I told my weight to a coworker...

Options

Replies

• bhaktinstella
    bhaktinstella Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad---I think that the important message is that weight is less important than how we feel! Weight depends on so many things, not only fat but muscle and bone density (it's definitely a good thing to have strong bones).

I do feel you on the weight-obsessed friend, though. It can be hard, but try not to get caught up in her own self-image struggles. I find that comparing myself to others only makes me feel inadequate, so I try not to do it (it's hard not to, though!).

i totally agree here -- change the subject or walk away with a "gotta go work!"!
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' and 162. your point? no one ever thinks I weigh the amount that I do. It's a good thing. They always guess lower. Much lower. Don't be bummed about being 5'8'' and 154. I'm an inch shorter and 8lbs heavier. You'll get to your goal. It's not supposed to be a competition between the two of you. You should be doing this for yourself, for your health.
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I tell people how much weight I want to lose they look at me and tell me I don't have that much on me to lose. I'm sure they're being sincere, and in this day and age, I think we're used to seeing people outside their healthy range. Sounds like she's the one with issues if she has nothing better to do than advertise other people's weight.

I'm darn proud to weigh 231, I used to weigh 251. Be proud of your 154, you earned it. You may not be at the goal you desire yet, but that's just a matter of time.
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm about 5' 7 1/2" or so and weigh about 160. No one believes me when I tell them because they think I'm a lot less. Apparently, I hide my weight well. Please don't feel bad for weighing 154. Just remember it is just a number.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    People are always shocked to find out how much I weigh, I am 5'7 weighing in at 150! Most say there is no way possible. One of my bigger friends who wears 5 sizes above me didn't believe me as she weighs the exact same and we are the same height. She actually made me jump on a scale to prove it. While it is obvious she is overweight and I look like I weight 25lbs less than her we are the same - difference - body fat percentage while I am @ 24% she is @ 32%, scale truly means nothing!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yes, you are being too sensitive. If the truth be told, nobody really cares.
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I too have always weighed more than people think. But I can also lift and carry more than most people think. Ive had plenty of people make comments on how strong I am (sounds silly to say it out loud but its true). Even when Im weighing more than I want to Im always fine w/my number since I know alot of it is muscle :) AND my journey on MFP is making me look better and get even more muscle....
  • Tanishhaaaaaa
    Tanishhaaaaaa Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh less than people think I do....
    I'm 4ft 11 and weigh 112lbs, but people seem to think I'm much more.
    I still look really chubby.
  • pbergin2
    pbergin2 Posts: 3
    Options
    Who cares. Its just a number! If I weighed that I would be singing it from the rafters! I don't know why everyone is so wrapped up in the number and whether or not we look it or not. (Myself included ;) Its how you feel. How you present yourself. And, how comfortable you are in your own skin. If people are passing judgment on you based on a number on the scale and not by what is truly important - to hell with them anyway! :flowerforyou:
  • EmilyB85
    EmilyB85 Posts: 5
    Options
    Im very guarded about my weight at 5'9 I always thought being 151 pounds is excessive. Now I see its not all about weight, I have lost inches and have far less body fat than last year and my weight has not changed. Having said that I still wouldnt tell my boyf what I weigh. I think its something people are insecure about needlessly. If we were all more open perhaps there wouldn't be such emphasis on it. Be happy in yourself and the progress you are making.
  • Michelle_Nicole
    Michelle_Nicole Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Dont feel bad about yourself you seem like you are doing great and at a healthy range! I had this happen to me a few weks ago and got a little bit upset over it too. I am at 127 and 5'3 I work with 2 girls who are also trying to lose weight and are both my height. Based on appearances we all look the same so I though they were the same weight as me but when it came up in one day I found out they wer both under 120! One was 114 and the other just hit 115. Just remember that everyone carries their weight differently!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you weigh more than people think you do, it's because you LOOK smaller. I like when people think I weigh less than I do!

Trust me, it's a good thing. :flowerforyou:

I agree. If your weight is evenly distributed, e.g., not concentrated in your stomach or butt, you're going to look smaller. That's a good thing!
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'd rather LOOK like I weigh less than be hung up on a # on the scale. I'm 5'11 & when I weighed 144 I looked like I weigh more than I do currently...which is somewhere in the 150s (I'm 29 days scale-free so have no clue). My advice: try not to place so much value in a number. It's just a number. Focus on how you look & feel which is the best indicator of your success. Great job, by the way :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and weight as you are.

