Does EVERYONE need 8 glasses....

Options
of water each day? The last couple weeks I have been really good about drinking it....I primarily drink it at work, usually finishing my last glass around 4. I'll drink some at night like with dinner or just if I am thirsty, but all of my "I'm drinking just to drink" gets done at work.

I can deal with running to the bathroom all day, but waking up in pain is really starting to get annoying. I always use the bathroom right before bed, but ever since I started drinking all of my water, I wake up feeling like my bladder is going to burst. Sure I've always had to use the bathroom when I wake up, but since I've been drinking so much water, the discomfort/pain will actually keep me from sleeping the last few minutes.

So does EVERYONE need so much water? Would I still benefit just as much or not much less if I cut it down to 3/4 or half of that amount?

Replies

• busymom74
    busymom74 Posts: 3,341 Member
    Options
    Actually you should be drinking half your weight in ounces. So if I weigh 177 divided in half is 88.5 so I need 88.5 oz which is about 11 or so 8 oz glasses.

I've also heard you should drink more water for every lb you want to lose but I'm not sure what the ratio is.

The more you drink water the more your body will get used to it. I was the same way but now I don't have to go nearly as often and I'm drinking 114 oz or more some days.

Keep chuggin away, it will get better. :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    crap..So I have to drink about 125 oz of water.....:sick: :huh: :huh: so thats like 13 glasses of 8oz of water...phew..lol
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Watch for a water challenge - I'll start one again monday! You set your goal and update throughout the day on your progress - it's fun and it always helps me be accountable for what I should drink.

I've heard 64 plus another 8 per 10 pounds you want to lose - so if you want to lose 20 pounds...64+8+8=80
  • busymom74
    Options
    lol yea, but think of it like this, if you have the bottled water it's only 6 and a half bottles. :wink:
  • busymom74
    Options
    I LOVE :love: chrissy's water challenges! It makes it so much more fun.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I drink close to a gallon of water a day
  • chickalistic
    chickalistic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I drank tons and tons of water when I first started my plan. I was losing weight and not feeling so hungry all the time. Then I got tired of drinking so much and having to pee all night, so I cut back to around 32 oz. a day. Bad idea. The scale wasn't budging and I was snacking more than I should.

Once I started drinking the water again, my clothes and the scale thanked me. Sometimes I have to just not think about it and chug a half a bottle at a time (I refill water bottles at home). Even though I prefer water over any kind of beverage, it's even hard for me. I think it's definitely worth getting it down the hatch, though. :wink:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    You all might not agress but I've heard this more than once. Here is an interesting article to read about to much water & that :

Strange but True: Drinking Too Much Water Can Kill
    In a hydration-obsessed culture, people can and do drink themselves to death.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

I have around 6 or so bottles of 17 ounces of water per day.:drinker:
  • frogtoestoo
    Options

I've heard that numerous times as well, BUT, also that not enough water causes your body to RETAIN water. Kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenerio. :frown: I try to go with the 64 oz of water in general in addition to black coffee, diet soda (BAD, I KNOW) and skim milk. Still, If my sodium intake is too high, I stop losing/gain a little for a few days in spite of exercising and staying in my calorie range. It has to be water, right? (or maybe some new muscle mass). It is frustrating. Too bad our bodies can't just BEHAVE. Of course, my pets and children don't either.......:ohwell:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You all might not agress but I've heard this more than once. Here is an interesting article to read about to much water & that :

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=strange-but-true-drinking-too-much-water-can-kill

Yes, people can, and do, drink themselves to death. But you have to drink ALOT of water. Spreading 64 - 128 oz of water throughout the day will not kill any healthy adult! If you drank it in like 30 minutes, maybe.
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Most of the glasses I have in my house hold a little over 16 oz. of water each. The "glasses" of water everyone refers to are based on a standard 8 oz glass, which equals a cup.

I wonder if you're unintentionally drinking twice as much as you're supposed to if you're literally drinking "glasses" of water. Get out the old Pyrex measuring cup and double check to see if you're measuring correctly.

Good luck!
  • chickalistic
    chickalistic Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Absolutely correct. That's the reason I stick to refilling bottles of water.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Most of the glasses I have in my house hold a little over 16 oz. of water each. The "glasses" of water everyone refers to are based on a standard 8 oz glass, which equals a cup.

I wonder if you're unintentionally drinking twice as much as you're supposed to if you're literally drinking "glasses" of water. Get out the old Pyrex measuring cup and double check to see if you're measuring correctly.

Good luck!

No, I have a bottle that is 32oz and I drink two a day (in addition to what I may drink at dinner or after working out). Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Yes, people can, and do, drink themselves to death. But you have to drink ALOT of water. Spreading 64 - 128 oz of water throughout the day will not kill any healthy adult! If you drank it in like 30 minutes, maybe.

Yeah I think the people who are most likely at risk for that would be like a marathon runner or iron man or something that would cause someone to down a LOT of water in a short amount of time. Or like the contestent on the radio (I forget where) that was trying to drink the most amount of water to win tickets or something.
  • kimberjones
    Options
    I have a 32 oz water bottle that I usually fill and drink 3x a day. Sometimes, especially on hot days or during/after exercise, I will drink more.

People can and do drink themselves to death but, if I'm not mistaken, that is from signifcant amounts of water being taken over a very short time period.

:flowerforyou:
  • ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Consider the foods you eat in the evening. Are they natural diuretics? If so, then that might explain the early morning kidney call. :smile:
  • Demetria
    Demetria Posts: 178
    Options
    I try not to drink water after 8pm so that I won't have to get up as much to use the restroom. But I still drink all that I should during the day.

Demetria
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, you also get water from the foods you eat....
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I, personally, don't think that everyone needs that much water per day (Dr Oz agrees :tongue: ), but I still aim for 64 oz because that's what's been drilled into my head since I was a teenager.