

The problem is, your dietician doesn't use the same formula that MFP does. THis is a common misunderstanding on here.
    And technically, she does have you "eat back" your exercise calories, just in a different way. Most dieticians will figure your BMR, then account for your daily life and anticipated activity level. They then create a deficit from that. So your exercise calories are built into the equation, but you still eat more than someone else the same size who is less active.
    MFP figures your BMR, then accounts for daily life, but not exercise. That is why they tell you to eat the calories back.
    I have figured mine both ways and I pretty much end up in the same place.
    Even if you eat what MFP suggests, then eat the calories from exercise, you are still at a deficit with MFP's numbers. you are still burning less than you eat.
    Ex - if I figure my TDEE minus 20% I get around 1600 (not exact just to make math easier). That 11, 200 for the week.
    If I follow MFP, I get a little over 1400 a day. With exercise, eating back the calories, I'm around 1700. At 5 days of 1700, and two days of 1400, that takes me to 11,300. for the week.

By all means, follow what your nutritionist suggests, however, it does not necessary mean MFP is wrong either. Its simply two different paths to the same end.
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options

The problem is, your dietician doesn't use the same formula that MFP does. THis is a common misunderstanding on here.
    And technically, she does have you "eat back" your exercise calories, just in a different way. Most dieticians will figure your BMR, then account for your daily life and anticipated activity level. They then create a deficit from that. So your exercise calories are built into the equation, but you still eat more than someone else the same size who is less active.
    MFP figures your BMR, then accounts for daily life, but not exercise. That is why they tell you to eat the calories back.
    I have figured mine both ways and I pretty much end up in the same place.
    Even if you eat what MFP suggests, then eat the calories from exercise, you are still at a deficit with MFP's numbers. you are still burning less than you eat.
    Ex - if I figure my TDEE minus 20% I get around 1600 (not exact just to make math easier). That 11, 200 for the week.
    If I follow MFP, I get a little over 1400 a day. With exercise, eating back the calories, I'm around 1700. At 5 days of 1700, and two days of 1400, that takes me to 11,300. for the week.

By all means, follow what your nutritionist suggests, however, it does not necessary mean MFP is wrong either. Its simply two different paths to the same end.

First note that I never said that MFP was wrong, MFP calculates your calorie goal based on how quickly you want to lose weight.

Ex. Mine was 2000 calories meaning if I had a net calorie of 2000 I would have a 750 calorie deficit, equaling 1.5 pounds per week. But if I exercised and lost 250 calories and did NOT eat it back I would have a 1000 deficit, which is 2 pounds. Increasing my deficit. Thus losing an extra 0.5 pounds why would I then eat my exercise away. Like I said counter intuitive, as long as you eat the minimum of 1200.

Technically she does not have me eat back my calories, she gives me the nourishment my body needs and still lose weight. Any exercise I do just boosts the process and was never accounted for seeings as I have an unpredictable schedule and exercise only when I can.

And I can eat the same as a person with my stats that is only less active the only result will be that I lose weight quicker.

Also I think you meant to say in your 11th line that your burn more than you eat otherwise it would not be a deficit.
    But my point was that you can lose weight quicker by not eating your calories back as long as you stay healthy.