I think that because so soso many people lie about their weight, it skews what the general public "thinks" is a good weight.

Remember when Tyra told the world she weighed 170? And everyone was duly shocked..b-b-but she's a MODEL how come she doesn't weigh 105!!?

I also want to get down about 8-10 more lbs, and stay there. It's a perfectly healthy and attainable goal.

But I'm not fat right now, and neither are you. Don't let an unthinking comment ruin your day.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Weight and BMI are NOT good indicators of health, especially for taller women. The taller you are, the more likely that your BMI estimate will be off. If you have larger bones, or heavier bones, you will weigh more (i.e. people with delicate builds or with osteoporisis will weigh less, but I don't think you probably wanna lose weight that way, right?). If you have more muscle, your body will be more compact & trim & you will have smaller measurements, yet you could weigh more than someone who has less muscle and more fat. So weight alone should really NOT be your sole indicator of success or failure.
    If you rarely get sick, if you are able to do all the physical activities you want to do, if you have energy, if your fingernails grow quickly and your hair is healthy & shiny, those are all indications that you are healthy regardless of what the scale (or some dumb coworker) has to say.

I am 5'10" with a muscular frame, and my doctor has said that my goal weight should be 175-180. Which still puts me, "officially" in the "overweight" category according to BMI charts. So screw the charts! I'm not starving myself or doing anything unhealthy just to suit someone else's ideal of beauty. I'm doing this for me, so I can be healthy, at whatever weight that happens to be.
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Oh wow i feel kinda bad i just said the samething to my sister in law when she told me her weight, but i honestly didnt mean it as a bad thing i meant it more as a good think like wow you look great for that weight range. but the fact that she blurted out someone elses weight to you, im sure if she gets into conversation with another person she will probably spill the beans! but its really nothing to be assamed off!
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try being positive about this situation instead of feeling bad about it. Instead of feeling bad because you weigh ten pounds more than her (which isn't a big amount, by the way) tell yourself (and her, if necessary) that you probably weigh ten pounds more because you work out a lot and you have more muscle tone than she does. Muscle weighs more than fat. Two people can be the same height and size but if one of them has more muscle they will weigh more. This could be why "you don't look like you weigh that much". You're toned and in shape.

Also, stop obsessing about the scale. Do you feel good in your clothes? Have you made progress with weight loss? Do you feel stronger than you did when you started your weight loss journey? If you don't get "yes" answers to these questions ask yourself questions that can make you feel better. Don't let other people determine how you feel about yourself. There will ALWAYS be people who weigh less, are taller, slimmer, shorter, prettier, uglier, etc. You have to love you for who you are and what you have or will accomplish!

Also, you should start to evaluate why this girl says these things to you. Is she just catty? Is she jealous of you? Is she miserable in her life and wants to make others feel the same? Whatever her reason don't let someone else determine how you feel about yourself.

Finally, if these ten pounds have to be a big deal to you then just keep working at it and you will get them off. Just continue to love yourself along the way - regardless how others TRY to make you feel!
  • gatorgirl7
    gatorgirl7 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    That happened to me at WW...I can't tell you how many times (even at goal) people would say "You do NOT look like you weigh that much" ::shrugs:: I guess we just "carry it well"?

I've been on the scale twice since January--am doing more weights so don't want to get discouraged if it goes up. I got on the scale yesterday morning and almost cried...and then checked out my shoulders and arms (I've had TWO compliments on them in the last three days) and my booty...I'll take weighing more if I can look like this ;-)
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am 58 and weigh 204.6. I would love to weigh 154. Take that weight and be happy with it. In fact you just need to maintain and not even lose.
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    She sounds very insecure to me. Don't concern yourself with her and instead put your efforts into you. Your opinion about you counts where as hers does not.

As for weight perceptions, well lots of people have tried guessing my weight and they're all about 30lbs or under my actual weight. Although I have a weight goal I'm more interested in how I look and feel - that's why I workout as much as I can.

Just be happy with yourself.