I told my weight to a coworker...

Options

Replies

• sara1923
    sara1923 Posts: 53
    Options
    mybodygallery.com
    seriously go look at how different people of your weight can look and it may make you feel better. I weigh 130 and have some of the same frustrations. I like to think of it as being "fat skinny" instead of the whole "skinny fat". She most likely didnt mean it as an insult. The other coworker who weighed less than she expected them too may have lied about their weight. There are so many things to consider in this but more so you should consider how this person is making you feel. I know you said you might be acting sensitive but if she continues to make you feel bad. It might be a good idea to limit contact with her and try to surround yourself with people who have a positive effect on you
  • Sandra1962
    Options
    I think you are right? I think it is a great weight for her heighth. Sounds like the coworker has self image issues and I wouldn't worry about what others think. Keep up the good work.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you all that at 154lbs at 5'8" is just fine!

It's not so much the number as how she made me feel... or I should say, how I let her make me feel. Clearly I needed to toughen up a bit, LOL! :smile:

so maybe next time she complains about her (lower than your) weight, just mention "well I am freaking awesome, and I'm heavier than you, so I'm not sure what you are complaining about - you must be awesome, too!"

glad to see you are doing ok with yourself. I know it is tough when other people poke at your feelings (even if they don't mean to)
  • marilu3
    marilu3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi... don't feel at all bad about yourself--feel bad for her--she feels the need to compare herself and others and to talk about it... that's not a great quality in a person, and shows her own insecurities Weight has so much more to do with bone density, muscle mass, etc. You are the weight that I'm hoping to get to :). I think you should tell her that your biggest concern is that you're healthy and feel good about yourself--that you can do the things you want. I agree with the others... taller women distribute weight different.
    No worries... you're doing great!
  • Pucker508
    Pucker508 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You all are fantastic... I really appreciate the words of encouragement!

Thank you MFP friends!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Obviously, everyone's weight matter to this lady. she may have less muscle mass than yourself which is why she weighs less than you and the other person. I always weigh more than people think because I have quite a bit of muscle mass on me (5'4" at 120 lb). anyway, you shouldn't let this person who obsesses over a ridiculous number bother you.
  • djean2
    djean2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    "You don't look like you weigh that much" is a good thing. "Is that all you weigh? I thought you would weigh more than that." Now that would be a bad thing.

We do tend to be sensitive about our weight. But you are in normal range for your height, you are within 10lbs of your desired weight and you look like you weigh less than you actually do......You are in a good place.
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    1st) Stop caring what other people think about you. If they don't like you the way you are, well truthfully they're not people that matter.

2nd) 5'8 and 154 is not unhealthy and a lot of people strive to get to that!

Lastly) Make lemonade!

Good luck to you and healthy journey!

15676875.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    She sounds like trouble. Don't focus on her insecuity-based comments. You are at MY GOAL. Today is a good day. Just look out for yourself.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    people should think before they speak, now only if they had a filter on their mouths LOL
    Im heavier then what most think and always have been now Im not in a healthy place right now as Im 5.6 and 220 but I use to be 160 and looked like I was (according to people) 115 or 120, now that is my goal to be 150-160 and have a long way to go but Im determind to get there, just do the filtering for the people that have no idea what they say hurts.:wink:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Maybe the other co-worker isn't as sensitive about her weight as you so the person you spoke to didn't feel she was betraying a confidence. As you do feel strongly, you should speak to your co-worker and tell her that you consider your weight confidential information.

You've learned that people carry their weight differently, and you can't always guess someone's weight just from looking (a doctor or trainer probably could). You're happy with your progress, that's what matters.

In the future, don't disclose things about which you feel sensitive.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    "You don't look like you weigh that much" is a good thing. "Is that all you weigh? I thought you would weigh more than that." Now that would be a bad thing.

We do tend to be sensitive about our weight. But you are in normal range for your height, you are within 10lbs of your desired weight and you look like you weigh less than you actually do......You are in a good place.

I didn't think it was necessarily a negative comment. And it did occur in a discussion about weight loss.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you all that at 154lbs at 5'8" is just fine!

It's not so much the number as how she made me feel... or I should say, how I let her make me feel. Clearly I needed to toughen up a bit, LOL! :smile:

It's all a matter of perspective. If someone told me they thought I weighed less, I'd take it as a compliment! I'd think, "Hell, yeah, I look good!"

Weighing more than you look is certainly better than weighing less than you look.
  • TIDDYBEAR
    TIDDYBEAR Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think "you don't look like you weigh that much" is a compliment! I hear that alot. I don't look like I weigh as much as I do because I am big boned. I like it!
  • Doomfrog
    Doomfrog Posts: 79
    Options
    I think "you don't look like you weigh that much" is a compliment! I hear that alot. I don't look like I weigh as much as I do because I am big boned. I like it!

This. When people say that to me, I'm like, "Damn skippy!" I've got lots of weight to lose, but I'm chock fully of muscle. I take it as a compliment. It's just a number. Now if someone said, "Wow, I would have guessed you were AT LEAST 20 pounds heavier than that," I might have an issue.
  • nvestli
    nvestli Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more than people think you do, it's because you LOOK smaller. I like when people think I weigh less than I do!

Trust me, it's a good thing. :flowerforyou:

Absolutely - as is people thinking you're younger! Take it for the compliment it is and keep going with your efforts. Also, I totally agree with the muscle weighing more than fat thing so next time when someone is surprised just say "yeah I'm still working on the massive muscles thing but they're getting there" and laugh it off :smile:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Obviously, everyone's weight matter to this lady. she may have less muscle mass than yourself which is why she weighs less than you and the other person. I always weigh more than people think because I have quite a bit of muscle mass on me (5'4" at 120 lb). anyway, you shouldn't let this person who obsesses over a ridiculous number bother you.

PERFECT EXAMPLE -- above quote user - you look pretty fit and small in your photo and we are the same height and I weigh 27lbs more than you

to the topic poster ---take it as a compliment that she thinks you look smaller than what you weigh :)
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    Options
    What's wrong with 5'8 and 154?! That's in a healthy range.
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with 5'8 and 154?! That's in a healthy range.

This!

I know how you feel. I have a couple of friends like this and it drives me BATTY. I just avoid the topic with them. After all, they care more about what they weigh than what you weigh.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i had a friend who was tall and absolutely gorgeous and one of those stick figure types that looked like she didn't have an ounce of fat on her body. She told me she weighed 155 lbs. I didn't believe her. To the point that she got on a scale to prove it to me. She really did weigh that much. And i noticed it did bug her when I said "I can't believe you weigh that much!"

But hey. In this case (and probalby in yours) it was true. I genuinely expected her to be in the 120's. She was that thin. But I guess she had some solid muscle on her!

So my point is, don't let what hte other person said make you feel bad. She probably actually means it, like I did with my friend. Numbers don't mean anythign when compared between people, it only matters when you compare it with yourself.