I told my weight to a coworker...

Options
For good reason, I thought! But now I am remorseful and feeling bad about myself.

She is the reason I found MFP a year ago. She constantly compares her body to mine... I think because we are the same height and she perceives us as the same size. I am confident that I weigh more than her because she has always told me her weight. Finally today, I just blurted out how much I weigh, and needless to say... she was really surprised. She said, "wow, you don't look like you weigh that much at all."

I know she wasn't trying to be mean, but when she complains about her weight, which is a good 10lbs lighter than me...it doesn't feel good. She even went on to tell me the weight of another coworker who she thought weighed more than us, but who in fact weighs less!

I think what bothers me most is that now she knows my weight and I asked her repeatedly not to tell anyone else... but clearly should so easily told me about someone else's weight.

I believe that the number on the scale should not fully define my success. But I get frustrated when something like this happens.

I am 5' 8" and weigh 154lbs. I want to weigh 140-145lbs and maintain that weigh consistently.

I don't feel far away or like that's unattainable... but this was a bit of a downer this morning.

Feel free to comment.... I know I'm just being sensitive, but I didn't like the way she made me feel.

Replies

• knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    I have ALWAYS weighed more than what people think I do...even as a teenager, in really good shape. Its okay!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with 5'8 and 154?! That's in a healthy range.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I was 154 all year so far and I'm 4 inches shorter than you. I felt decent, a little big but not upset. I can imagine being taller I would feel good. You are in a healthy range, why the troubles?
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've always weighed more than people thought I did too, it bites but I chalk it up to muscle. :)
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I always weighed more than my sister and she is taller and bigger than me but it's because I have a curvier body shape.... My thighs and butt are bigger than hers which is where I carry most of my weight... She has no butt and has chicken legs, we always make fun of eachother.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Same here -- people look at me like i'm nuts when I tell them I'm 147lbs and I'm 5'3" :)
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    At 5ft 8 and 154 you are well within a normal weight.........don't let the scale define you, feel good in your skin and move on!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you all that at 154lbs at 5'8" is just fine!

It's not so much the number as how she made me feel... or I should say, how I let her make me feel. Clearly I needed to toughen up a bit, LOL! :smile:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more than people think you do, it's because you LOOK smaller. I like when people think I weigh less than I do!

Trust me, it's a good thing. :flowerforyou:
  • bedinky1207
    bedinky1207 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and weigh 147. Back when I was over 200 pounds I use to get the wow, you don't like you weigh that much. But at our height we distribute the weight a lot better. :) Don't worry about it!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    you may be the same height but your body composition may be different even if you weigh the same or 10 lbs different.

I wouldn't let it bother me. Body composition is what matters.

There was a website a couple of years back that asked women to send in pictures and it had women who weighed the same but looked totally different. google it. Mabye I can find it.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

It's not so much the number as how she made me feel... or I should say, how I let her make me feel. Clearly I needed to toughen up a bit, LOL! :smile:

That's my goal weight...I think if I'm any smaller I will look sick! I'm 5'8 by the way!
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    The number on the scale is much less important than how you feel about how you look. Don't let anyone get you down!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    www.mybodygallery.com

edited to add I would love to have your height and weight.:flowerforyou:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Psh it is muscle mass. I'm 5'4" and weigh 135 pounds but I am only about 20% body fat and wear about a size 2. My weight sounds high for my size and I REPEATEDLY get told I look like I weigh 105-115. Everyone has different body structures and body fat percentage is a better indicator of body mass :smile:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with 5'8 and 154?! That's in a healthy range.
    Yes, I'm 5' 8" and that's the very lowest end of my target weight, I'm shooting for 161lb first!

Besides, looking like you weigh less than you do is a good thing, right? Just ask all the lady heavy weight lifters here who've put on pounds but lost inches to have their best bodies ever and wear a smaller dress size.

I think your colleague felt bad about saying she weighed that much and probably only said so because she thought you were slimmer and just feels bad for herself.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Exactly :) Don't allow HER insecurities to become YOUR insecurities. You're doing just fine.
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    I've never been shy or ashamed about my weight. The number at least. I always get surprised when I ask someone their weight and they get all whispery and shifty-eyed lol. (I have to ask at work quite often.) I mean, the number doesn't matter. If I weigh 200 pounds, people are going to know I'm overweight by looking at me. It doesn't matter if I tell them I weigh 180 or 220, I'll still LOOK the same. I've just never understood it. Or the age thing.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Also, by looking at your pics, YOU LOOK AMAZING!!! I would think you were much lighter than you are because of how flat your stomach is. But you look lighter because you are more muscle than fat, a VERY big plus!

O, and 154 is about what I hope to be at once I'm ready to maintain. And you make it look awesome, m'dear!
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad---I think that the important message is that weight is less important than how we feel! Weight depends on so many things, not only fat but muscle and bone density (it's definitely a good thing to have strong bones).

I do feel you on the weight-obsessed friend, though. It can be hard, but try not to get caught up in her own self-image struggles. I find that comparing myself to others only makes me feel inadequate, so I try not to do it (it's hard not to, though!).